Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
187'd
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after driving the truck for 2 months now after the accident, the rear end feels weird. I know the axles are supposed to have a small amount of play, but I don't think thats the issue. When slowly accelerating with the wheels turned slightly to the left or right, it feels like something is holding the rear end. It feels like the brakes are being pressed while i'm accelerating forwards. I also notice that if I stop on a steep hill with the wheels slightly turned, it feels like the rear wants to slip through. I want to fix this before I sell the truck. I took the truck back to where it was fixed, and they can't find anything wrong with it. I thought it was the posi going around tight turns, but now its not just around tight turns, its whenever the truck is moving slowly with the wheels slightly turned. Could the rear be out of alignment? The whole truck was realigned before I got it back.

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,119 Posts
Clutch packs in the rear are chattering. It's a normal concern. You need to change the clutch packs or install a TT or locker carrier.

Either way, it is not a cheap repair.

·
187'd
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clutch packs in the rear are chattering. It's a normal concern. You need to change the clutch packs or install a TT or locker carrier.

Either way, it is not a cheap repair.
the rear was replaced with an 84k mile unit after the accident. my guess is that insurance should cover this since it was part of the accident and not replaced properly? its been doing this since I got it back, its just becoming more noticeable.

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,119 Posts
Good luck. You are going to need it. The clutches are internal to the carrier and they are prone to failing, regardless of mileage. I really don't see them fixing it for you.

How many miles did your old diff have on it?? I had to replace my own clutches last fall with only 35K on them.

I've done them as early as 20K in Expy's and Navi's.

·
GET SOME!
240 Posts
Good luck. You are going to need it. The clutches are internal to the carrier and they are prone to failing, regardless of mileage. I really don't see them fixing it for you.

How many miles did your old diff have on it?? I had to replace my own clutches last fall with only 35K on them.

Same here... maybe you could call your insurance company and have a talk with them, they should be able to do something about it? I would hope so. But your one in a few that actually cares about the condition of what your selling, props to you! GL

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Rear end

Maybe they purchaced a used one that has a locker in it, seen this happen in a jeep, He made out, Good luck Jack up the truck Rear put in netural turn the wheel see what happens, Maybe remove rear cover look for yourself my 2 cents

·
187'd
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

my old rear had 134k miles on it, never had any issues.

Same here... maybe you could call your insurance company and have a talk with them, they should be able to do something about it? I would hope so. But your one in a few that actually cares about the condition of what your selling, props to you! GL
after i brought the truck in the first time, the shop said if i still didn't feel comfortable with it, then take it to my local mechanic or ford and have them fix it. the rear is under warranty from the accident, so insurance is technically responsible for it because the unit is faulty

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,119 Posts
Cheapest option would be to just replace the clutches with factory parts. The TT alone is over $600. Thats not including labor.

Welding spider gears and side gears together is not a good idea. If your trying to make the truck perfect for the new owner, that would not be helping them in any way.

·
187'd
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheapest option would be to just replace the clutches with factory parts. The TT alone is over $600. Thats not including labor.

Welding spider gears and side gears together is not a good idea. If your trying to make the truck perfect for the new owner, that would not be helping them in any way.
I never suggested or agreed to any of those. The truck will be perfect. Since it is being fixed by the insurance, it has to be fixed to stock spec, so some hackjob welding or a TT are not options.

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,119 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it fixed under warranty. Your very lucky. Most insurance companies will not warranty junkyard parts.

·
187'd
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to hear that you got it fixed under warranty. Your very lucky. Most insurance companies will not warranty junkyard parts.
Allstate has a 12 month warranty on any used part (because they're the ones that required the use of used parts). They won't warranty NEW parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts