Lightning Rodder banner

10281 - 10300 of 10301 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,130 Posts
When I bought those tires from you, they had 51 pounds in them. I checked. These tires are one size smaller, 225/60-18. There were 235/60s on them when I got the rims from you, with 51 psi in them. You even told me they had 51 psi in them in a text message.

Do I have to draw this picture? I was always taught to inflate your tires for the wear they are showing. If the center wears too much, they're over-inflated. If the corners wear too much, they're under-inflated. The last set of tires I just took off were worn flat. All the tread bars were touching down across the entire tire. No excess corner wear. That tells me the inflation pressure is correct.

I should've taken a picture of them before getting rid of them. They just wore out too fast. As I said, I will have the alignment checked. It'll be a while because this is spring in Oklahoma, lots of rain in the forecast. Truck is under a cover in the garage for the foreseeable future. I put a few hundred miles on it this past weekend. Since I don't drive it much, it feels like a new vehicle every time I do.

The only thing I can come up with is that somehow, the toe-in/toe-out got out of whack. How I haven't a clue. I've never hit anything with the front tires that could've caused that to happen. If the tires are toe-out of in too much, they could be scrubbing off the tread. So, I'll have it checked. It just pisses me off that all the places around here demand you make an appointment, and then when you get there for the appointment, they tell you they have to keep it overnight, and it ends up sitting outside all night. GRRRRRR!!!!!

Agreed. You should inflate and what not based on what your tire wear is showing. Just odd that you are eating up fronts so quickly.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,835 Posts
I'd have to do a search on here to verify, however I had to buy and install clunk washers on my current 2004 truck. So all your ball joints and end links are from 2004?
Yup, with only 71,000 miles on them, and no driving in bad weather, when salt or sand is on the road, kept garaged under a cover. Everything looked honky-dory when I had the tires off the other day. I always look things over real good when I remove the tires, including brake pads. Those are still stock as well ,and still have plenty of material on them, front and rear. Like I said, my truck doesn't clunk. Not a peep.

Reactions: Boss Hoss

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,835 Posts
Agreed. You should inflate and what not based on what your tire wear is showing. Just odd that you are eating up fronts so quickly.
Despite the fact that there is no wiggle in my front tires when they are in the air, I suppose it's possible that the toe-in/toe-out adjustment could've migrated a bit. Which would cause the tires to scrub when driving. So yeah, I'll have it checked.

When James and I rebuilt the front end of my Ranger back in 2018, the tries had noticeable wiggle when off the ground. Top-to-bottom, and side-to-side. All the ball joints were bad, as well as the inner and outer tie rod ends. Since rebuilding it, it's as tight as my Lightning is.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,741 Posts
Robert, I had increased the air pressure for racing. They should have been lowered to 32-35 psi for street use.
As for the front suspension..., parts wear and rubber bushing deteriorate over time.
You should have it aligned now, then in 5-7 years..

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,130 Posts
Walked past it in the garage when I went to put some new spray wax away.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Walked out in the garage, looked at the trucks, looked out at the snow coming down.....walked inside and cracked a beer! FU Mother Nature!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I ordered the radio surround and window switch panels to replace my factory one. Got em sanded and ready for paint. Yours turned out great. Hope mine look that good when im done painting them!

Reactions: blackbeauty7

·
Registered
970 Posts
I got my new pod and gauge in today. For the time being until i get the new parts painyed any way. Also got all of my ground effects off so i can start prepping them for paint also.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I ordered the radio surround and window switch panels to replace my factory one. Got em sanded and ready for paint. Yours turned out great. Hope mine look that good when im done painting them!
Thanks man! Pretty happy with how they turned out. I'll get better pictures when I get the truck out of the garage. It's hard in these pictures to tell how smooth and deep the colour is. Glad I had it done!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Washed about six months of dirt and pollen off it. Gonna let it dry overnight and throw the new truck cover on in the AM.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
970 Posts
Got my parts primed, sanded smooth, base coated and clear coated. Got some orange peel. Was tryin to paint in a wimd storm🙄(thanks mother nature) No booth so ended up with some trash in my clear. Wished i cld have waited but had to get my parts top coated in the "window". Now i get to wet sand and polish and then decide if i wana rebase em or flow coat em. Over all turned out pretty good not as well as i had hoped and gained some more experience.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Got some wet sanding and compounding done. These turned out ok i guess. I still may redo em later on or matbe hit em with some polish at least. But for now eh....

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Got some wet sanding and compounding done. These turned out ok i guess. I still may redo em later on or matbe hit em with some polish at least. But for now eh.... View attachment 544370 View attachment 544371
We’re always our own worst critics. I’ll give it to you for doing it yourself. Most people are afraid to learn/do new things on their own these days!

Reactions: cbxer55

·
Registered
970 Posts
We’re always our own worst critics. I’ll give it to you for doing it yourself. Most people are afraid to learn/do new things on their own these days!
Thanks. Its a skill id like to have and learn.... so i gota start somewhere. I hear ya on being our own worst critics. Lol. Still. I want it to be perfect or im nkt happy with it most times. Lol thanks again!

Reactions: B4Thunder03
10281 - 10300 of 10301 Posts