Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda gave up because the spray on clear stuff I was using was just too slimy. It didn't last that long but the slimy residue rubs off on everything. It seemed to be a magnet for brake dust as well, so the minute you touch the tire you're filthy.

Is there a good product out there that gives your tires a nice deep black color, I'm not hung up on the gloss aspect. A dull, deep black finish that is not going to come off when you walk too close with light color pants, that's what I want. And if the tire dressing holds up for a couple weeks that'd be nice too.

From what I've read water based products could be the best way to go. Silicone gels in varying states of liquidity are probably not. But let's hear from the bull pen.

Mike

· Slowest Silver Lightning
2,548 Posts
Using silicone products on tires can cause blooming or browning of the tires to be more pronounced if not removed regularly.

I only use water-based, specifically 303, on all rubber. While it isn't as shiny, the protection is unrivaled imho. Also, pure water-based products remove so much easier and don't gum up my cleaning brushes or leave spots on the driveway

Chemical Guys VRP- they say is water-based which I may try. It makes the tires look wet and they say it doesnt sling- it may be water based but I think that to get shine it prob has some, albeit minor, silicone.

At the end of the day, avoid solvent-based which are usually clear. If you are getting sling, do a light wipe down with a throw away rag.

· Registered
1,220 Posts
Using silicone products on tires can cause blooming or browning of the tires to be more pronounced if not removed regularly.

I only use water-based, specifically 303, on all rubber. While it isn't as shiny, the protection is unrivaled imho. Also, pure water-based products remove so much easier and don't gum up my cleaning brushes or leave spots on the driveway

Chemical Guys VRP- they say is water-based which I may try. It makes the tires look wet and they say it doesnt sling- it may be water based but I think that to get shine it prob has some, albeit minor, silicone.

At the end of the day, avoid solvent-based which are usually clear. If you are getting sling, do a light wipe down with a throw away rag.

^^^this stuff

Chemical Guys has one of the best tire dressing I've tired. Their VRP dressing is good on tires, interior or exterior plastics, and engine bay plastics. Wipe on and it gives a perfect shine. If you don't want as much shine wipe again with a clean dry rag. It lasts a long time as well. You will not be disappointed.

Another great tire dressing is Chadwick's. I was given some to try, and so far I like it.

· Accused Resto Nazi
303 Posts
My preference is this:

However, I'm currently using up a supply of this stuff that I bought for $3.33/bottle:

If you're not needing a bunch of shine or simply prefer your tires to just look like clean rubber (as I do), this stuff is/has been perfectly fine so far.

· Bracket maker
3,984 Posts
I think I have used most every dressing mentioned and I tried a product that is big out here at a bunch of the Northern Cali Shows. Its called Re-tire dressing. It is designed for whitewalls but makes tires look brand new again. No real shine to it but it makes it look like brand new rubber was just installed on your car. Works great on hoses or any other rubber product. Also works great on whites sneakers:)

· "01 Fastblack"
320 Posts
I kinda gave up because the spray on clear stuff I was using was just too slimy. It didn't last that long but the slimy residue rubs off on everything. It seemed to be a magnet for brake dust as well, so the minute you touch the tire you're filthy.

Is there a good product out there that gives your tires a nice deep black color, I'm not hung up on the gloss aspect. A dull, deep black finish that is not going to come off when you walk too close with light color pants, that's what I want. And if the tire dressing holds up for a couple weeks that'd be nice too.

From what I've read water based products could be the best way to go. Silicone gels in varying states of liquidity are probably not. But let's hear from the bull pen.

Mike
I use M-Tech I think it's made by mothers black bottle with red lettering, use a tire applicator and goes on easy dry's in minutes with no grease or slime and looks deep black like a new tire but not very shinny, looks new with no mess. I think it's 5-7 bucks at autozone can't beat that!

· Registered
2,007 Posts
I usually use silicone tire shine, spray it onto a 2" brush and the really gets into the texturem writing, etc on the sidewalls while also having no sling. I recently decided to try some Wipe New as it had good reviews on random YouTube videos I watched and it was $5 at WalMart. Haven't tried it yet though, just did a heavy degreasing and used a plastic brush to remove the browness from the tire, just have yet to apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE4zpxz6590

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.