Lightning Rodder banner

Why did you go with A/A or A/W Intercooling?

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  lvillelightning 
#1 ·
For a 4v build with water/meth injection that will see alot of time in the mountains, some half-mile races, and maybe some road course duty.... Without considering packing with ice... Which is better suited for more consistent and stable temps?

It looks pretty split here on who goes with what type, but I've not seen much in terms of justification regarding efficiency and discharge air temps.

What kind did you go with and what is your experience or reasoning for doing so?

I'm leaning towards A/A for simplicities sake and weight. Thanks for your input!

--Matt

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the replies! I'm pretty sure now that I'm going to stay A/W now. I'm confident now that if I use a GT500 lower and I/C along with a huge A/W heat exchanger like VMP made for the GT500 with dual 10" fans, I'm sure there will be no heat loading issues like I see with the blower now... Plus the lower cost of not having to fan up the I/C and piping.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
I found out that without GT500 heads, neither the ports nor hardware line up... so since I'm not going to spend over $2500 on heads I will be doing a remote A/W setup.

Since I'm a cheap bastard, www.frozenboost.com has some chinese A/W intercoolers for cheap that I may look into. I've sold a fair amount of blower related components, so I'm going to start buying DOHC motor stuff and big items like intake manifold and terbow. Crazy how much the blower stuff clutters up the engine bay.

How efficient is the stock a/w? I really like the iat I am seeing you guys state from the killer chiller, but how long will it stay that cool? A/a is nice but there really isn't room with my winch there :smt021 If I'm thread jacking I apologize. Don't want to get yelled at for starting a new thread. [smilie=ow[/quote]

I consider the killer chiller a bandaid for an inefficient I/C system. Killer chiller does a pretty good job pulling heat out of the I/C fluid, so if you keep in all the time you'll see great air temps at the expense of underhood temps increasing due to A/C compressor running, extracted heat from the condenser, and engine running slightly hotter. A 2nd order effect of that is the hot air under the hood that the motor ingests is less dense but that is predicated on that your intake filter resides in the engine compartment.

How long will the fluid stay cool, that depends on many factors from your driving habits, blower type, boost level, ambient conditions, fluid capacity... list goes on.

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Discussion starter · #18 ·
I put one on my buddies fox body when I built the turbo kit. They aren't bad pieces at all. It has worked really well too.
Exactly what I was hoping to hear! :smt023

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.