Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions for those with nitrous I just puchased a zex wet kit for my 03 lightning I want to know if I should keep it and run it or sell it if I run it what is a safe shot on a stock 03 block I called zex and they said I could run like a 75 no problem without a tune even anymore I would need a tune I just want to know how good these systems are and if it is worth it to run it
Justin

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
alpinelightning said:
I have some questions for those with nitrous I just puchased a zex wet kit for my 03 lightning I want to know if I should keep it and run it or sell it if I run it what is a safe shot on a stock 03 block I called zex and they said I could run like a 75 no problem without a tune even anymore I would need a tune I just want to know how good these systems are and if it is worth it to run it
Justin
Justin,

Rob used a Zex wet kit for sometime I believe, but he sold that unit to move to a Racetested Nitrous Kit.

Rob can probably chime in here to assist ya better or possibly Denny from Racetested who is a supporting vendor here on LR!

-Chris

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Hi Justin

I ran the Zex kit for @ 2 full years on my Lighting, was def one of the  first, if not the first Lightning to run it. I had absolutely no problems with it at all, it ran flawless from the day I put it in to the day I sold it. (I ran 75 HP with 4-6 lbs of pulley, et's were 11.8 - 12.0's).

I have nothing bad to say about the kit, it has three wires to hook up, can be installed from start to finish in prob under 1 hour, and is 100% self contained in a very easy to mount box.

There is no doubt it's claim to  fame was as an import  4 + 6 cyl Nitrous System, and also as more of an entry level kit, but due to it's simplicity it caught on for the V-8's too. It's quite simple, the solenoids are small, and there are reports of a Solenoid failing here and there,  (That could be death to your motor under the wrong conditions) But again mine never failed and mine got "A LOT of use" so I have no bad to say about it.

Just recently I was talking to Sal of PSP about it, and he mentioned it being very un-consistant on the dyno, he said he's dyno'd the same Lightning 2 or 3 times in a row, during the same dyno session, running the Zex Kit, and he got diff results each and every time.

It is what it is; the least expensive system on the market, the easiest to hook up, and the simpliest. I have since then upgraded to the Best Nitrous System on the Planet, "Race Tested". Having FULL CONTROL over the system, being able to dial in the power level, tell it when to start and stop, and having the first Solenoids in the World especially made to Pulse, IS the Diff of night and day.  :smt023 :smt023

You already have it, many others run it, so schitt ya USE IT, but tell us a little about your set up (MODS) and  we'll let you know if 75HP is ok. If you like Nitrous ( YOU WILL :D ) consider selling the system and upgrading after a while, thats all  ;)

I do have to mention I had "A LOT" of internal damage in my motor when we just rebuilt it,
I've only been to the track twice with the Race Tested System, and this damage was clearly not new, so if I had to point a finger it would be from too much boost, too much Nitrous, too much timing, too high a shift point, and hitting it with 100% n20 power each time I went WOT on Spray. Everyone will tell you THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING,
(hitting the Motor with Max Power from a dead stop)  :smt018

·
Registered
261 Posts
The easiest way to think about this is Zex and the rest of the competition are like a Mustang GT and we are a Ford GT. There is a big difference in performance and technology. We can offer the best in performance and safety but the others will create some added fun if that's all you are looking for.

Rob,
I believe why Sal can't get consistant results is because the way Zex has the nitrous pressure adjust fuel delivery. The set-up is not that accurate or reliable. I also know many people have good luck with Zex because the power increases are not that great for a 5.4 motor and Zex filters heavily on their systems so you don't have as hard of a lean out like other kits but power and consistancy is compromised.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only mods as of now that I have Rob are a psp intake and Flowmaster exhaust so its pretty much stock if it helps I bought a aem wideband guage to monitor my a/f before I start modding away I plan on adding a sct tune by sal when I get a programmer and a 4lb pulley
Justin
truck 4270 of 4270
2003 svt Lightning

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Thats the best set up to have for running Nitrous :smt023

75 HP IS NO PROB [smilie=fingersx.gif]
(if I can do it on 4lb lower, 2lb upper, ported eaton, CIA, TB, Etc..., you can do it stock) ;)

And when you add the 4lb and SCT, Sal knows exactly what to do, YOUR IN GOOD HANDS
:cheers:

G

·
Be interesting to see this year. I use to run a Zex kit without any trouble. JLP uses Zex - but theres not enough Racetested out there for me to fully make up my mind. I'm still being held back.

Subscribing [smilie=popcorn.gif]

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've seen stock gen 2s spraying 100 shots. They all run very strong and most seem to have traction issues in the first 60ft. I guess it's just too much too soon. Even rolling out 50ft or so results in tire spin.

The racetested system and their controler is whats so awsome. You can simply dial in how much, how soon, and how safe (fuel first) you want it to be.

Rich

·
Registered
393 Posts
Racetested doesn't have an exclusive on controllers...anyone can add a controller on to their system!

I hate to say this, but this site is getting to sound like one big commericial!

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Fomo,

It's a commercial because we hand picked and invited each and every vendor here, (I begged them is a better way to put it) NOT ONE CAME TO US, WE WENT TO THEM.

WHY YOU ASK ???
Because I (and many others) believe in their Products, and their Customer Service.
Me, Chris, and all Staff, agreed on one thing "very clearly" when we made Lightning Rodder.
We would only have the Best Vendors here, hence we would have no Vendor bashing, because there would be no reason to. (we have a special area for that, and it hasn't been used once)
As a result, we have what I feel is the best vendors and members in a Lightning Community, (not one post deleted for BS, not one member banned) Members, Vendors, Manufactures, are all one.

I ran SFPH Uppers (have 4 of them), Lower Pulley, Gatorback Belts, (have 3), Puller Tools, etc, for 3 full years now, I've been buying from Sal (PSP) for 3 years, I've been running the Race Tested System for over a year now, got Factory Tech Products and Bling through Chickman Man, Plasma Booster from JJ years ago, etc.
ALL BEFORE LIGHTNING RODDER WAS EVER HERE

I know I sometimes sound like a commercial, but I honestly believe in these products.
As for any system using these controls, "absolutely". Jim of JDM and Sal of PSP have been using the original version of the Maximiser for years before anyone else, the problem is NO ONE'S Solenoids (that I know of) are made to Pulse, except RT's.

Fear not Ryan,
Myself, Vinnie, Sal, (Prob Gator), Pitch Black, "and a bunch" of other L's are now running the Race Tested Kit, (also a bunch of Cobra's)

This year will be a great Nitrous Year, and should answer anyone's questions for use on a L, and or Cobra. WOO HOO....................

·
Registered
393 Posts
I understand why you are pushing your vendors products...I just don't care for a site that pushes anyone's products!

It poisons peoples minds into thinking that these products are the best...when really they are the products of the paying vendors or vendors that gave you products!

I do respect the fact that you did not bash the ZEX kit and gave it an honest review, as this is a thread about ZEX.

Just my .02 worth, I'd like to see the commericials toned down a bit...You have a good site here, but If it's going to be just a site to promote your vendors then no thanks!

I hope you don't take this wrong...It is meant to be constructive criticism...I like this site and some of its products, I and many people don't like specific products rammed down our throats all the time!

Let the banners and vendors sections do there jobs!

As far as you running the Racetested system for over a year...not sure about that, but did you have the racetested system on your truck when you left JDM day on 7 cylinders??

I don't remember you ever having that problem with the ZEX kit??

Yes, people have been using progressive controllers for years, but they are not racetested products!

You make it sound like racetested invented NOS or controllers!

Next you'll be saying that racetested invented the internet....lol

Rob, this site is succesful in part by your good work and that of Chris', I mean no disrespect to you guys, just making you aware of how this comes across.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Not taken it wrong at all my Brother, constructive criticism is very good, thanks.
God knows I put way too much energy and focus in my Lightning and involvement in the community. This is a great place, and I want it to be open minded.
Point well taken  :cheers:

EDIT
I moved the rest to the nitrous section for a few reasons.
http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1154.0

Lets keep this post on topic, we have a new member asking a question

·
Registered
26 Posts
(Un-biased mode switched firmly on)

Our motors come as stock in a "high" state of tune, this makes them sensitive.
Smaller, less powerful overall but sensitive none the less.
Over here i'm afraid Zex has just about the worst name in the buisiness, you see the;
"Patented Active fuel control" on both the wet and dry systems is a bit of a "one trick pony".
Basically it whacks the fuel pressure / delivery up to max whatever you do and whatever the bottle pressure, or at least it usually does.
Sometimes it does it almost right.
Whatever you do check the plugs / dyno run several times and take the average before making changes, it can go full rich 9 times then almost right on the 10th, and if you've timed it for the 9 times....................
I don't know how the over rich condition will affect the lightning motor, over here it blows out the spark for a couple of turns then finally lights late and either blows a ring land / detonates a piston or causes a lean backfire and destroys the intake, maybe its different with a S/C.
( :LOL And people call rich "safe" !)
Most people can't even feel a rich misfire so don't get warning it's comming.

Tip: Buy a spare filter, or try to. Its locked up inside the unit and becomes a limiter after a few bottles have been through the system (at least on our gas anyway) and makes the mixture even richer
Maybe fit an external filter ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:
Fear not Ryan,
Myself, Vinnie, Sal, (Prob Gator), Pitch Black, "and a bunch" of other L's are now running the Race Tested Kit, (also a bunch of Cobra's)

This year will be a great Nitrous Year, and should answer anyone's questions for use on a L, and or Cobra. WOO HOO....................
Dude........Iam getting nitrous? :smt017

1 - 14 of 14 Posts