Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Panty Dropper
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for tips/suggestions on hiding the starter solenoid and the main harness connections just below it. I’m somewhat against putting them in the wiper cowl, because I want to be able to drive it in any weather, not worry about them when washing/etc. If others have done it and have no issues, let me know. The other threads I’ve looked at don’t go into a lot of detail, but I assume this is where they’ve done the hiding. My battery is up front, and as such I’ll leave the PCM in place since it’s behind the battery anyways.

·
Former Rowing Team.
11,855 Posts
I kinda researched that and pm'ed a few who have done it. For my needs which are retaining heat/ac/wipers, i would have to extend the entire harness so i can tuck it away further from the most common areas. As far as i know, no one has extended the harnesses in these trucks yet. My battery is relcated so the solenoid cover IMO is an eye sore to me.

·
Aaron
3 Posts
There is a guy on here that posted pictures of his wire tuck and looked awesome. He routed all of the wires and solenoid to the inside of the firewall (behind the glove box). Would require some drilling and rubber grommets, but turned out nice. I clicked on a thread called (show me your solenoids) and found it.

·
Panty Dropper
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve talked to Josh a little about it. I don’t mind the harness staying inside the engine bag, as the plastic that runs along the firewall doesn’t look bad to me, and I’m not shaving/painting if I were to hide that portion anyways. Solenoid seems like I could drill a small hole for the harness side to feed into cowl, then mount solenoid in cowl, and drill hole near PCM for the battery side connection. Starter wire then becomes an issue.

Harness connectors seem like you could just dismount them from the bracket, then secure the connectors behind battery somewhat, but I’m not too fond of that idea either.

·
Panty Dropper
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a guy on here that posted pictures of his wire tuck and looked awesome. He routed all of the wires and solenoid to the inside of the firewall (behind the glove box). Would require some drilling and rubber grommets, but turned out nice. I clicked on a thread called (show me your solenoids) and found it.
That’s kind of what got me thinking about doing this, but he doesn’t really go into much detail of what he did, just pictures after the fact. Extending wires isn’t something I really want to do either. My own limitations may be what keep this from being feasible.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,542 Posts
flat_line did it on his and the guy he sold it to was having wiring issues left and right

·
Carbon Fiber Addict
12,681 Posts
I've done this and didn't have to cut any wires, only wire I had to extend was the smaller Alternator wire.

I'm also running the HDC Circuitry drag kit and it worked perfectly with my setup without extending or modifying any wires.

·
Panty Dropper
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a wire tuck and hid all that stuff under where the battery sits
Did you hide the entire harness that goes across the firewall in the wiper cowl area, or just drill a hole for the starter solenoid and hide the harness connections?

·
Carbon Fiber Addict
12,681 Posts
  • Wire Tuck
  • Battery Relocated to rear
  • I/C hoses tucked
  • Firewall Holes Filled & Smoothed
  • PCV Delete with catch can tucked to the frame rail
  • Oil, Boost & Fuel Pressure Senders Remote Mounted & Tucked in wiper cowl

·
All I want to do is break into 11's
1,293 Posts
LoganR

To answer your question I ran the harness in side the wiper cowel area. i did not have to extend anything except for the small wire on the solenoid with the boot. I punched a hole on the driver side in the corner between the fender and the fuse box and then drilled another hole just behind the AC condencer for the harness to come out. Keep in mind I de-pinned EVERY single connector(no small task!) so they would fit threw a smaller hole and would look cleaner. Also since I had the entire harness on my bench I took off the factory wire loom and wrapped everything in flextech and heat shrunk every end to every plug. It was alot of work but looked neat in the end

·
Panty Dropper
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LoganR

To answer your question I ran the harness in side the wiper cowel area. i did not have to extend anything except for the small wire on the solenoid with the boot. I punched a hole on the driver side in the corner between the fender and the fuse box and then drilled another hole just behind the AC condencer for the harness to come out. Keep in mind I de-pinned EVERY single connector(no small task!) so they would fit threw a smaller hole and would look cleaner. Also since I had the entire harness on my bench I took off the factory wire loom and wrapped everything in flextech and heat shrunk every end to every plug. It was alot of work but looked neat in the end
I remember reading someone did that, I now realize it was you! Lol In speaking with Josh, he told me how he did similar work, albeit with larger holes, so that the harness connectors would fit through. I think my issue is going to be with the PCM connector, as it is quite long.

Looking at the solenoid, it seems like you could use the existing bolts as studs, rotate the solenoid 90° so the holes line up (not sure if the spacing is right), and secure it with nuts on the backside. Or are most just securing it to the cowl floor? Mounting on the “wall” would seemingly help with water collecting around the solenoid

·
Former Rowing Team.
11,855 Posts
  • Wire Tuck
  • Battery Relocated to rear
  • I/C hoses tucked
  • Firewall Holes Filled & Smoothed
  • PCV Delete with catch can tucked to the frame rail
  • Oil, Boost & Fuel Pressure Senders Remote Mounted & Tucked in wiper cowl
Can it still be relocated if you did not delete everything behind the dash(A/C, Ducting, Heater Core, Brackets, Airbag, etc)?

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,483 Posts
This is how I helped Carmelo do his wire tuck.

No wires had to be cut or extended other than the starter cables, which his were cut short to begin with, so stock ones may not need to be touched.

I cut 1 notch on either side of the firewall, so the fuse box harness can wrap into the wiper cowl on the drivers side, run across, and drop down on the passenger side. Sure you see some wiring this way, but there's NO cutting/lengthening of wires, and NO de-pinning of connectors. The giant PCM connector has no problem passing thru the wiper cowl area, and it'd even fit with the wipers back in there since all that's in there is the harness bundle once it's done. And allows for stock PCM mounting.

For the engine harness & trans harness, etc. I drill 2 holes side by side in the bottom side of the wiper cowl, that land right above the valve cover, then connect those 2 holes into an oval. This allows me to drop all the engine/trans harnesses & connectors thru that hole, and make the big connections inside the wiper cowl, rather than on the firewall bracket. You don't see this hole at all either because it's on the bottom of the wiper cowl floor. I trim the holes with door edge molding so no chaffing goes on.

In these pics attached, you can see the 2 notches on either side of the firewall. I don't have any pics of the hole in the wiper cowl floor.

In these pics, he kept the solenoid and e-fan relays on the firewall, which did clutter it up still. Since then we flipped the solenoid inside the wiper cowl as well, mounted to the floor of the wiper cowl with self tappers, tucked the battery cables & starter cables inside the wiper cowl thru the same hole in the bottom of the cowl as the harnesses, and ditched the melting JDM fan relays for my fan harness kit which mounts them up on the radiator support hidden below the radiator tank. @svtmadness needs to post pics of what it looks like with that stuff done, I don't have any of his handy after we moved the rest.

Attachments

·
Panty Dropper
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for posting that! In my head I was envisioning an intact oval, not an open ended one, which is why I thought the PCM would have issues. That looks like an excellent solution

·
Pilsung
345 Posts
What is your method of controlling water when washing? Do you have issues with water getting into the harness connectors inside the cowl causing corrosion?
Sadly I have to cover some areas when washing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts