Lightning Rodder banner
10841 - 10860 of 10879 Posts

·
11 Second Club
15,104 Posts
Got another quote for a built motor and was told 12k!

Waiting on one more quote then hopefully I can pay for it.

·
11 Second Club
15,104 Posts
These engine quotes are almost impossible right now but this is the basics…You’re going to be in neighborhood of 12k for a long block assembly as discussed above. Which would start with a used salvage yard core engine, disassembled to retain the block and crank. .010” overbore Diamond zero deck flycut pistons for TFS with .180” wall pins, Manley H beam rods with arp 2000 bolts, ARP main and head studs, new pump and pick up, chains, guides, steel tensioners, Ford gaskets, new Ford valve covers, MHS prepped TFS heads, cams, GT followers, lash adjusters, cam gears, degreed, assembled etc. Price varies based on core pricing, todays price variations, and machining etc. Thanks

Copy and pasted what the engine builder suggested

·
11 Second Club
15,104 Posts
If it's that much for something not sleeved, looks like ill be putting a stock pulley engine in my truck with just cams for sound if mine lets go.
Lol heck yeah

Reactions: cbxer55

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,758 Posts
I have a quote that was put together for me for a sleeved long block. Built strong. $18,660.

Reactions: Certified Drunk

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If it's that much for something not sleeved, looks like ill be putting a stock pulley engine in my truck with just cams for sound if mine lets go.
You can't touch a sleeved setup for 12k. Mine was over 17k by the time everything was paid for.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I know. I meant longblocks used to be under 8k with heads/cams not sleeved. Now, it's 5k more. I dont see myself every sleeving a 2v even it was 1/2 the cost.
Yep...my first built engine was $8500 for a longblock. Then when I dropped a guide it was $7000 to rebuild at a local shop that everyone locally recommended at that time. This engine here was my last go at the 2v. And since I wanted to push the truck further I didn't want to risk making another 50-100hp or more and crack a cylinder on a engine that was just rebuilt.

The sleeving is about a $3500 add on.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,485 Posts
Make sure you follow closely the gates tension recommendation.
If you have the stock spring tensioner, you have no control over that.

·
10 second street truck
12,553 Posts
If you have the stock spring tensioner, you have no control over that.
Yes you do.
Gates recommends belt tension based on range of motion of the tensioner.

The tensioner at rest with the belt on must be at 50% or less of movement rather than 85% for a green belt. The rpm belt doesn't have as much stretch and if over tensioned will break.

So belt length is critical.

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,977 Posts
I started to installed the hose hustler vacuum lines. I decided to pull the throttle body then whipple to get to make things much easier since my FPR is behind the driver side of the elbow. I cleaned up the TB and took some metal off where the top bolts go. I forgot how terrible the magnum powers big O throttle body is in terms of fitment. I took an end mill in a drill to clearance the washer for the top two bolts. What a pita. I also RTV's a few NPT fittings/plugs for the idle control valve and on the elbow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
First two car shows with the truck and trophies from both. The big one was a top 40 with everything at my local Masonic lodge. Lots of positive comments and only lightning there.

The other was local Mustang club and the only class was Ford Powered. Lots of stuff here and only lightning. Tons of positive feedback and lots of conversations about how you don’t see them much, etc.
Cloud Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light
Wheel Automotive side marker light Cloud Car Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle
Grille Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light

·
Registered
5 Posts
Went to a car show as well last month but not just any mustang show. Shelbyfest in downtown Jefferson City, MO. Tons of GT350 and 500's but only 2 Lightnings. She cleaned up pretty well for having just hit 100K Miles on a new motor. Wish I didn't have to parked next to this Mustang but they were great owners to talk to. He was a retired autobody worker and this was his 3 year project. Also couple of Mach 1's that my wife and I want to buy one day.

Attachments

10841 - 10860 of 10879 Posts