Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
00' L, basic bolt-ons (pulleys, 13lbs.) C&L Plenum, Accufab SBTB, Bassani Cat-back, CAI. I'm looking to get this truck dynotuned in the next couple of weeks so I'm wanting to go ahead and put a new set of ignition coils in while I'm at it.....

So with those basic bolt-ons listed, and you were going to replace the coils on this application, would you go with the Motorcraft (which I've heard are adequate) or would you opt for the MSD's?

Would I really benefit from one or the other?

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,677 Posts
OEM, way too many fast trucks running 'em not to keep them in place

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming I was to keep OEM plugs, should I at least replace the boots on the plugs? How would I know if one of the coils is bad?

I'm just trying to do this now to prevent any future headaches lol...

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,677 Posts
Assuming I was to keep OEM plugs, should I at least replace the boots on the plugs? How would I know if one of the coils is bad?

I'm just trying to do this now to prevent any future headaches lol...

If you change the plugs for other OEM ones then ensure you are running stock boost levels

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
OEM ftw

·
Whining azz 'Eaton
608 Posts
OEM :rockon_ford

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I'm on BWD, and they have done ok for the yr they've been in, but i'll go OEM when I need more.

plugs---NGK TR6

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
ls2 coils FTW lol

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I would say to do a shearch but 3 letter words don't work lol. I bought a set of msd coils last year from summit, and I checked them all with a meter as soon as I got them. One was bad right out of the box. They are made in china and msd has no quality control of those coils.
I got a new replacement coil and the truck never liked them. I pulled the out and went with a new set of oem's just to be sure.

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
I would say to do a shearch but 3 letter words don't work lol. I bought a set of msd coils last year from summit, and I checked them all with a meter as soon as I got them. One was bad right out of the box. They are made in china and msd has no quality control of those coils.
I got a new replacement coil and the truck never liked them. I pulled the out and went with a new set of oem's just to be sure.
3 letter words do work....just need to put an asterisk after them

IE MSD*

·
GoD GiVeN
1,951 Posts
3 letter words do work....just need to put an asterisk after them

IE MSD*
Learn something every day, lol! thanks stew...

And if your OEMs arent broke dont replace them!!! but for what its worth, I have been running MSD for the past 5+ yrs, no problems, but like said above, some have had problems with them

-Adam

1 - 19 of 19 Posts