Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Years ago I read an article that compared various wide bands from different companies. The article concluded that Innovative was the most accurate of all of the ones that they tested. Well I came across a deal on a used Innovate but we can't get the damn thing to work right. The mechanic has been in touch with Innovative and has been trying to trouble shoot this thing and isn't having any luck even with tech support on the phone running him through the paces.

We have pretty much given up on it for now and have decided to go with a new one. I know that this market has changed pretty rapidly in the past number of years and a lot has changed. Here's where you guys come into play.

Which specific wide band is regarded as "The one to go with and where can I get the best deal on one?...(link to website???)" My display guage is a digital readout mounted on the pillar if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the input.

Roach

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
i dunno, but i would guess innovate.

I would actually like to get rid of my lc-1/xd-16 (has about 250 miles on it) and get 2 of the new mtx-l units.

I wired mine up to act as both a wideband, and replace the factory upstream o2. That's why I want to do a dual wideband setup. Just for the hell of it.

·
never enough
809 Posts
i got the mtx-L from silicone stop on here for 170

·
never enough
809 Posts
yes

·
never enough
809 Posts
yup, that is the one i got

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big write up on modularfords with comparisons, do a search.
Is that ModularFords.com, modular Ford Magazine which I'm not aware of? I searched ModularFords.com but nothing came up. If it's the article that is now a couple of years old then that's of no use. If there is a newer article with comparisons then I'd like to see it. If anybody knows please post a link.

Found this but seems like it's nearly 5 years old ...or more. A lot can change in 5 years.

Roach

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,714 Posts
I have an Innovate, and I always thought it was best based on user feedback on the forums. One thing to keep in mind is the mounting location of the bung. That can cause the reading to be inaccurate.

Roach, make sure you have the sensor connector plugged firmly in. I was having trouble when I hooked mine up and found out I had not pushed the connector plug all the way in.

I followed the write-up that was posted above and found it very helpful.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,683 Posts
I'd be willing to bet about the only thing thats changed with widebands in the 5 years is some cheaper quality ones have hit the market selling for those bargain basement prices.

Innovate is still a top notch wideband, and the prices are very fair for the quality you're getting. Ran one in both my HD's. Install is a piece of cake, you just need to have 2 separate grounds for the unit, don't ground them at the same point and shouldn't have any issues.

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an Innovate but getting it setup was a huge pain because the are very particular when it come to grounding.

This how-to may help you.
http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5008
Thanks for the "how to" on this. This might just be the fix that we need. It's good to know that the ground wires require a unique wiring. I imagine that causes a lot of issues for a lot of people.

My unit would display a reading but the damn thing was sooo irratic. It would jump all over the range and made no sense what so ever.

Is that likely due to noise interference???? I'm thinking it might be...Anybody???

Roach

·
Retired Odderator
3,305 Posts
Been using an innovate for years, zero problems, and known to be very accurate, I would not reccomend anything else.

Years of open track without blowing her up is enough proof for me.

·
Slower than Jim
1,096 Posts
My dynojet seems to be pretty spot on...

·
Poor driver mod
1,414 Posts
i am a big innovative whore! I love there stuff. can be a pain in the ass to get setup right, very picky about groundings, but once wired in right, and the instructions could be better, but once installed right, they are very accurate and work great, plus they can plug in to other innovative stuff like the ODB-2 wifi thing and log via my iphone, love doing that.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
I've got an AEM and recently dyno'd the truck and it was very consistent with the dyno's readings. I think the most important thing about widebands is the mounting of the bung... and the best way to do it is to chalk mark the pipe on the truck, then remove the pipe and weld the bung where it belongs (read the instructions). That's what we did... and Josh [JTBtheWelder] did a beautiful welding job for me at Total Inductions Mod Party (nice to have a professional welder do it!).

Mike

·
AKA Mr. Breeze
4,291 Posts
Is that ModularFords.com, modular Ford Magazine which I'm not aware of? I searched ModularFords.com but nothing came up. If it's the article that is now a couple of years old then that's of no use. If there is a newer article with comparisons then I'd like to see it. If anybody knows please post a link.

Found this but seems like it's nearly 5 years old ...or more. A lot can change in 5 years.

Roach
I think it was from 08 but, had recent post to the thread.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have had about 5 the FJO. Its hard to watch the little ones on a hard run.

best without spending a ton is the FAST dual bank.

A single bank unit will never give you the data a dual bank will. One side of the motor can be doing something completely diff from the other. This helps a ton with trouble shooting too.
Only thing I did not like is the size and mounting issues.

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i dunno, but i would guess innovate.

I would actually like to get rid of my lc-1/xd-16 (has about 250 miles on it) and get 2 of the new mtx-l units.

I wired mine up to act as both a wideband, and replace the factory upstream o2. That's why I want to do a dual wideband setup. Just for the hell of it.
What advantage would the MTX-L offer you that the lc-1 doesn't?

I ended up purchasing the MTX-L from the local Jegs for 176 which I thought was pretty good considering it's just down the road to me.

Roach

1 - 20 of 27 Posts