Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on FB today and a guy asked what he should do for mods and everyone and there brother was trashing on the 2v lightning motors telling the to coyote swap and ls swap. A coyote swap to me is a huge investment because a motor and all that needs to go with it to make it work our trucks seems like a ton more money than going with a better supercharger and forged internals and a hood set of heads. Am I wrong

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
3,048 Posts
Mine makes 700 and I could drive it every day if I had to but 10 miles per gallon and it will blow the tires off if I punch it

Reactions: NMSVT

·
10 second street truck
12,416 Posts
The 2v is severely limited. It's heads are absolutely a choke point.
The block needs sleeved at big power

The money into a 2v to make 700 is close to the money for a coyote swap and blower.

I make 730 give or take. I am also on e85 and get 7mpg. I'd much rather have a coyote that isn't even sweating at 700 vs my ragged edge 2v.

·
Registered
2002 Harley Davidson F-150
145 Posts
Maybe I'm a purest, but my Harley Davidson was designed to run the 2v motor. I'll stick with it. If I wanted to break records and run a Coyote I would've bought a newer model with the coyote swap already done by Ford. Lol. Maybe I'm just not scared of the investment and hard work.. I dunno...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I’m at 840HP. No way I could make more without injectable’s. If you want more power outta of a 2V look at Marty as an example. Big bore. Big Whipple 3.8L. Big $$$$$.

I’m with kderekt83.

P.S. fuck them FB dudes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m at 840HP. No way I could make more without injectable’s. If you want more power outta of a 2V look at Marty as an example. Big bore. Big Whipple 3.8L. Big $$$$$.

I’m with kderekt83.

P.S. fuck them FB dudes.
I know hp is a huge thing that people push for but really torque is what gets you moving if there was a way to make 1000 torque from 500hp it would be great lol. I just read alot of people hate the early mod motors and they think they are weak engines . Because everyone wants to throw ls motors in our trucks and to me that is blasphemous.

·
Registered
2002 Harley Davidson F-150
145 Posts
Yep. The days of hardwork, pride and self satisfaction are all but gone. People just wanna do what's already been done a million times because it's easy, the kinks are worked out, and it's usually cheaper because other people have already done the figuring and fabricating already. You just gotta bolt it together. I agree. It's blasphemous

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 2v is severely limited. It's heads are absolutely a choke point.
The block needs sleeved at big power

The money into a 2v to make 700 is close to the money for a coyote swap and blower.

I make 730 give or take. I am also on e85 and get 7mpg. I'd much rather have a coyote that isn't even sweating at 700 vs my ragged edge 2v.
I have a lightning engine swapped into a 2003 reg cab stepside 4x4. I added a killer chiller gen IV drag kit it's stage 3 meth injected upgraded fuel rails and pressure regulater. 255 sniper fuel pump. Tuned to run 93 but need a good tuner to get it right . Thinking of going with jj a woodbine

·
10 second street truck
12,416 Posts
Stage this garbage that

Learn what the mods mean

Meth is uncommon on these .
The killer chiller is hit or miss and there are way better ways to spend your money

A single 255 is nowhere near enough pump. These trucks run dual 190's stock.

·
10 second street truck
12,416 Posts
Maybe I'm a purest, but my Harley Davidson was designed to run the 2v motor. I'll stick with it. If I wanted to break records and run a Coyote I would've bought a newer model with the coyote swap already done by Ford. Lol. Maybe I'm just not scared of the investment and hard work.. I dunno...
A coyote is an investment and hard work. But it's an invest that actually nets returns.

·
10 second street truck
12,416 Posts
I know hp is a huge thing that people push for but really torque is what gets you moving if there was a way to make 1000 torque from 500hp it would be great lol. I just read alot of people hate the early mod motors and they think they are weak engines . Because everyone wants to throw ls motors in our trucks and to me that is blasphemous.
There is a way. It's called a lack of rpm.

Torque is actual work being done. Horsepower is a calculated number based on torque and rpm. That's why torque and rpm always cross at 5250

The mod motor in stock form is weak and anemic

In built form it can live but the heads are still a massive limit.

Even the best 2v heads in the world can't touch a good 4v head.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My gen 2 probably makes over 1000 at the motor full tilt... Not too hard to do either. lotta boost and little spray haha. But I wouldn't swap it for a coyote... Especially a gen 1 or 2. And if you are going to swap to a coyote it would be useless without the 10 speed behind it. Coyotes don't make good torque and need the gearing to go fast.. especially in trucks. So you need a coyote with at least oil pump gears/crank sprocket, 10 speed trans with some upgrades, new driveshaft, and the ford racing controls pack to control the engine and trans. That doesn't include any power adders or nickel and dime stuff. Bet you would have near $30k into a proper coyotes swap that would make over 1000hp and go fast.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kirk, G20 and NMSVT

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,951 Posts
It's sucks to hear tuners and multiple people say the block needs to be sleeved at a certain power level to last yet people claim their engines make above that and are fine for years. Who are you going to believe. That is a rhetorical question. I have no idea. Go look how much it cost to sleeve a block then you are still stuck with 2v heads unless you spend even more money.

Having seen multiple people lose an engine trying to make big power and even more making 10-11 sex power with more sense and knowledge than me, I am going to keep mine around 550-600 (if that) when it runs again. I'll already have a J&s vampire so hopefully save it if it ever has some knock. I took off my killer chiller because it couldn't keep up with the charge temps. I also took off my meth because to me, it was just an unneed fuel source to fail.

If I had a stock block again, I'd do choppy cams with supporting mods with full exhaust. It would be for reliability, sound and fun, not going fast.

As for high hp 6r80/10r80 transmissions, here's a great video to watch to make you never want to attempt that unless you like braking transmissions:

The information for all of this is out there. Unfortunately it is impossible to know who to believe. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You want to make 500HP/1000TQ? Slap a 6.7L power stroke in one 😂 my F250 700HP/1400TQ all day.

As for LS powered Lightning?? 🤮 As a matter of fact there’s a local Lightning that they couldn’t break into the 10s. Threw money at it like crazy. Lots of shit they could have done before giving up on the mod motor. (Example ran ACCEL trash coils, ran a 2.5 upper pulley on 2.3 Whipple, had all kinds of weird shit going on). They slapped a LS6 In there and turbo. They now made it into the the 10s… by like .12-.18 faster than before with the mod motor! They could have easily gone 10s if they asked fellow Lightning people that now how to go fast. Heck just by using a different turner they would have done it! They used the same mustang tuner I used before when I was slow lol.

Reactions: G20
1 - 20 of 55 Posts