Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the YouTube inserts here and others as well, and OK, maybe I'm not paying 100% attention. It happens when you get really old LOL. Anyway, I see people washing cars with gas powered (and electric) high-pressure machines. WHY? I think it looks like you got a lot of foam on the car, whether you use a Foam Cannon or a Foam "gun" on the end of a hose. So what role does say 2000 PSI play in making your car look better, over the old two-bucket method, or over a Foam Gun that just hooks up to your hose? Then, theres also those battery powered pressure washers that are not super powerful, usually 500 PSI or less?

And as far as "foam" goes, is one brand of foam-producing wash better another? Do any of these wash products make the car look better immediately or keep them looking nice for a longer period of time? I have 2600 PSI gas powered unit, but I've always been reluctant to point that thing at a car!

So maybe Mike or somebody else can demystify the super high pressure washing technique and give us some bona-fide reasons as to why its better than the old two bucket system, or some cheap foam gun gadget.

·
Cogswell Cogs
3,390 Posts
I've been using a Gilmore Foam gun (the brass one) for years Mike.. just a standard garden hose model. I tried a pressure washer once.. didn't like it.
And I don't use any buckets. I wet the truck down, then foam it like crazy to "float" the dust, and loose crud off. Then continue to foam as I wash from the top down and rinse as I go.

·
NO SPONSORS
5,690 Posts
I bought a foam cannon first. It did work great and once I was set up it worked fast for washing. But that was the problem. I had to drag my power washer out, hook it all up, then get it started (gas). Now if I'm washing my fleet then fine totally worth it. Just a quick wash no.

So I bought a foam gun. The one that goes on the end of a hose. Adams ha a good sale on so I figured why not. Absolutely love it! Works great for a quick wash or if I'm cleaning for the first time I use it combined with the 2 bucket. If I'm doing a quick wash I use one bucket of clean rinse water. I especially like this in the colder months. It really cuts the time down. Also I find I'm not using as much soap and water. I used to fill 2 5gal. buckets. Now it's maybe 2gal. in each.

·
Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
1,442 Posts
OK now that that is over...here's my take...

I use a very small Ryobi 1,600-PSI 1.2-GPM Electric Pressure Washer Model# RY141600

A gas pressure washer is probably too much power. I feel comfortable that this one is fairly safe.
IIRC The thicker foam is about GPM (the above 1.2 is very little) but I still get good fairly thick foam.

I use the baby version because it's quick, easy, lightweight, highly portable, low maintenance and it fits on my shelf.
It works well with the MTM Hydro Snow Foam Cannon and the MTM Hydro PF22 Professional Snow Foam Cannon.

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
2,983 Posts
@merlin would you say GPM is more or less important than PSI when choosing an electric pressure washer?
I'm currently using a Greenworks that runs 1.2 GPM @ 1950 PSI and I feel that based off how much water comes from my hose that I could up the GPM along with a CR Spotless system for rinsing only. Not sure if you rinse with the pressure washer or just the hose. I've found that just using the hose I can focus the water flow into areas where the soapy water tends to like to hide out and run down the paint later on. I've also rinsed with the pressure washer to quickly get the surface rinsed off and then gone back over with hose and cascade the water off. I've also ordered up a 1.1mm orifice for my foam cannon to help with foaming the soap better. Will report back on how that goes.

Current complaints for the GW is hose hook up location (on side and think it would be better on the front so that I could orientate better to where my hose is), 25' hose (would be better with 50') and the reel handle is flimsy at times when using.

·
1,442 Posts
@merlin
Would you say GPM is more or less important than PSI when choosing an electric pressure washer?

I'm currently using a Greenworks that runs 1.2 GPM @ 1950 PSI

I've also ordered up a 1.1mm orifice for my foam cannon to help with foaming the soap better. Will report back on how that goes. .
GPM is more important the PSI
I use a baby Ryobi. It's easy to use, it is small, electric and fits on my shelf.
I get good foam results with Poorboy's Super Slick & Foam Soap Pre-Soak Shampoo
I also just ordered a 1.1mm from China. We'll compare notes in about 2-3 weeks

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
2,983 Posts
GPM is more important the PSI
I use a baby Ryobi. It's easy to use, it is small, electric and fits on my shelf.
I get good foam results with Poorboy's Super Slick & Foam Soap Pre-Soak Shampoo
I also just ordered a 1.1mm from China. We'll compare notes in about 2-3 weeks
Ha! I ordered my 1.1mm off ebay on May 8th and it's still en route with an estimated delivery date of May 29th. For those in a rush and want either a new foam cannon or a replacement I just received this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078XT51N7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it comes with both a 1.10 and 1.25 orifice.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Bump, I am thinking about purchasing a foam gun/cannon. I would rather have the foam gun so I don't have to get out the pressure washer to wash any of my vehicles however I have not seen one that performs remotely close to a foam cannon. Even the more expensive foam guns don't perform really well. And lets face it, most expensive ones are just re-branded cheap models (if not all,except mtm)

So instead of me making another thread,lets keep this one alive and see what foam gun/cannon(s) you guys are using.

·
1,442 Posts
Bump, I am thinking about purchasing a foam gun/cannon. I would rather have the foam gun so I don't have to get out the pressure washer to wash any of my vehicles however I have not seen one that performs remotely close to a foam cannon. Even the more expensive foam guns don't perform really well. And lets face it, most expensive ones are just re-branded cheap models (if not all,except mtm)

So instead of me making another thread,lets keep this one alive and see what foam gun/cannon(s) you guys are using.
I use...
MTM Hydro PF22 Professional Snow Foam Cannon

The pressure washer I use is the baby electric Ryobi 1,800 psi 1.2 GPM Electric Pressure Washer
The GPM isn't great but it works fine for washing a car. It's easy to use and it stores on the shelf.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts