Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up fellas.
Currently on my Lightning I'm running a 1st gen 2.3 whipple. No problems with it. I am curious if I can upgrade the internals to a Gen 2. I hear they produce less heat and they have some better stuff. My question is, has anyone done it? Can it be done? Is it worth it?

·
Whipple Powered
3,850 Posts
Contact Jon Bond Performance about his Whipple rebuilds. He can re-build it for you with all the best parts. I'm not sure if the gen 1/gen 2 Whipple had different rotors or not though, but he can definitely improve upon what you have otherwise.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
The G-2 version is rated to flow about 150 cfm more than the G-1 - when Whipple repaired mine, it was upgraded to a G-2 and I was able to switch to a larger upper pulley and keep the same boost level with a drop in temps. Keep in mind though, I was already overspinning the heck out of G-1 and when I used the same upper pulley on the G-2, it generated a bit more boost, but was way past the efficiency range and turned into a 'heat monster' and that's why I dropped to the larger pulley and now my temps are much lower.

If you're not max'ing out the Whipple currently, you probably won't see enough improvement for the $$$ outlay. I only upgraded because the rear bearings spun in their bores on the G-1 and trashed out the G-1 case (common problem from what they told me) and I had to upgrade to the G-2 version.

Bird

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Contact Jon Bond Performance about his Whipple rebuilds. He can re-build it for you with all the best parts. I'm not sure if the gen 1/gen 2 Whipple had different rotors or not though, but he can definitely improve upon what you have otherwise.
Will keep in mind. Thanks for your response

The G-2 version is rated to flow about 150 cfm more than the G-1 - when Whipple repaired mine, it was upgraded to a G-2 and I was able to switch to a larger upper pulley and keep the same boost level with a drop in temps. Keep in mind though, I was already overspinning the heck out of G-1 and when I used the same upper pulley on the G-2, it generated a bit more boost, but was way past the efficiency range and turned into a 'heat monster' and that's why I dropped to the larger pulley and now my temps are much lower.

If you're not max'ing out the Whipple currently, you probably won't see enough improvement for the $$$ outlay. I only upgraded because the rear bearings spun in their bores on the G-1 and trashed out the G-1 case (common problem from what they told me) and I had to upgrade to the G-2 version.

Bird
My block is stock for now so I guess I can leave it alone. Just some info I wanted to know and keep in mind if I ever go built and turn up the boost. Thank you for the info. Good to know

1 - 4 of 4 Posts