Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the,

NO make that

THEE BIGGEST AND BADEST "HOW TO" section ???

Chris can you make a Sub Folder for "HOW TO's",
kind of maybe something like this

Gen 1 Lightnings
Discussion of the "First Generation" SVT Lightning (1993-95)
Moderator SlowSVT95

Gen 2 Lightnings
Discussion of the "Second Generation" SVT Lightning (1999-04)
Moderator Rob_02Lightning

Gen 3 Lightnings
Discussion of the upcoming "Third Generation" SVT Lightning (06+)

Supercharged Harely Davidson Edition F150
Discussion of the "Supercharged" Harely Davidson Edition F150 (2000-03)

How To's
A collection of the Worlds Best "How To's", "Lightning/HD's" (all yr's + gen's)

I've made a few over the years, I would be willing to put a couple together,
We can start with stuff like:
Super Charger Removal, Intercooler Cleaning process, Pulley Installs, Ported Eaton's,
T/B's, FTVB, Bars, Loops, Ignition's, NITROUS, Bling Bling, etc

I think if we did A GREAT JOB, it would be a great tool to link people over here.
For instance, anyone on any forum may happen to read a post where someone
is asking a question, and then you can simply reply, there's a great "How To" section here and give a link :D

It's legal, a great way to slip a link in (to this Forum) from another Forum,
and we're helping a Brother or Sister out by giving them a great "How To" ;)

I'm sure Sonic Boom and 99 Black Beast can make some "How To's" on
Auto Detail, and Car Audio & Security, Leeann already has a great "How To"
on How To do a AWESOME Smokey :D, maybe V can do one on
"How To make the Worlds most desirable Lightning" he could post pic's of the Flames and prep work Terry at Pro Glass Did,
we can give links, use pic's, list part numbers and Vendor's if desired, YOU KNOW THE BEST OF THE BEST "How To's"

Your thought's ???

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hmm... You been peeking at the PMs I've been sending Chris, Rob? :D I totally agree - that is an excellent idea. There are SO many possibilities for this...

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
This site is awsome

That sounds good. Every day I surf this site I am seeing nothing but more good things being brought up. Once we get a Gallery that will be the ultimate since we already have video and audo cilps. I am finding my self over here more than NLOC due to the new disscussions on hear.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duende, great minds think alike :D

And GUESS WHAT,
THE GALLERY IS NOW UP AND RUNNING,
WOO HOO

http://www.lightningrodder.com/gallery

I'm going to start calling Chris --> the Wiz Kid <--
OR SOMETHING, NICE JOB CHRIS (as usual).......

BTW
You will have to open a seperate account, and YOU CAN use the same Name and PW (if you desire) as your Forum Account.

G, maybe you can do a "How To" or two on the Exhaust and Front End Changes you've already done to your NEWEST Gen 2

We can DEF make this place rock....................

I'm at work, so I'll have to work on it tonight,

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm working on compiling audio/video clips for Gen 1/2 trucks. Slow start, so far, but I think it'll be a valuable resource that people will actually use, as long as I can get people to start sending their clips in. :D

A comprehensive, easy-to-read how-to source is definitely a must. This is something the other sites really haven't done... Like I've told Chris, my opinion is that we need to think of things the other sites aren't doing, or haven't done well, and do it ourselves in order to draw people in, and keep 'em coming.

...by the way, do we have any sort've site team message board to discuss ideas like this on, or a mailing list?

Take it easy,

EDIT: Holy crap, Chris is on top of things. I just emailed him last night about how valuable a one-stop exhaust audio/video source would be, and it's already added to the main page.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Rob, Jay Lincoln here.

I'd be glad to contribute. Most of my stuff is home built, but very professional, as you know. My first Truck-Traks were built in the olde garage. I've build over 300 sets to date.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, Thomas.

I'm probably what you call a frustrated engineer.

Parts that I thought were overpriced, or could use some improvement, I build myself.

When I started hotrissing my Lightning a lot of parts were not available yet.

I'd be glad to share.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah, I think alot of parts are overpriced as well... I just lack the knowledge to do something about it. :D Hopefully going to Wyotech or SAM will change all that.

One thing I regret is buying the PSP FASTair. It's a great product, don't get me wrong...but I looked at it and thought, 'Crap... I could have done something like that. Just missed out on a learning experience.'

I'm still considering pulling out the foglights and fabricating something there. Not sure how it'll turn out, or how I'll get a tube from the passenger side all the way to the intake. Should be fun though, as long as it doesn't look like crap. :-?

·
Registered
186 Posts
since i'm not going to be able to get a mold mad for my vent pod, i can do a how too make your own vent pod, if anyone is interested. it looks pretty dang good. however, i'm going to make a different one without the vent cut outs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thomas, I have a better idea for collecting air for the air box. It's already on my truck.

I didn't like the idea of putting a scoop under the front facia. I can't keep paint on it, let alone have a scoop survive there.

I can email you some pictures to post if you would like.

I blocked off the sides of the IC heat exchanger with formed aluminum pieces, so the air had very little room to go around the exchanger. This accomplished two things.

First, it made more air go through the exchanger, due to the elimination of the open areas at the end.

Second, it created a high pressure area in front of the heat exchanger. On the drivers side block-off plate, I welded a 2 1/2" diameter tube, that opened into the high pressure area. I hooked a heavy duty flexable hose onto that tube, and ran it into the bottom of the air box. Instant cold air induction. No scoop neccessary!

It works very well above 40 MPH, as the opening for the IC heat exchanger is very large.

;)

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jay Lincoln said:
Hey Rob, Jay Lincoln here.

I'd be glad to contribute. Most of my stuff is home built, but very professional, as you know. My first Truck-Traks were built in the olde garage. I've build over 300 sets to date.

AND I RAN MY 11.81 WITH YOUR AWESOME TRUCK TRAK BARS,
WOO HOO...... We've talked before Jay, and you've helped me, your a great guy and you make an AWESOME Traction Bar, [/b]"the best I've EVER seen"[/b], (and well worth the extra money).
WELCOME AND HELL YA YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE, it's your site.

Sometimes I kick myself in the a$$ for switching to 58" Rancho Bars,
your Truck Trak's don't change the comfort one ioda, THEY WERE AMAZING. BUT the 58" bars sure the hell did. If you remember, my issue was lauching.
I launch with 75 HP of Nitrous and over 600 ft lb's of torque, so unfortunatly what was happening was when I launched, the snubbers were planting so much immediate torque and power with the extra 75 HP at launch, that it was actually lifting the truck and hopping the rear wheels off the groud at launch.

Now the interesting part is, IT DOES NOT EFFECT THE 60FT AT ALL,
I ran the TT's @ 2 years, and made @24 Passes on them.
Each and every one on slicks was a 1.6 60ft and a few non-nitrous 1.7 60 ft times, And there was NO HOPPING ISSUE until I turned the Nitrous up from 50 HP to 75 HP. Unfortunatly at the time my Nitrous System was full 100% power at initial WOT so that extra 75 HP and massive torque was actually lifting the truck up.
GREAT EXAMPLE RIGHT HERE

WELCOME JAY AND PLEASE DO JUMP IN, YOU HAVE AN AMAZING PRODUCT...

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have step by step R & R of plenum and throttle body from when i put my ported and polished on if those will help i just gotta find my camera cord for the computer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Rob, thanks for the great report on my Truck-Traks. When I first built them, they were primarily designed for street and limited strip use. I wanted a bar that was comfortable on the street and could be used at the track too.

Leave it to drag racers to find the limits to everything. Truck-Traks have a very agressive instant center, and aren't very adjustable, so they to have limits. Sal tested them to 11.20, and felt they were fairly consistant to 11.50.

Very high powered trucks will "S" bend the springs with Truck-Traks since the spring is the only locating link for the rear end. I can make them less agressive by shortening the rear vertical member. I have the parts to make an adjustable set, but testing on my mild truck would be pointless. My plan is to save them and fit them to a Gen III. :D

In the video, the were definitely unloading the tires. Sometimes you can dial that out with snubber clearance and shock settings. The truck squatted on launch, like it should, but the shocks couldn't control the rebound.

When you get to that point, it is easier to control the motion by eliminating the rear end rotation completely.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I agree Jay
I shouldn't be running stock shocks at my power level,
especially now since the next time out is with 100 Nitrous HP :D
WOO HOO

I'm sure I could have tuned them in better, had I tried :sad:
I REALLY DO MISS THE COMFY RIDE I USE TO HAVE WITH THEM....

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
YOU ARE THE BEST CLIFF, WOO HOO

WELCOME MY BROTHER [smilie=wavey.gif]

With in minutes we will have an official "HOW TO" section
and you just gave us PLENTY OF AWESOME HOW TO's
THANK YOU CLIFF

Look around and check us out,
We got Pic Gallery
Vid Gallery