Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya guys, it's been a while since I've been on here...I had the dreaded knocking, well it was a rod bearing. Anyway, new engine is in, built to stock with really good parts and I only have 250 miles on new engine. I'm looking to build back to stock by doing a little body work and new carpet and interior. Those are the big ticket items. I want an oil separator (a good one) where do you guys suggest? Also looking for CAI and increase the hp a little with a 4# lower...what kind of hp increase am I looking at and is there anything I should know? I figure you guru's could point me in the right direction and offer up some suggestions?

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
White Knight, rather than taking the time to type the same information myself and others have typed out countless times before I say this... the topics you've asked about have been covered extensively over the years. I am a dreaded "search Nazi" and encourage you to use the search feature. Over the last 10 years I have learned more by using the search feature to help me formulate good modding choices than by waiting for others to tell me what I should do because its what they did.

Inevitably someone will chime in to say the search feature sucks. I guarantee they are the same guys who require spoon fed answers that they then pass off to others as gospel.

As the saying goes, knowledge is power. If you invest the time to learn the in's and out's of modding you will have years of reliable enjoyment :bigtu. If you rely on others to tell you what to do you will most likely find yourself in a bad way somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the info, I have modded mustangs over the years...just not to familiar with super chargers . My new engine can handle 18# of boost, but I read on here that someone put a 6# lower on their's and blew out the side of the block???I don't want that to happen, but I'm reading as many posts as I can.

·
10,556 Posts
What do you mean by "built to stock?" Is it a new factory motor with the same weak rods or is it a forged bottom end? Boost is a measure of resistance that is affected by several variables. Boost is not the best yardstick by which to measure performance or the potential and capabilities of a motor. Case and point... I've seen 20 PSI during cool weather with my race pulley combination on the stock block. Others have blown stock motors with the factory pulleys.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean by "built to stock?" Is it a new factory motor with the same weak rods or is it a forged bottom end? Boost is a measure of resistance that is affected by several variables. Boost is not the best yardstick by which to measure performance or the potential and capabilities of a motor. Case and point... I've seen 20 PSI during cool weather with my race pulley combination on the stock block. Others have blown stock motors with the factory pulleys.
Built to stock=not a stroker mtr or high compression, stock cams...but forged bottom end and scat H beam rods with arp bolts.

·
10,556 Posts
With those rods you can reliably spin the hell out of the Eaton. With solid tuning and all necessary supporting mods you can have the foundation for an enjoyable 500 RWHP machine that you can flog the piss out of. Port the SC for a better power curve. I'm intentionally being vague so you have to do a little leg work but as you come up with questions, ask so we can help you learn and make smart choices.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With those rods you can reliably spin the hell out of the Eaton. With solid tuning and all necessary supporting mods you can have the foundation for an enjoyable 500 RWHP machine that you can flog the piss out of. Port the SC for a better power curve. I'm intentionally being vague so you have to do a little leg work but as you come up with questions, ask so we can help you learn and make smart choices.
Ok, here's a question....I know of just about every place I can find mustang parts....where are some good places to buy lightning parts?

·
10,556 Posts
I highly recommend browsing the classifieds, you'll save a ton of coin buying from there when possible. The same can be said for ebay. Also check out the supporting vendor section and their websites. Much of it depends on what mod you are buying at any given point. Buying basic bolt-ons you have Johnny Lightning Performance (JLP), JDM, Woodbine Motorsports (WMS), Lightning Force Performance (LFP), Because Racecare (BR).

Tuning can be done via email with JLP, JDM, WMS, Eric Korn, ModularBigBoreStroker (Eric), DolSVT00 (Randy). In OKC I've heard of Abel Racing and of course Midwest Auto from the TV series Street Outlaws. Maybe someone will chime in to give the yay or nay on the OKC guys I just mentioned. I know member Lightning Kyle tunes/tuned his turbo'd Lightning at Abel Racing and member Owens tuned with both Abel Racing and Midwest, although renowned Mustang tuner Mike Murillo is the guy who actually tuned Owens' truck at the Midwest shop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I highly recommend browsing the classifieds, you'll save a ton of coin buying from there when possible. The same can be said for ebay. Also check out the supporting vendor section and their websites. Much of it depends on what mod you are buying at any given point. Buying basic bolt-ons you have Johnny Lightning Performance (JLP), JDM, Woodbine Motorsports (WMS), Lightning Force Performance (LFP), Because Racecare (BR).

Tuning can be done via email with JLP, JDM, WMS, Eric Korn, ModularBigBoreStroker (Eric), DolSVT00 (Randy). In OKC I've heard of Abel Racing and of course Midwest Auto from the TV series Street Outlaws. Maybe someone will chime in to give the yay or nay on the OKC guys I just mentioned. I know member Lightning Kyle tunes/tuned his turbo'd Lightning at Abel Racing and member Owens tuned with both Abel Racing and Midwest, although renowned Mustang tuner Mike Murillo is the guy who actually tuned Owens' truck at the Midwest shop.
Thx, I'll start checking those out. And I went by Midwest and they said they don't work on Fords.

·
10,556 Posts
That must be why Murillo tuned Owens' truck. At least it sounds like they (Midwest) know their wheel house.

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
Thx, I'll start checking those out. And I went by Midwest and they said they don't work on Fords.
Abel in MWC tunes James' 2.6 KB setup and Kyle's turbo setup. I don't have any experience with them personally, but they seem to be happy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
To your initial question... I am running the 4lb lower, K&N CAI, SC4X and a conservative tune w 14.5* timing.. Mine made 386/457.... It's a fun truck.. nothing like some of these monsters on this forum. At some point I too will upgrade bottom end, forge, rods,pistons, ARP hardware.. Until then, it's a true bolt on Driver...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's what I was going to start with, cai, 4# lower, and a tune...then stepping up to 2# upper...and seeing where that leads me.

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,884 Posts
An engine that handles just 18lbs sound sounds like an odd description. With a stock head/cam engine on a built bottom end and be very fun. I have a buddy here's whos true blue has that. Beast mode with joker ported m122 and Dol tune.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts