Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo big John, you still alive. Have not heard from you in a while. Are you on some kind of top secret mission. Quiet could also mean trouble for us members. What you got up your sleeve for the fall fella ?:smt102

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Yo big John, you still alive. Have not heard from you in a while. Are you on some kind of top secret mission. Quiet could also mean trouble for us members. What you got up your sleeve for the fall fella ?:smt102
He's around, he posted today. He has something up his sleeve for sure:scared003

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,701 Posts
I got a part in my garage for sneaky ol' superbeast :D

·
Administrator
18,754 Posts
I know John was working on building his knowledge this year. I know he has some big plans. That truck and that man are going to be interesting to watch. He is thinking outside the box, and is quite sharp!

Jim

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And a nice guy too boot. I love this time of year, not too many guys do a lot of racing in the summer heat but now the nights are getting cooler and it's almost show time.

I'm done working in this friggin heat, can't wait till fall !!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I’m still alive and kicking! I've been on vacation at Nags Head NC this week, soaking up some sunshine and trying to figure out which kind of vodka I like best! I've been to the track a few times this summer, tweaking one thing at a time, datalogging and videotaping, getting ready for the stiff competition at SpookFest! I haven’t made any major changes to the truck but I hope to be able to set a personal best there. Little things add up to big improvements sometimes. I think I finally figured out how to make the truck hook by watching one of Brad’s videos from the Spring rental:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sKoHNlQi_A&feature=youtu.be

I’ve had ongoing problems with the truck yanking the front wheels and then breaking traction and falling on its face. I bet the vets on here will take one look at the video and figure out what was wrong, but I had to watch it about 50 times before I figured it out.
Everyone is going to be way faster at SpookFest! Dude Lightning is likely to be the dark horse this year as far as "most improved", but there are going to be several trucks clustered in the low 10’s/high 9’s, and for anyone who hasn’t been to a DelValLO private track rental, this is going to be a great one to check out! Only 10 more weeks!!

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Hey Big John hope all is well and having fun on vacation. From the looks of the video looks like the rear shocks are set to firm or maybe wrong. Front comes up nice and falls down quick which makes you come out of the groove and your left rear tire is spinning which completely take out of the groove. What are your thoughts?

·
Administrator
18,754 Posts
Did you determine that the bump stops were hitting the axle tube? Cut em off or raise the rear a bit! Sudden stops cause unloading the rears just like we see in the vid. When power gets big, suspension action must be slowed.

As far as Vodka? I am partial to Stoli. But a local importer carries the Ciroc brand. A bit different, but I like it for a change of pace. Employees share their company perks quite often!

Jim

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
I think his rear bumps stops are removed if I recall

·
Registered
461 Posts
Did you determine that the bump stops were hitting the axle tube? Cut em off or raise the rear a bit! Sudded stops cause unloading the rears just like we see in the vid. When power gets big, suspension action must be slowed.

Jim
I think his rear bumps stops are removed if I recall
I sawed off the bump-stops when you (Jim) suggested it last year. They were definitely hitting when you noticed it but I’m pretty sure they didn’t hit the differential housing in the pass Brad videoed. I’m thinking the rear shocks were set too loose. If you watch the gap between the top of the slicks and the rear fenderwell, it looks like the back of the truck drops down and then rebounds, unloading the slicks. You can also hear the tires squeal when the truck bed rebounds to the top. It looks like to me that the gap actually opens up wider on the rebound than it was when I was sitting there waiting for the green light. (It's hard to see but if you double-click on a youtube video you can view it in full-screen). I had the QA-1’s set on 8-9 (left-right) in the video, and I’m going to try setting them on 10-10 or 10-11 next weekend if the weather cooperates at MIR. A big thanks to Brad for videotaping and posting the videos… the DelValLO/LightningRodder brotherhood makes this sport a lot more fun and makes it easier for all of us to go faster.

·
Administrator
18,754 Posts
That is what I meant by "slowing down" the suspension action. I fought this ever since I started spraying. Even with the little MP blower. Fine tuning the shocks, both front and rear, is the answer if there is no contact. Drag springs are a necessary evil. But they can have too much action.

Jim

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
It was my pleasure that day John, maybe I'll be racing at Spookfest this fall but just 1/8 mile. My slicks wil be here tommorow and Ill have them mounted and installed on the rear to see of theres any rubbing. Im not gonna have a cage by then due to I may have to have surgery on my hand so no OT.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It was my pleasure that day John, maybe I'll be racing at Spookfest this fall but just 1/8 mile. My slicks wil be here tommorow and Ill have them mounted and installed on the rear to see of theres any rubbing. Im not gonna have a cage by then due to I may have to have surgery on my hand so no OT.
Thanks Brad! You're always one of the first to pitch-in even if you're not racing, and we all appreciate that. If I can ever help you out in any way please let me know!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
John, we had pretty much the same setup last year at Atco and I had my rears set at 10. The track was hooking real good that day. I had a 1.47 60ft on my 10.46 pass. You have way more HP than last year so things will be different but as everyone knows track conditions vary drastically. You basically need 3 suspension scenarios. 1 the track sucks, 2 it's not bad, 3 it's really hooking. Like Jim said it becomes much more sensitive with high HP.

I agree it seems like the rear is unloading when the front comes down. You don't necessarilly have to hit the bump stops for the rear to unload. Too loose front and rear shocks on a good hooking track is going to rock the truck back and forth. Sometimes you have to go a bit stiffer on rear and leave a little softer so the tires dont't break. Tons of great info from evereyone but trial and error with seat time will be the only way to tell. I have been trying to launch these dopey trucks for 10 years and it's not easy !!! Good luck, can't wait to hook up with everyone and BS and bust balls in person.

I am hoping for some improved times but based on what I am seeing, it looks like there is going to be several trucks in the low 10's high 9's this year. All with various engine, suspension and weight adjustments. Can't wait !!!

·
Registered
8,480 Posts
Where are you guys getting your "starting point settings" for your rear shocks? Its no wonder your having a hard time hooking with those settings that high. Always start off low and if the track hooks tighten up the shocks little by little. You would laugh at what I have all our trucks set at but then again you wouldnt be laughing if you were in the other lane not hooking. ;)

JJ

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Thanks Brad! You're always one of the first to pitch-in even if you're not racing, and we all appreciate that. If I can ever help you out in any way please let me know!
Thanks Big Guy:cheers

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Yea Brads okay John ....... even though he runs a whipple :shocked003 :potstirring :shitstormretarded [smilie=om[/QUOTE]

WaaaHOooooo:idhitit

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Where are you guys getting your "starting point settings" for your rear shocks? Its no wonder your having a hard time hooking with those settings that high. Always start off low and if the track hooks tighten up the shocks little by little. You would laugh at what I have all our trucks set at but then again you wouldnt be laughing if you were in the other lane not hooking. ;)

JJ
We went soft in the back for the first 3 runs at MIR with my truck and the last run we tighten them up some which felt great because the track was hooking like crazy. I did bounce off the bumpr stop though, I put a small amount of grease on them befroe I made the ride to MD.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.