Lightning Rodder banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
It’s the Cobra F-1 Cowl Hood correct?
The under side is smooth. I’ll take some pics where I can. You’ll have to excuse the shitty paint job...
I believe it is. It has been a while, but you can see the difference in the cowl rise contours.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,610 Posts
fdolislager.

Here is mine, custom done by a member here. I wouldn't say it's for looks. But it also doesn't route air to the filter, I have a JLP hose and scoop for that. What this hood specializes in is getting rid of a lot of heat, out the two side vents and out the back of the cowl. Interesting, one night I drove it to work when it would be around 30 degrees when I got off. The windshield had some light ice from humidity freezing on it. Started the truck about 15 minutes before I got off. Didn't turn the defogger on. Windshield was almost clear of ice when I came out to drive home. Heat exiting the back of the cowl evidently took care of it for me. ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's a beauty. Nicely laid out bay too.

Thanks everyone for sharing the pics.

Reactions: cbxer55

·
10,610 Posts
Most of the ones that claim they are ram air, aren't. They all just have a hole overtop the filter area that gets cold air to the filter, doesn't ram it home. Our trucks are blown anyways, they don't need it, Just the cold air is sufficient.

Reactions: fdolislager

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Carid" sells tgat hood
have a $25 gift card from CARiD and would love the link. I have searched and don't believe it to be there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
have a $25 gift card from CARiD and would love the link. I have searched and don't believe it to be there.
Not sure if you wanted a link or not. I looked on ebay and there is all kinds. Here is a link for a cobra style hood.

·
10,610 Posts
CARiD can be problematic searching sometimes. I just found an item I had been looking for yesterday and ordered it. for my Mustang. Diffuser for under the rear body between the tail pipes. Stumbled on it inadvertently. LOL!! So once stumbled upon, ordered.

As for Lightning parts, I have found if you have an 04 like I do, it's way easier to use 03 for searches. There were two different F-150's available in 04, and even Ford parts guys fuck it up at my local dealer. But if you use 03, it eliminates that problem. Also for hoods, just use F-150. I found a lot of hoods available for 03 F-150s there, and a few of them were the less than great Duracrap hoods that Leeproctor mentioned on page 1.

I'll go back and look again and post a link for the hoods available.

Here's all the hoods that CARiD carries for the 99-04 F-150. I don't see the one the OP asked about in the first post.

Reactions: fdolislager

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hood showed up today and had to refuse delivery. Several cracks. Dammit.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Second hood showed up and no cracks. Got it painted and the body shop is having a devil of a time fitting it. The back fits snug against the truck and front is lifted up on driver side. So good for ABC for reshipping, but I'm not happy with all the problems fitting this hood. I started another thread in the fabrication forum looking for help on how to unwarp a hood. fred hood2.jpg Fred hood1.jpg

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It looks rather awesome even in a bad picture. hood on.jpg

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,926 Posts
I had a hood like that and the scoops were just fake no hole solid vents and under side was solid I re sold it years later after keeping it in my basement for 3 or 4 years and went with hardwood at least it lets the heat out.

Reactions: bybyc5

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just saw this thread.
I bought ilaybrk's hood mentioned above (post #38).
I LOVE it.
It was not the ram air version, but it is now.
I had some slight fitment issues that he warned me about before I bought it, but it's fiberglass and can be manipulated very easily.
Had to test fit it several times, added fiberglass (used epoxy resin) where it was needed and reshaped the spots needing it.
I also opened up the hood scoop holes and fabricated an opening under the hood that feeds directly into a fabricated air box that seals to the hood when closed.
NO under hood heated air gets in. Air from the scoop openings and the huge opening from the cowl area is all that goes into the motor.
It's a solid strong hood.
I used aftermarket hood struts, this hood is a little heavier than OE and needed stronger lifts. Stock hinges and latch, no issues or cracks.
If you want I can take pics of the underside and the fabricated air box.
The sound of the whine is different, louder I think. It's not coming from the LF fender anymore, but the cowl area and the scoops.
Not really RAM air, but a great cold air induction.

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,926 Posts
I am so glad it turned out good for you. My wife was so happy when I sold it she hated looking a multiple hoods in the basement now all that is left is stock hood as Hardwood is on truck

21 - 40 of 45 Posts