Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for ideas guys. So I’ve got an old 96 4.6 dohc with 40k miles on it with the pcm and harness. I hope the pats/vats system won’t be to much if any trouble to over come with a swap, I’m not sure??

I found all sorts of 96-98 cobras with toasted motors complete cars for cheap 2500 to 3500 range most saying obo.

I got to thinking and I don’t want to dump a butt load of money to mod the hell out of this thing.

I always liked the idea the fiero guys had with sticking a rather plan Jane 350 in there fieros and running some type of slicks and getting a killer 1/4 time in the 11 and 10's with no blower. Some are even hitting 9's with the GTP sc 3.8 engine. I think it’s cool even if you can’t make a turn in that little flying cheese wedge.

What has ford made that is small, light as hell, isnt front drive and that this motor will barley fit into. I can’t think of any thing for the life of me that ford has made that comes close to the fiero as far as weigh and easy moding??

I’m not worried about chopping and welding a buddy has a nice garage and is also brain storming on the idea.

What do you guys have in mind???

Extra funds coming from selling my expo this winter. So most likely a late winter start time on this build. If nothing jumps out at me then Ill turn and burn this lack luster performing engine.

Any ideas guys even the stupid sounding ones. I want to stay away from the more common ideas like gutting the hell out of a fox. I need something in the 2000lbs or less range. Power to weight is the key to my build idea.

·
Registered
62 Posts
it would be great in an older car, say like a 50 ford 2 door sedan like the one im selling. modern ponys in a classic, what a combo ,steve

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look how easy and cheap it is for the fiero guys. My step dad seems to think these nasty little fiero’s wouldn’t handle the v8 well because of the need for a smaller transmission. I just can’t think of many cars that have the support these little wedges do that run times like this for all under 10K. way under 10K if on a budget.

Theirs a few companies’s like this selling the conversions and it takes a ton of work out of fabing. Cobra engine in a fiero?? There goes a good chunk of the fire wall and a nightmare to fad a bell housing adapter and so on.

I know most don’t like the idea of mixing ford and Chevy but my step dads 56 ford f100 came out real sweet with coil over, rack and pinion , ford 9 in the rear, with a mild 350 and a OD 700r4 in it.

http://www.v8archie.com/v8fiero.htm

http://v8-fiero.us/
This guys tried it all v6, N2O, Turbo and then V8's he’s got some real cool stories. I’ve seen a few of these things when I lived in Livermore CA about 5 years ago.
I tied playing with one way back in 98 when I had my 89 5.0 stock bottom end, EB heads x303 cam, FMS Shorty’s cat less x pipe, KB non intercooled at 10 psi. So on and so on. This guy in San Ramon CA walked me like I was standing still. Ill never forget it. From light to light to 30mph rolls it just had a Crazy ass power to weight ratio. I’ve been thinking about this for years. It was like it had the TQ to pull from hell at any speed I tried.
Now what the hell does ford make in the gokart class of cars??? Im at a total loss??

·
A.K.A. SneakerWhore
2,468 Posts
Could do a Pinto, I know a 302/351 barely fits in those and they are light. Also have the Maverick, or Mercury Comet.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude I’ve got the perfect focus for a swap for dirt cheap but the whole fwd thing keeps throwing big monkey wrenches at me. The Miata would be crazy what does it weigh like 1300lbs. the drive shaft would be like 1ft long. LOL But im goggling it now.

Thanks for the ideas guys keep em coming
whatabout a cobra motor in a miata or 2 door focus?

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Dude I’ve got the perfect focus for a swap for dirt cheap but the whole fwd thing keeps throwing big monkey wrenches at me. The Miata would be crazy what does it weigh like 1300lbs. the drive shaft would be like 1ft long. LOL But im goggling it now.

Thanks for the ideas guys keep em coming
the conversions puts a 8.8 in the rear or you can do a 9 inche
They make v8 conversion kits for the Focus.Do a search on it.
yeah i cant remember the name of the place i know they are in california.think they have 2 kmembers 1 for mod motors and another for pushrods

·
THE PROPER WAY TO POWDER THAT ASS
7,531 Posts
You have to remember that mod motors are damned big. putting a 3.8 designed for a transaxel (which the fiero is) and a 4.6dohc are two different animals. Honestly I think that putting that big bitch in a fiero would be a pain in the ass. I did see a big block with a -71 blower in it the other day on the youtube. LOL didn't drive, but a good novelty.

In all seriousness when I saw the thread title the first thing that came to my mind was a fiero, but I was gonna sugest it as a joke. LOL I swear to God. Imagine my shock as I read and see you beat me to the punch. haha. Hey for some reason those little cars have a huge following, I even used to dig them back in my youth.

I dont have any good suggestions. I dont remember those motors being very potent without some boost though? I have driven a 96 cobra and was sorely disapointed at how slow it was. so in order to get the most out of that huge ass motor you are gonna need something super light. good luck and I look forward to seeing your project. :)

·
Spanking Viper Trucks
2,115 Posts
Stick it in a Camaro just to piss off the Chebby guys! I'm so ****ing sick of seeing those guys put LS1's in Fox Mustangs.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
you got it:bigtu i think the v8 focus is sweet.my focus project would be a gt500 motor in a 2dr zx3 :shocked003
Stick it in a Camaro just to piss off the Chebby guys! I'm so ****ing sick of seeing those guys put LS1's in Fox Mustangs.
you and me both!!!thats all these guys do around here.makes me sick!if i ever win the lotto i am going to go to the barrett jackson auction and buy the most exclusive zr1,you know the one all the chevy guys woulds do anything to own.then im going to gut it and put a 03-04 cobra or gt500 motor interior,dash,rearend,everything in it. you know a helf breed horse is a donkey right? thats what i call a mustang with a chevy motor a jackass

·
Longest Lasting Fly-by Nighter Ever
22,582 Posts
you and me both!!!thats all these guys do around here.makes me sick!if i ever win the lotto i am going to go to the barrett jackson auction and buy the most exclusive zr1,you know the one all the chevy guys woulds do anything to own.then im going to gut it and put a 03-04 cobra or gt500 motor interior,dash,rearend,everything in it. you know a helf breed horse is a donkey right? thats what i call a mustang with a chevy motor a jackass
LOL

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow ton of ideas guys. I checked the Miata swaps out. There pretty cool. The focus link I looked at was cool as hell but dam that price tag is off the hook for the conversion kit like 15K. Nice thing about the v8 focus its just 100 to 150 hrs of just bolting ever thing up. No fabing what so ever but there definitely making a good penny off the kits.

I never knew about the Miata swap its very cool looking.

Datsun is the next thing to google. I’ve heard of these for years but it never came to mind

Thanks every one for the ideas. And please no more talk of throwing a Chevy engine in a stang. It makes me sick to my stomach LOL Old trucks is one thing but i never heard of that twisted of an idea.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,536 Posts
why not find a 60's model Ford truck and stick the motor in there...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
16 Participants
stoffer
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing