Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a buddy of mine are trying to tackle some of the tuning hurdles with the addition of the new 3.4 Whipple on my fully built '01 Lightning.

I am hoping some of you guys can shed some light on the situation.

First off, although most tuning platforms are similar, we are using the Sniper programming software.

So, we plan to slowly work our way up to 22-24 psi but so far, just dialing in the initial tune, at 16 psi we are already seeing a 200% load. Does the pcm quit calculating at that point and just stay on that load cell?

Or should we scale down the Standard Air Charge by .25 until we are within range?

Are any of you changing the Torque Limiting Function?

Any other areas we should look at or possibly change?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
What kind of fuel system is in place?

When it runs out of fuel it happens fast.

It has done this on both truck I have had a part in.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We aren't having any fuel issues. BTW, I have a completely overhauled fuel system with fuel cell, 10AN and 8AN lines, everything. The fuel system hasn't skipped a beat.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
We aren't having any fuel issues. BTW, I have a completely overhauled fuel system with fuel cell, 10AN and 8AN lines, everything. The fuel system hasn't skipped a beat.
Yea thats more than enough.

60s don't seem to be enough and stock lines ran out as well.

Your golden :bigtu:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am running the 60's right now and will until an upgrade is necessary.

Just playing around on they dyno and massive wheel slip, we finished off the day with 596rwhp and 707rwtq on a 2# lower with a 4" upper. That was with a 11.3 AFR and 14 degrees.

We plan to swap out the lower with a 6# 'er. We need to figure out some stuff though such as posted in the OP.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The 60s ran out at 675 rwhp
The rest was built

on another truck the 75s and rails were intsalled but the stock lines tot he tank were not enough. The 3.4 loves fuel when spun hard.

I am almost done with my upgrades and can't wait to test it again.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What pulley combo?

Eventually I will get injectors but we shall see. Still waiting to see which ones are gonna work and which ones will be a flop.

I have a second standalone fuel system for Nitrous so I can always add more fuel that way as well (as a last resort). I plan to give it a 50 shot to start with. I can always use a bigger fuel jet too.

·
Humble, TX
518 Posts
The 60s ran out at 675 rwhp
The rest was built

on another truck the 75s and rails were intsalled but the stock lines tot he tank were not enough. The 3.4 loves fuel when spun hard.

I am almost done with my upgrades and can't wait to test it again.

Yep, 675 is about played out on most fuel systems, mine included. JJ needs to get the complete fuel kit out.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
What pulley combo?

Eventually I will get injectors but we shall see. Still waiting to see which ones are gonna work and which ones will be a flop.

I have a second standalone fuel system for Nitrous so I can always add more fuel that way as well (as a last resort). I plan to give it a 50 shot to start with. I can always use a bigger fuel jet too.
10# lower and either a 3.5 or 3.75

It was some time ago

My truck ran out of fuel line with a 10# lower and 4 upper only on a full pass. Not on bursts ??

·
Registered
454 Posts
JJ,

It was at 37% iirc.
If your injector slopes are correct, your maf transfer function is correct, and your engine displacement is correct, your load will be correct.

Once your load is correct, you should be able to use the entire table from .1 to 1.99 and all the other ECM functions see the correct load.

At least that's how I've been dealing with it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So, we plan to slowly work our way up to 22-24 psi but so far, just dialing in the initial tune, at 16 psi we are already seeing a 200% load. Does the pcm quit calculating at that point and just stay on that load cell?
Thanks!

It reaches the top load scale and computes loads at that line and above at 200%.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been on the dyno all night. After some other issues we battled, we keep getting a high RPM miss. Keep switching out plugs but still have the same problem. The gap is at .028. I am thinking about closing the gap some more, to maybe .026 - .024. Fuel pressure is good. Boost is holding at 23psi. WeaponX COP's are solid. No leaks. No voltage issues. No codes. Any ideas?

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
Let us know if closing the gaps more helps or not. What plugs are you using? What all plugs have you tried?

Can't wait till you get this thing dialed in....It's going to be one bad fugger.

Roach

1 - 20 of 97 Posts