Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had it happen to me on my 02 Ford Harley Davidson. Tried insert, it blew as well, so I replaced the head, sold it and bought and 04 L. No more spark plug problem for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
35K miles and no plug problems. However, I found four loose ones during my last plug change. [smilie=eek4.gif]

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
I've never had a problem, BUT I'm having inserts put in mine right now while Sals doing my Motor, I am not taking a chance. Sal happens to use these EXACT inserts in his PSP Beast, and since he's building my Motor, I asked him to please have the identical inserts installed in mine. I asked over and over about the inserts pulling out, and I was assured over and over there are diff inserts and unfortunately some use the wrong type for our heads. I was also told these inserts will not come out under any circumstance. Got Dam I hope they're right, but if it's good enough for the Beast that held Worlds Fastest Lightning for all that time, it's surely good enough for little old me :D

There are Spit Plug Post around some of the Forums that have been around a while Silverstanger,
they just haven't made there way here yet, but I bet we'll be looking back at your post yrs from now, and they'll be many sad stories on it, SEE WHAT YOU STARTED :D hehehehehehe

Just did a search HERE lots of results

·
Registered
264 Posts
82K miles and no bad luck yet I am getting ready to change the plugs again so i hope I dont find any loose ones.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had one go, I now have inserts

What Rob does is pay Sal to build his motor, thats the only way he can get his plugs changed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I blew one a few weeks ago. 30,000 miles on the truck. Started hearing what I thought was an exhaust leak and then a week later the second plug back on the passenger side blew out. It was with such force that it tore off the coil pack and made a small dent on the inside of my hood. Ford wanted 3,500 so I took it to a local shop for an insert. $800 bucks. :sad:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Had a 99 with 39k miles. Checked them ounce and all were tight. Had 21k on the truck when I bought it though.

Got so nervous about it I didn't want to go on long road trips so traded for the 04

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow looks like 3 people had it happen already out of 9 replies..

Ford sucks and I will NOT buy an 99-02 because of this.

Who knows if the 03+ are really fixed. Alot of them haven't even been around a long time to really pass judgement.

I can't believe that people sit idle and not make a big fuss over this.

The problem to me isn't the Fix because that doesn't seem That bad.. its the fact that you could be hundreds of miles from home, etc., and boom.. then your stranded unless you wanna chance more damage to your engine.

I don't wanna get a lightning and have to keep it near my home in fear. That is like keeping a race horse contained in the stables all the time.

Thanks for all the replies, keep em coming. I want to see just how many people on here this really happened to.

This sucks for me because I really had my heart on some 01' and 02' model Ls and now I gotta wait until the 03's get old enough to get one that is in my price range. :sad: :-? [smilie=eek4.gif] [smilie=eek4.gif]

·
Registered
270 Posts
(knocking on wood) i have an 01 and it has not yet happened to me so dont not get the truck you really want just b/c a minor problem. seems funny to me but if ur set on the 01 or 02 go for it. IF it does happen to you then u get it fixed just like any other car that if u buy it u might run into a problem. just my 2 sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had one blow out a t about 55k.i had no warranty.took it to a dealer,complained to ford.i paid $500 for a new head(installed) and a 1 year powertrain warranty.this was not the first time a ford truck in my family has had this happen.so i already knew what steps to take and could prove to them this was not a isolated incident!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had one blow last year. I took it to a ford dealer had an insert put in (I was on the road and no tools for this) and replace the coil pack that the tab was broken. $250.00 I have found several loose plugs since then, I just change the plugs every so often just to check. No big deal but I do believe Ford should put inseets into all the heads that have this problem. I now carry a set of inserts with the tools to fix it myself and a couple coil packs for good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
iam getting x-mas special sometime this weak.when i install the plugs iam going to use a inch lb torque wrench.from what i have read the torque on the plugs is from 11 to 14 ft lb.has anyone heard different on these specs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts