Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel choice and tires are my next consideration for track performance. I expect to run mid 11 sec times and am debating 15" or 16" Bogart wheels.
Who is running 16" wheels with 30" slicks?
What are you running up front?

I am looking for max performance potential and am leaning towards the 15" setup with front runners and ET Street Radials, but really prefer to not grind the rotors if there is an adequate choice in 16".
Also I prefer to run a DOT style slick.
Let me know what you all run.
Thank you,
Jim

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I don't think the 30" slicks come in 16"?? If they do let me know cause I don't feel like cutting down my caliper's either.
Bryan

·
Administrator
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know M+H offer their DOT "Cheaterslick" in 30" tall. I also believe Hoosier offers a 16x30 full slick but not sure about that.
I want a dot style slick to run special events. The M+H work well for "Chillfactor" who has reported 1.5 60s. I just dont know what is available in 16" for a true front skinny.
Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Top Gun.....I am interested to know where to get front runners too. I don't want the 15" up front. I would prefer the 16" so I won't have to shave my calipers.

I run Hosier QTP's 28x10x16 in the rear

·
Registered
426 Posts
If your shooting for max ET's, you'll want to maximize the 60ft times.  That would be best served by the biggest tire you can put on the rear. (tallest sideall and widest section width)

Rich

·
Administrator
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Rich I am aware that the 15" setup has more potential, but the cost to shave the calipers front and rear is quite high from your "favorite" vendor.
It has been reported that 60ft times in the 1.5 range are possible with the 16x30M+H slicks. I do not know of any good 16" skinnys at this time.
Jim

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
I found a set of 28x10x16's for $450+shipiping over on NLOC is someone is looking for that size. I am looking to get truck dyno tuned then go for slicsk later.

Just thought I would pass it on

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ok...my wisdom was not appreciated on a different thread, so I will give this one a shot... :D.

Grinding down the rear calipers is not really as complicated as it may seem. You can do it with a power drill and grinding adapters that can be purchsed at Home Depot. They can be done while left on the truck.

The fronts are so easy it is a joke....not alot of metal has to come off them. Just grind awhile and then stick the wheel on to check for fit. Take wheel off and grind some more.

If you where talking about what JDM charges, they actually do some adjustments to the rear asembly some how that gives more room and requires less grinding. i know nothing of how or what they do...but it does take more work to do it their way.

You will be happier in the long run with 15's as the tire choices are unlimited.

Rocks [smilie=popcorn.gif]

·
Administrator
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rocks, I will probably go that way despite the grinding required. I have heard of no problems with the ground calipers.
Jim

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ct.TOPGUN said:
Thanks Rocks, I will probably go that way despite the grinding required. I have heard of no problems with the ground calipers.
   Jim

Since you are going that way, I'll share something that bit me in the butt. There are, "wings" if you will, from the brake pads, that hang up and over the edge of the calipers. It looks as though these lips/wings hold the pads on the calipers. Be sure to grind these down even with the calipers too. Especially when you change the pads, or they will stick up above the calipers and cut into your wheels.

Bogarts are usually not perfectly round. Even if they are when you start, they won't stay that way long. Be sure and mark the wheels passenger side and drivers side, so you always put them on the wheel that is ground for them.

I will have my wheels off in the next few days or so to put new tires on them. I will snap a pic of the two areas that will fool you when your done, but hit at the track.

Rocks [smilie=fingersx.gif]

·
Administrator
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, good to have info in advance. Those Bogart wheels are too expensive to damage.
Jim

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ct.TOPGUN said:
Thank you, good to have info in advance. Those Bogart wheels are too expensive to damage.
   Jim

I hear you on that. I didn't get a heads up and now I have score marks on the insides of all 4 of my Bogarts. The damage can't be seen when they are on the truck...but I know it's there, and it makes me nuts everytime I think about it. Give me a few days to get it done.

Rocks

·
Registered
426 Posts
For what it's worth... REM put a 4 link in Tims truck and they dropped to 1.45 60 fts.   It just makes me wonder about how much energy is going into flexing the chassie vs going fwd.

I also have "heard" that we have the F250 brakes?  I wonder if it could be as simple as getting a set of F150 rear disks?  Seems like that would be a cheap way to put 15" rims on?  But then again I really have no idea how that would effect the ABS.

Rich

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think the best all around solution would be a set of 16x11 Bogarts with the 30 inch tall M&H's

Then get a set of 16x7 or 16x8 front rims, lots of choices. Firrst find a set of fronts you like and then see what Bogarts look the closest.

I run some continental 235/60 hr 16's up front.

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
wydopnthrtl said:
I also have "heard" that we have the F250 brakes?  I wonder if it could be as simple as getting a set of F150 rear disks?  Seems like that would be a cheap way to put 15" rims on?  But then again I really have no idea how that would effect the ABS.
actually i think the front calipers are from the 250's and the rears from the expedition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts