Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, how are you? I have the following lightning for sale for the reasons mentioned in the ad. I really need to get into a 4 wheel drive and don't want to do the 2 car thing. http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70100

I honestly cannot beleive it has not sold, even WITH the economy. The blue book on the truck is around 9k, and for $3,400 more someone can get a fully built L. That is the cost of a fawking shortblock!!!:smt097 I am thinking about starting to part it because I think I might be able to get more than the $12,400 I am asking for the truck. Below are the prices I think I could get give or take.

$4,500 - Longblock (JDM, manley, ARP hardware, new timing stuff, chris starnes heads, stage 2 cams)
$1,200 - Complete built trans/stall
$1,200 - Exhaust (kooks LT, JDM catted mid, OBX)
$600 - Gauges (wideband, dual interceptors, boost gauge, pod)
$600 - Suspension (BB longbars, BB panhard, BB DS, Strange Shocks)
$1,000 - Engine Bolt ons (LFP HE, MP Big O, C&L elbow, Trick IC Res, Diablo Mafia, coil pack screws)
$1000 - Stiegy Stage 4, non-slip changeable pulley, Ported midplate, ported Lower, ported plenum, 6 pound pulley)

$10,100 Total

So with a weekend of pulling some stuff I would be $2,300 away from my asking price and still have a lot of stuff left to sell. The whole body kit, interior and panels, radiator, hoses, wiring harness, dual walbros and SS Y, injectors, wheels, tires, predator tuner, factory tonneau cover, grills, etc.

So my questions to you guys are:
1. Do you think the prices I listed above for the major components are reasonable?

2. Would you take on the task of parting it or wait and hope a buyer comes along for the whole truck?

3. How much do you think I could make parting the whole thing?

I hate to consider this because of the work involved and because the truck is a whipple/slicks away from running low 11's. But at the same time, I don't think I should go any lower because I think I can make more parting it.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
E85 POWERED L
839 Posts
I think the prices are fair and you could probably sell the truck as a roller for 3500 or so and not have to gut it. Sucks to see this though this is starting to become common...

·
Premium Member
25,433 Posts
Personally, I would list it locally. And on eBay, Craigslist, etc. It should have sold at that price. Stock ones are still selling locally for $15-$17k. Maybe try a lot that will let you sell it on consignment.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the prices are fair and you could probably sell the truck as a roller for 3500 or so and not have to gut it. Sucks to see this though this is starting to become common...
yeah I know...I love this truck and a lot of work and money has been put into it. Even if someone has to pay $800 to ship it to them they are still getting a great deal.

Selling it as a roller would be an option, especially with the Trick turbo kits in the works if someone goes 4 valve...

·
Flyin HI
31,040 Posts
I'd say swap out the headlights, paint or change the grill, shine up the eng, and it'll sell.

I wouldn't part it out. That's a very fair price and looks good. :bigtu

edit: And take good pics after the detail. It's all in the presentation.

·
What's my age again?
2,070 Posts
I would hold out your already loosing an ass load as is. There are always going to be parts lingering around that no one buys as well. Happens with every part out. If you do part out hold out until I can afford you exhaust :)

·
Building a fast catfish!!!
15,687 Posts
If it wasnt red id be sellin everything I had to buy it.... Lol

Sent via my damn droid.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I would start the part out if I could sell the big items, being the exhaust, longblock, and transmission. If I didnt have 3 buyers, then I wouldn't do it. The rest of the stuff goes pretty fast in the classifieds.

·
Administrator
18,599 Posts
You are way optomistic on the exhaust pricing. But unfortunately this is where the economic reality sets in. Our trucks have gotten old. They don't command what we would like to get.

Jim

·
Ford Certified Technician
5,194 Posts
Hold out it will sell eventually... you need to whore it out and put it up everywhere that its for sale. Thats a very fair price If I had the cash i would scoop that sucker up quick. gotta be patient man.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are way optomistic on the exhaust pricing. But unfortunately this is where the economic reality sets in. Our trucks have gotten old. They don't command what we would like to get.

Jim
Really? i think it is a fair price....new it would be at least $1,700+...$1,200 is fair and one guy already posted he was interested.

·
Lightning Society Addict
103 Posts
Your going to kick yourself in the ass later down the road for doing either one or the other, do you have to get a new 4x4 so you can get it dirty and scratch the paint and lift it and get bigger tires and making payments to the bank and Chevron. I see all kinds of 4Runners and little Toyotas out here pretty cheap and there fun and easy to work on. Just sayin I have my L and my 91 Toy, if I can do it so can anybody else. Just sayin there is another option. Good luck my friend.

·
Whipple Powered
3,850 Posts
Definitely paint that grille black ASAP.

I think the truck is great and so is the price. I hope no one takes this the wrong way (as it does not apply to me) but I think some people have a stigma against 99-00 Lightnings from the get go and try to avoid them.

·
2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin Saleen SC
338 Posts
If your truck was for sale in June I'd have bought yours instead. I bought this one to go fully built. I didn't invest much money in the truck itself and it's mechanically flawless. If I could sell my 99 with 175K for around 8500-9000 I'd buy yours instead. To own yours would stop me from putting a supercharger on my Sport Trac Adrenalin because your truck is 10 times better than an supercharged OEM 4.6L imo.

I listed mine for sale on craigslist and autotrader and in my local paper.

If I get lucky, I'll PM you but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you lol.

If I don't sell it to buy yours, it's being traded in Sept or October for the Saleen supercharger conversion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts