·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
I don’t have a Duraflex hood, it doesn’t look like that. It is fiberglass but it feels like it’s good quality.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe that was the later version of the AAD Cobra hood with the cowl induction.

·
AntiSocial
21 BMW M550i xDrive, 18 Chevy Equinox LT 2.0T
891 Posts
I have hood lift supports on mine.
I had them on my Cervinis too. Pins aren't needed unless its going to the track or doing high speeds. Struts and the stock latch work fine, as long as the manufacturer reenforces the mounting points.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That red just looks so good compared to this. Is the duraflex a clone of the AAD? I got issues. :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
It’s been a while since I’ve seen that version AAD. I have the “standard” version of the AAD Cobra hood and if I recall, the rise of the cowl induction was a smoother transition and not such an angle like the Duraflex.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s been a while since I’ve seen that version AAD. I have the “standard” version of the AAD Cobra hood and if I recall, the rise of the cowl induction was a smoother transition and not such an angle like the Duraflex.
It's the little things, right? At least that's what the untucked shirt company says. The owner of the red truck doesn't know what hood it is.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,610 Posts
That red just looks so good compared to this. Is the duraflex a clone of the AAD? I got issues. :)

View attachment 538570
Not to mention that the reining body and paint guru on this site, the one that did my hood, says that Duraflex hoods are CRAP. Says he'll charge an arm and a leg to anyone who wants him to make one workable.

Reactions: fdolislager

·
10,610 Posts
First post looks the best. Nice flowing lines, not abrupt like the latter ones.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm still in the hunt with the refined and focused information founded here. Thanks. I wish I could figure out what AAD spells out. Anyway the correct name for the hood may be AAD F-1 Cobra Cowl hood. Rumor also is that the mold was sold and may still be out there. Of interest is that apparently ABC sells ADD hood. That was confusing. About ABC Exclusive shows several lightnings with the hood.
The exact hood in question is still on their homepage here ABC Exclusive Mustangs & Trucks, Jeeps Wrangler, Trailers and Fiberglass Fabrication Service . Their website appears functional enough to take your money. I will inquire and report.

F150 Truck Hoods, SVO Ram-Air Functional Hoods and Lightning Bumpers by ABC Exclusive apparently it can be ordered right here. Did I nail it?
SS 150 Hood
fits 1997-2003 F150s/Expeditions & 2004 F150 Heritage
Part# SS 150
Total Cost (including shipping): $699.95

Material: Hand-laid Fiberglass (black primer finish)

Height: 1.5 inches

Description:
Double sided, smooth finish on both sides.
These hoods are bolt-on using the factory hardware.

This is a true functional RAM AIR system hood. The two vents on the hood are open to allow the air to go straight into the air box.

Reactions: Leeproctor83

·
local painter
3,146 Posts
That one ☝🏻 says “hand laid fiberglass” which tells me that it isn’t a Duracrap hood. The duraflex parts are not actual fiberglass. There similar but extremely thin, fragile and low quality material.
I like the style of that hood.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had one of the original Cobra Hoods and the vents were never functional like the description on that hood above says.

·
10,610 Posts
I had one of the original Cobra Hoods and the vents were never functional like the description on that hood above says.
Well, this one appears to be. Although Ram Air is not really true. All it does it route all the air to a large hole on the underside of the hood. All it's doing is just putting air in the vicinity of the filter, not ramming it into the intake. All my vehicles, including my Ranger, have hoses routing cold air to the vicinity of the filter. I never refer to it as ram air. And in any event, the air is not cold during the warmer months.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, this one appears to be. Although Ram Air is not really true. All it does it route all the air to a large hole on the underside of the hood. All it's doing is just putting air in the vicinity of the filter, not ramming it into the intake. All my vehicles, including my Ranger, have hoses routing cold air to the vicinity of the filter. I never refer to it as ram air. And in any event, the air is not cold during the warmer months.
cbxer55 and all, I am a newbie to all this, but I would think that the air management of this hood has to be superior to stock and all the hoods that are just dress up scoops and cowls (push up bras, which have their place!). Where would you rank this air management compared to a 2 inch cowl hood?
worse
same
little better
lot better?

In my particular case, if I buy this hood, the extra air will be routed right to my JLT CAI filter housing. I say housing because it's not a sealed box like the hood is designed for. I'm really not looking for horsepower gain or the general benefit of more air from this hood, just the push up bra effect. However, it's always nice to see something as advertised.

Thanks!

Confirmed reply from ABC is that the hood is indeed still available.

Reactions: cbxer55
1 - 20 of 45 Posts