Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I must be having a midlife crisis or something.

I bought this:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Not a Lightning, but still ok in my book!

·
AntiSocial
660 Posts
LT1/10 speed?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Nice, what's under the hood?
6.2L LT1. GEN5 SBC. 455 BHP/455 lb-ft. You can make about 500 WHP with a typical cammed/bolton/intake/tuned LT1 on pump. If you go E85 550 WHP is very doable. If I wanted to boost something I'd rather go the Coyote route. The LT1 is capable of making good power boosted, but it's not a forged motor, and defeating the computers to get the DI system to work well at higher HP levels has been a PITA for tuners. They are starting to figure it out though. Coyote just shine when boosted though. I tell people that I prefer my Fords boosted and my Chevrolets N/A.

It's a broad and strong motor but this car's really about handling with cars costing 6 figures. I've never experienced a car that had close to the handling limits that this thing has.

Here's a pretty good test of the car.

On a real note, what made you go Camaro?
I traded my 02 Camaro SS in on it. But seriously why I switched brand loyalty is two fold. First Ecoboost as a V8 replacement is gay and overrated. You want to force me to replace my V8's then give me a straight 6 and not a V6. Making the power a Ecoboost makes with the amount of boost and compression it runs is nothing special, it's expected.

Second when Ford introduced the GEN6 Mudstain the hype leading up to it was they were going to prioritize weight reduction and come with significantly less weight than S197. This went on for like 2 years as to what was supposed to happen. Then when it did drop it had gained a bunch of weight and seemed very compromised to help it act as a global car. Then the lead engineer is making stupid claims like they're trying to compete with Porsche and BMW with the new Mudstain and saying that they're not worried about what Camaro or Challenger is doing. WTF kind of dumb ass shit is that? If Ford said we're not worried about what GM and FCA is doing with their trucks we're trying to compete with Land Rover and MB when designing the next generation F150 you'd be like WTF. What they were really saying is that Alpha is about to eat the S550 chassis performance a new one seeing as Alpha is a much better performance platform than S550 so we want to act like we don't care. Then the Mustang fanboys (which I very much used to be) were showing it a bunch of love regardless of being overweight, but then they want to call cars like GEN5 Camaros POS because of their weight. (and I don't disagree) Really? A comparable GEN6 Mustang weighs nearly as much as a GEN5 Camaro. That 3,700 lb claim everyone pushes is BS unless you want a no option, small wheel/tire/brake car. A 18+ GT premium PP car is a legit 3,860 lb car. That is ridiculous for a Mustang with an all aluminum, 5 liter, N/A small block.

Look Coyote is an awesome motor for boosting and turning the Mustang into the modern day MKIV Supra, but I don't care for all that. It's cool, but not what I'm interested in. I used to drive a modded Terminator.

Seriously if you don't know why someone would want a GEN6 SS 1LE over a Mustang you should drive one. If you want a Mustang that will track as well you better be thinking GT350R. In fact Randy Pobst turn identical times with the SS 1LE and the GT350R at Willow Springs. Generally the GT350R will produce slightly better times but it has a slight weight advantage with its stripped interior and CF wheels, 71 more HP, and it wears Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's which are basically R-compounds and noticeably grippier than the 1LE's GY F1 Supercar tires. In an attempt to build a GT to compete Ford came out with the PP2 and used the GT350R's wide (305 at all corners) Pilot SC2's. THE GEN5 Z/28 is generally thought of as a slower track car than the GEN6 SS 1LE as well.

Sorry for the rant but switching brand loyalty was a big deal for me. Got tired of Ford always half-stepping to Camaro with their chassis/suspension setup. The only Generation that I prefer Mustang from a chassis/suspension standpoint is the GEN5 cars. S197 > Zeta IMO. I still love older Mustangs like Foxbodys and SN95 chassis cars, as it's what I grew up loving, but if you're honest the playforms are pretty lousy. They're loose as hell and their suspension design both sucks and the geometry of its bad design is god aweful. They're just lightweight with a huge aftermarket and will house about any motor you want to throw in one.

I still have my L and claim it to be the best vehicle I've ever had. I love my L and would have a very hard time ever selling it. It has been an excellent vehicle for me. With nearly 200K its factory motor and tranny still work great. Overall it's given me very few issues. Also I still buy Fords. I bought my wife a Taurus in March. But comparing Mustang to Camaro I prefer this generation Camaro as it rides on a much better platform. Coyote and its easy of boosting big HP with does make a compelling case for Mustang though. Also Mustang is likely a little easier to live with on a daily bases. Still if you can DD something like a Terminator then a GEN6 Camaro is a much easier car to live with.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
LT1/10 speed?
Negative. The 1LE cars only come with manual transmissions. (GM just released a ZL1 1LE with an A10, but that's new) It's a very good manual though. But the auto is faster overall.

GM needs to quit with these 2.70'ish rear gears in their auto Camaros though. It really takes away from the overall performance. Mustang and Challenger use much more ideal rear gears in their auto cars. The GEN6 SS 1LE uses a 3.73 with an electronic LSD.

·
AntiSocial
660 Posts
Negative. The 1LE cars only come with manual transmissions. (GM just released a ZL1 1LE with an A10, but that's new) It's a very good manual though. But the auto is faster overall.

GM needs to quit with these 2.70'ish rear gears in their auto Camaros though. It really takes away from the overall performance. Mustang and Challenger use much more ideal rear gears in their auto cars. The GEN6 SS 1LE uses a 3.73 with an electronic LSD.
They always neuter the automatics. The 4th Gen came with 2.73s and optional 3.23, while the T56 had 3.42. IIRC Ford does the same thing with the Mustang though. Best gears you can get are 3.55 and the manual can get 3.73. Mopar has always under geared theirs too. My 07 CSRT8 had I think 3.08 or something, and the regular Hemis had 2.82.
The sad part is, the automatics are quicker even with the taller gears, so just think of what they could do with the same gearing as the manuals.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They always neuter the automatics. The 4th Gen came with 2.73s and optional 3.23, while the T56 had 3.42. IIRC Ford does the same thing with the Mustang though. Best gears you can get are 3.55 and the manual can get 3.73. Mopar has always under geared theirs too. My 07 CSRT8 had I think 3.08 or something, and the regular Hemis had 2.82.
The sad part is, the automatics are quicker even with the taller gears, so just think of what they could do with the same gearing as the manuals.
One thing I'll give GM props for compared to Ford is they run a Vipers .50 final overdrive gear in their M6 cars. This allows you to run something like a 4.10 without killing your highway driving. 4.10's with a .62 or .65 final overdrive can be a bitch on the highway. IDK how easy it is to change out the rear gears on these new IRS cars though. I'm pretty sure the Mustang still uses a 8.8" based housing, but IDK about GM. As long as it's not that 7.625" S10 BS the GEN4's had. I think some 3.91's (which the GEN5 SS1LE came with) would of been the best choice for this car. I know these newer auto transmissions are different, but can you throw a bigger stall in them like the older transmission? Many compensate for the crappy rear gearing with a bigger stall.

The LT1 is broad and makes good torque so it pulls the 3.73's pretty decently though. I always thought the 4"+ bore LS motors made much better torque than the 3.9" bore LS motors. The LS1 IMO always felt sort of VTEC'ish. Kind of weak down low and then it would just surge at around 3,500 RPM's. People feel that because most factory LS motors don't turn 7,000 RPM's (even though an LS7 with a 4" stroke redlines at 7,200 RPM's, but with a 4.125" bore it breathes like a mofo so it can manage those RPM's) and they're large OHV motors that they're weak topend torque monsters, but not really. IMO an old short stroke 302 SBF or 350 based LT1 feels much more like a stump puller than an LS motor. LS motors shine when you take them to redline and they feel like they're revving higher than they really are. Another cool thing to them is it's easy to change their personality with a cam swap.

·
AntiSocial
660 Posts
Yep, you can put in a stall converter in the new ones. Works wonders, just like the older ones. Thats what I did in my 96 T/A. Vigilante converter and 4.10s woke up the old 4L60E.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
9,506 Posts
Just not in a straight line lol.
Not important. At least it won't self immolate itself and burn your house to the ground. Or drive itself into a fire truck on the highway while on auto pilot. And more importantly, it makes noise. Don't know about you, but a silent vehicle is about as interesting as watching grass grow. Or like Kenny, watching paint dry. The battery fires are enough of an issue, that tesla did a software change which, funnily enough, reduces driving range considerably. Where's the nearest supercharger?? LMAO!!

·
local painter
2,591 Posts
Or like Kenny, watching paint dry.
I spend a lot time force drying paint.. I use that time to read news, painter forums-groups and mostly lightning stuff. Music in the headphones ect.
It would be terribly boring without my smart phone and good tunes.
Also have you seen the new electric mustang concept? the camaros are cool but how cool is a sparky stang!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts