Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Hard Work, Clean Livin...
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the lightning scene, got 2 trucks that I have narrowed it down to. Give yalls input on what's the better deal and what I might need to know other then cruise and intercooler recall... Let me know!!

2001 Ford lightning 44,000 miles $12,000

red with red bed cover, almost new tires. the motor was rebuilt and has two thousand miles on it the bottom end is all forged has $5000.00 in receipts. Forged Scat I beam connecting rods forged crankshaft. Forged pistons total seal rings upgraded wrist pins blueprinted heads are rebuilt with new seals arp studs on main caps and heads arp main caps, has all of the reciepts. Also a larger pulley. Other then that the truck is stock... (No tuner)

OR...

1999 Black SVT Lightning $9,500

Truck has just under 66k original miles (original motor)
Supercharged V8 - 433 rwhp / 521 rwtq (93 octane, 85* weather)
Plenty of upgrades/bolt-ons. .

VIDEO -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mazF3qLYN2Y

PICTURES -- http://goo.gl/RAYS

** Performance modifications **
Walbro 255LPH Dual Fuel Pumps
6# Lower Pulley (estimate: 8 + 6 = 14lbs psi total boost)
PSP driveshaft loop
Polished Accufab oval single blade throttle body
LFP Stage 1 valve body ("shift kit")
Ford deep sump transmission pan
Lakewood 21715 slapper / traction bars (black)
Bassani (2) Cats, X-Pipe, Catback, polished tips (true dual exhaust)
MSD Ignition High Output Blaster COPS
NKG TR-6 spark plugs
JLP Air Induction Kit (w/reusable cone filter)
90mm MAF (same as 01-04)
LFP Ported Blower
Extrude Hone Ported Intake Plenum
FRPP Lowering Kit (1.5” front / 2” rear)
SCT 4-way chip
Dyno tuned by PSI Motorsports (on 93 octane)
170* T-Stat
LFP E-Fan (w/manual switch)
Ford Cobra Water Pump
Nitto Tires x 4 (low on thread)
Strange Engineering (Adjustable) Rear Shocks (Note: don't remember what shocks I am running up front, Beilstein I think)
Remove front sway bar for weight removal purposes... not included in sale.

** Cosmetic mods **
01-04 “L” style front grill
01-04 “L” style headlights with Sylvania Silverstars bulbs
Clear corners with Sylvania Silverstars bulbs
Ultra Clear 87-93 Mustang GT fog lights
Tint on Rear Window
01-02 Upgraded Wheels (bent lip on 2 wheels)

** Other mods **
Autometer triple port pillar pod
Autometer Phantom Series White Gauges --- A/F (WOT only) + Boost + Oil Pressure (not connected at the moment)
Oil separator
Equalizer in custom enclosure
2 8” subs in custom enclosure
2 Amps (MTX) + Crossover
Clifford Alarm System with remote start
Stock 01-04 Lightning 6-CD stereo head unit - has been modified to play MP3 CDs and is satellite radio ready.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
definately the 01 due to the fact the motor has no mods on it so you know it hasn't been beat on as much as the 99 has been, the factory recalls and updates that ford changed in the 01 year, and you start fresh with a newly rebuilt motor that you get the joys to mod yourself

·
aka Nivardo
3,089 Posts
I'd say it depends on what your goals are for the truck... both look like a pretty good deal really... I personally went with a stock one so i can mod myself .... Which now i kinda question sometimes now.... then again once she is done I know ill be pretty proud of myself for doing it on my own,
another thing, if you plan on modding it, your gonna spend more than the 2500 dollar difference just to get the "stock" one to the same level.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd say it depends on what your goals are for the truck... both look like a pretty good deal really... I personally went with a stock one so i can mod myself .... Which now i kinda question sometimes now.... then again once she is done I know ill be pretty proud of myself for doing it on my own,
another thing, if you plan on modding it, your gonna spend more than the 2500 dollar difference just to get the "stock" one to the same level.
Yea very true

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't really want a drag truck that's in & out of the shop all the time... I want something to drive on the weekends and if a 03 cobra or vette pulls up I want to win!

·
Premium Member
24,783 Posts
definately the 01 due to the fact the motor has no mods on it so you know it hasn't been beat on as much as the 99 has been, the factory recalls and updates that ford changed in the 01 year, and you start fresh with a newly rebuilt motor that you get the joys to mod yourself
It has a bigger pully and no tune, I'm guessing that's why the motor was rebuilt. I'd say it's had a harder life. Wonder if it's still running a bigger pully without the tune?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
aka Nivardo
3,089 Posts
If you want to pull a vette or cobra then DEFINITELY go for the one with the built block!! thats actually the same goal i set for myself! lol.
On the track you will probably have a good chance at beating one with a basic bolt ons and good weight reduction and of course a good tune. on the street?.... NO WAY dont ask how i know!:bolt

EDIT: and this is a semi-stock vette or cobra we're talking about right? if you talking about a z06 or pullied/tuned cobra... you've got a long ways to go bud...

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would I have anything to worry about going with either one? Any worries with the 99 being on the stock motor?

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Or would I be better off just buying one that's already built??? (kinda takes the fun outta the whole thing)

·
Eat.Sleep.Lightning.
838 Posts
thats cheap for a modded 99 with low miles...honestly it sounds a little shady.. he could easily get more than that.....just sayin i would look into it more.

·
Eat.Sleep.Lightning.
838 Posts
and the video link for that guys truck, if you look in his upload folder on youtube, theres no video of any truck actually uploaded, that means he used a hack called "phishing" to make it look like it is one of his uploads, when it isnt....

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
id say go with the 01 but no WOT with it until its tuned. the built bottom end is alot better in the long run. ask many guys on here who are part of the motor sploder club and they will tell you. many wish they would have went built first. thats why my truck has no performance mods yet. im just savin for a built block.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
15 Participants
stickbo
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing