Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Custom User Title
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems to me that about 70% of the people rocking Gen 1's either stick with stock or go straight to Gen2 wheels. I want to do neither.

This truck is going to be my daily driver, even in the winter. I know the truck is going to suck in the snow but I am going to try and make the best of it. So I am starting to look around at wheels and tires to suit my needs a bit more.

The previous owner put on a set of Nitto NT-450's in the flavor of 275/50R17. So these bad larrys are running around 28" tall when stock should be 30". Obviously my speedo is incorrect, and she is turning a higher RPM than needed on the highway. With 4.10's out back I feel there is no need for an even shorter tire than what comes stock.

I am considering changing, however with our bolt pattern and backspacing size and the fact I despise wheel spacers, my selections are somewhat limited.

I am considering these tires. Size would be 255/70R16 which would be 30.1" tall and work fine on an 8" wheel.

They are Firestone WinterForce tires rated for SUV's so the load ratings are acceptable and they have great reviews for snow. Another option was the General Grabber AT2's however they are a bunch more money and will look like I am trying to make an offroad truck out of a street truck. Same with the BFG AT's except those are way more than the Generals and do not do any better in the snow. I have personally used BFG AT's and General AT2's in the snow and I know they are amazing, but I think a dedicated winter tire may even do better.

AS far as wheels are concerned... I am kind of at a loss here. There are a few that I like. I was hoping to get some opinions on the whole situation and what you think would look best/work best.

American Racing AR-23 16x8"

American Racing Outlaw 2's 16x8"

American Racing Baja's 16x8"

Going on this truck:

Any input would be appreciated!

·
Cogswell Cogs
3,392 Posts
Mine is a Harley but, those tires are great in the snow!! I run 4 studded snows mounted on 18" steel wheels (stock is 20") and a Shur Trax water bladder in the bed and the truck goes trough snow with no problem.
I like the idea of a steel wheel simply because if the truck does slide and hit a curb for example it's no big dollar loss.

We do get some snow too.... LOL

·
Administrator
18,594 Posts
I used a Gen1 for business for many years in all conditions. Ran 15" wagon wheels and Bridgestone Winter Duallers(Blizzac) on all four corners. Went thru anything with no issue. The best snow tire I ever used that was not studded.

Jim

·
Custom User Title
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to hear that the tires I was looking at are good!

I do like steelies, and was considering the Cragar Soft 8's but I don't know if black would be like "too much" black on black with my truck in-particular.

·
Cogswell Cogs
3,392 Posts
Glad to hear that the tires I was looking at are good!

I do like steelies, and was considering the Cragar Soft 8's but I don't know if black would be like "too much" black on black with my truck in-particular.
Eh, they're only for winter use and during that time its no beauty contest.

Whatever wheels you choose they are going to be encrusted with all the crap from the roads during that time.
When winter approaches I put my snows on as late as possible and take them off as early as possible when spring approaches.

·
Custom User Title
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So let's say I spend a little more, and use one of those three wheels I posted and some General Grabber AT2's. Would the truck look bad if I used those year round?

The thing is I don't like how short my current tires are. I am looking for a compromise that will be 30" tall, look good, and do well in the fluffy stuff.

·
Custom User Title
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Also.. Does the Gen1 Lightning use 60 Degree seat lug nuts on the stock wheels?

I am debating something completely different now. Thinking about Cragar Soft 8's in black. 17x8" with 4.5" BS. Rocking some General Grabber AT2's 255/65R17. Would be a great tire for year round use, and would rock in the snow. I also really like the chrome ones, so it is basically coming down to one of those two.

You think black on black would look bad? Or should I just go for the chrome ones?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've seen a black L with those American Racing Outlaws and I really thought it looked good. And I am a stock wheel guy. I also think the black wheels on a black truck does look wierd for some reason. Sometimes if they have a machined or polished lip around them they look good. I'm with these guys though, winter is no beauty contest and if you are on the east coast you know what the road crap does to vehicles around here. Especially nice wheels! Hate that crap!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.