Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone! Has anyone ever experienced a problem with a direct bolt on whipple supercharger for a 2000 Lightning? The issue I'm having is that the mounting holes on my inter-cooler do not align with the new whipple mid-plate and I have the 99-00 intake. Just received the supercharger yesterday and as luck would have it, Whipple is closed on weekends. Thanks in advance.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,148 Posts
The 99/00 bolt pattern for the supercharger is different than the 01-04. I don't know if that affects the intercooler holes though. My guess, it does.

·
10,148 Posts
You have to get an 01-04 mid plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. Don't believe any aftermarket blowers are purposely made for the 99/00.

·
10,148 Posts
While the price may be high, here is one. JC Customs billet midplate.

·
AntiSocial
17 X3 35i, 18 Equinox LT 2.0T
806 Posts
You have to get an 01-04 mid plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a mid plate won't work, unless its that pricey billet one. The whole manifold, intercooler and midplate has to be changed over. I thought that was only an issue for the 2.9 though. They do make a 2.3 kit for the 99/00.

·
10,148 Posts
Just a mid plate won't work, unless its that pricey billet one. The whole manifold, intercooler and midplate has to be changed over. I thought that was only an issue for the 2.9 though. They do make a 2.3 kit for the 99/00.
By the time you're done changing all that, may as well go for the pricey billet one. LMAO!!

I was wondering about that though. Because the bolts go all the way through the midplate into the manifold, correct? But on the billet one, they don't? I know it's 3/8 thicker than the stock one.

Oh, I see. The built in 3/8 spacer eliminates one gasket. Looking at the pics, I don't see how the pricey billet one differs much from the stock one as far as how it bolts on. Looks like the bolts go all the way through into the manifold, just like stock. Maybe I should not have posted it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good afternoon everyone! Has anyone ever experienced a problem with a direct bolt on whipple supercharger for a 2000 Lightning? The issue I'm having is that the mounting holes on my inter-cooler do not align with the new whipple mid-plate and I have the 99-00 intake. Just received the supercharger yesterday and as luck would have it, Whipple is closed on weekends. Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the replies...The supercharger kit I bought from whipple is specifically for the 99/00 lightning..The kit is complete with everything including the mid-plate. Everything fits, but my intercooler will not mount up to the whipple mid-plate, however, the mld-plate fits my intake perfectly.

·
AntiSocial
17 X3 35i, 18 Equinox LT 2.0T
806 Posts
Is it a 99/00 intercooler, or has it been replaced by the 01-04? There was a recall that changed the intercooler over and replaced the original midplate with a Muttplate, that was basically a 99/00 midplate drilled for the 01-04 intercooler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it a 99/00 intercooler, or has it been replaced by the 01-04? There was a recall that changed the intercooler over and replaced the original midplate with a Muttplate, that was basically a 99/00 midplate drilled for the 01-04 intercooler.
Yes, I still have the 99/00 intercooler. However, when I purchased the whipple supercharger kit for 99/00, the whipple mid-plate that came with the supercharger fits perfectly with my intake. The problem is that my intercooler is too small for the whipple mid-plate, but everything else will bolt up perfectly. A larger intercooler would do the trick, if I could find one that would fit the whipple mid-plate.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,023 Posts
Sound like you have the original intercooler, is it a 9 row?
Ford had a recall on them and replaced them with a mutt plate and a 10 row intercooler. which is the same intercooler they used in the later trucks.
This option is no longer, you will need to find a used 10 row or an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I’ve got an inter cooler that came out of my 99 with a 2.3 Whipple. I upgraded to the Trick IC and JC mid plate,so I know it will fit your application. Hit me up if interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I still have the 99/00 intercooler. However, when I purchased the whipple supercharger kit for 99/00, the whipple mid-plate that came with the supercharger fits perfectly with my intake. The problem is that my intercooler is too small for the whipple mid-plate, but everything else will bolt up perfectly. A larger intercooler would do the trick, if I could find one that would fit the whipple mid-plate.
I have an 03 intercooler sitting on the shelf if you need one
What are the length and width measurements at the flanges and can you please post a picture. The one I have measures 5 and 7/8 inches wide X 13 and 3/4 inches long and is not wide enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sound like you have the original intercooler, is it a 9 row?
Ford had a recall on them and replaced them with a mutt plate and a 10 row intercooler. which is the same intercooler they used in the later trucks.
This option is no longer, you will need to find a used 10 row or an aftermarket one.
Yes, it is the 9 row version. Do you know if the 10 row version would align with the wider mounting holes on the Whipple mid-plate?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts