Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sent in my blower to be ported by Steigemeier, and this morning they call and say the porting is finished but want to know if I want them to strip my rotors for $50??!! :-?

So I call them, and they say that it is flaking......I know for a fact that when I sent my blower in there was three tiny flaking spots happening, and I have pics, I told them this and they said when they wash it the coating just comes right off!!!!  :-? :-?

Anybody else have this problem?  I have a strange feeling they are giving me someone else's rotor pack and snout and mine is elsewhere???

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have had this problem with one of my Eatons I got it fixed though. I had a couple of chips inthe coating and when I cleaned them they started to flake off even bigger.

I would like ot knowif they are going to recoat the rotors after they strip them. The coating is on there to reduce friction and heat in the Eaton.

Brent

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well... if you don't strip it than you run the risk of getting those flakes in the rear bearings. And most asuredly youd get them on/in the IC.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've heard of others removing the coating and not having any problems.

Rich

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wydopnthrtl said:
Well... if you don't strip it than you run the risk of getting those flakes in the rear bearings.  And most asuredly youd get them on/in the IC.

Also,  I'm pretty sure I've heard of others removing the coating and not having any problems.

Rich
So do you think I should stip the rotors when I get it back?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well... there is always the chance your gonna get some in there during shipping.  I think it's a pretty slight chance though.

If your gonna do it yourself, Take some vasoline and coat the front/rear bearings then you can flake it off by hand.  Just don't scrape the rotors! The clearances are very tight in these things so use a *soft* plastic scraper or your fingernail.

The easiest & safest way by far has got to be a water pressure wand while they are all apart at Steigemeier  :smt023
Another thing is that if they did it for you then you got no worries about a bearing failing.. and who's fault it *might* be.

Rich

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
JJ has a working relationship with Steigemeier, I would ask him.
BUT I have heard that the coating doesn't do jack, and it's not that uncommon to run
un-coated rotors. AMOF I know of some people (no names mentioned) hehehe
that did not have one single spec of coating left on their rotors and were running the same et's and better than when they had all the coating.
(no it's not me, I have a 02, the coating DOES NOT come off a 02)

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:
JJ has a working relationship with Steigemeier, I would ask him.
BUT I have heard that the coating doesn't do jack, and it's not that uncommon to run
un-coated rotors. AMOF I know of some people (no names mentioned) hehehe
that did not have one single spec of coating left on their rotors and were running the same et's and better than when they had all the coating.
(no it's not me, I have a 02, the coating DOES NOT come off a 02)
Yes, the coating does nothing for performance.

Steig stripped BTJ's rotors and gave him the latest and greatest port job, that along with my dyno tuning netted an 11.19 on the stock blower @ 15lbs of boost.... BTJ will make a post about todays runs, so I'll let him fill you in on the details.

Let them strip them and port it, you wont be disapointed. Steig ROCKS!!!!!

[email protected]

·
Chasing the Bandit
147 Posts
Yes, the coating does nothing for performance.

Steig stripped BTJ's rotors and gave him the latest and greatest port job, that along with my dyno tuning netted an 11.19 on the stock blower @ 15lbs of boost.... BTJ will make a post about todays runs, so I'll let him fill you in on the details.

Let them strip them and port it, you wont be disapointed. Steig ROCKS!!!!!

[email protected]
AMEN BROTHER!

BTJ

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you're really worried about not having a coating on the rotors, you're better off upgrading to
the graphite rotor pack the '03 Cobra uses.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
airtroop01 said:
If you're really worried about not having a coating on the rotors, you're better off upgrading to
Are you sure about that? :-?

Every single 03-04 CObra that I have worked on has had the exact same teflon coated rotor packs that the Lightning uses.

Maybe you are thinking of something else. I know there are graphite rotors out there, but they dont come stock on a Cobra..

[email protected]

·
Registered
454 Posts
airtroop01 said:
Are you sure about that? :-?

Every single 03-04 CObra that I have worked on has had the exact same teflon coated rotor packs that the Lightning uses.

Maybe you are thinking of something else. I know there are graphite rotors out there, but they dont come stock on a Cobra..

[email protected]
Hmmm... It was an "option" that Apten (when it was Apten and not Steigemeier) offered.
I thought they came stock on a Cobra... or that was the impression I was under.

The teflon coating on the rotors, I believed to be put there so that the oil being sucked into the motor through the pcv
didn't stick to the rotors. So, if you remove all the teflon, yep, you should still have performance but over time those
rotors might get pretty nasty.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Airtroop the rotors that you are talking about are the Gen 3 rotor packs. They are graphite coated and they are geared different, not sure what the gearing is. They were experimental rotor packs that Ford was testing for the Next Generation L but at the next Gen L went so did the rotor packs. Yes there are some out there but they are very few. This is what I have been told because I was looking for some not to long ago.

·
Registered
361 Posts
ZEM'S04 L said:
I have sent in my blower to be ported by Steigemeier, and this morning they call and say the porting is finished but want to know if I want them to strip my rotors for $50??!! :-?

So I call them, and they say that it is flaking......I know for a fact that when I sent my blower in there was three tiny flaking spots happening, and I have pics, I told them this and they said when they wash it the coating just comes right off!!!!? :-? :-?

Anybody else have this problem?? I have a strange feeling they are giving me someone else's rotor pack and snout and mine is elsewhere???
Rest Easy EVERYONE Gets their SAME Supercharger and Parts sent Back to them. We have done over 800 and Never had a problem with this.

Why do some Eaton rotor packs have Paint Flake? It appears to me that there were a large run of rotors that were coated with a Specific paint that did not Stick-- Once the paint starts to Flake it is a Progressive Problem.
When this coating loads up under the rotor edge it can cause case damage.

I suggest Stripping ALL Paint OFF-We have done this Many times with NO Problems. Cost is $50.00 for us to do this for you.
If you want to Strip this yourself use a aircraft stripper. IMPORTANT: DO NOT LET THIS STRIPPER GO BEHIND THE ROTORS AND INTO THE BEARINGS - IT WILL CAUSE DAMAGE.
Hope this clears this up for you all.

Bob Stiegemeier
Stiegemeier Porting

________
AsiansXX

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Dyno Bob said:
ZEM'S04 L said:

So I call them, and they say that it is flaking......I know for a fact that when I sent my blower in there was three tiny flaking spots happening, and I have pics, I told them this and they said when they wash it the coating just comes right off!!!!  :-? :-?

Anybody else have this problem?  I have a strange feeling they are giving me someone else's rotor pack and snout and mine is elsewhere???
Rest Easy EVERYONE Gets their SAME Supercharger and Parts sent Back to them. We have done over 800 and Never had a problem with this.

Why do some Eaton rotor packs have Paint Flake? It appears to me that there were a large run of rotors that were coated with a Specific paint that did not Stick-- Once the paint starts to Flake it is a Progressive Problem.

I suggest Stripping ALL Paint OFF-We have done this Many times with NO Problems. Cost is $50.00 for us to do this for you.
If you want to Strip this yourself use a aircraft stripper. IMPORTANT: DO NOT LET THIS STRIPPER GO BEHIND THE ROTORS AND INTO THE BEARINGS - IT WILL CAUSE DAMAGE.

Bob Stiegemeier
Stiegemeier Porting
Hey Bob,

Good to see you join this site. Its a great place. :D

Thanks again for all your help getting Mike's blower done and I attribute his consistant times and great performance to the awesome job you did on his blower.

I'll be sending you a few blowers here to get that same port job and I'll be in touch.

[email protected] Motorsports

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dyno Bob said:
ZEM'S04 L said:

Bob Stiegemeier
Stiegemeier Porting
Bob I was in no way blaming you for swapping my rotors, it was just a thought that it may have happened with all the blowers you had for the special you were running. I was merely trying to get advice on wether I should strip the rotors or not, so I apologize if I came off as accusing you all of any wrong doing. Thanks for the information in the post also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.