10261 - 10280 of 10301 Posts

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,978 Posts
(y)

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,741 Posts
Truck is ready to make some passes, but I got dinged by tech for no flex plate shield SFI 30.1
Waiting to hear back from a company that makes a NHRA approved Kevlar belt.
I'm still going to the track rental on May 12th.

Marty

·
Registered
216 Posts
Lost fuel pressure last Friday and truck went into limp mode while cruising at highway speeds. Spent the week dropping the tank, replacing the pumps and a torn fuel line that I had.

Replaced Walbro 255's with DW265's and Gates submersible hose with the correct style clamps (That I just installed in February).

Tank was back up and then I didn't have a fuel level on my gauges. Dropped tank again this morning and made some adjustments. Truck is back up and running. Im a pro at dropping the tank now, lmao

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,835 Posts
The seven inch fronts on my truck need new tires. Took them off, put the 9.5 inch rims with the Goodyear Eagle F-1s on. Dropped the skinny rims at my friend Raymond's Sinclair station for new skins.

·
10,835 Posts
Robert, you have an alignment problem. Is this the 4th set of front tires in as many years?
I'm going to have it checked. Don't know what it would be, I've never hit anything with the tires. With the wheels in the air, there is no play front-to-back or top-to-bottom. Thought it might just be because the tires are pretty near their weight limit on this truck. The tires are wearing flat, no excessive wear on the inside or outside. They're just wearing fast. Due to the fact I don't drive it often, the tires actually last me about two years and around 6000 miles. Maybe I just need to change to another brand and see what happens.

·
Slevin
1,008 Posts
Wow. What tire brand are you using?
I had the same fronts for over 8 years and even with camber wear they were fine.

·
10,835 Posts
Actually a brand I've never heard of before. They're not expensive, so it's likely I am getting what I am paying for. Lemans Touring. Likely they may be too soft for this application. These trucks are pretty heavy on the front, and if the tires are soft, like meant to be sticky for good cornering, they'd wear fast. This will be the last time I buy these tires, next time I'll try some Goodyears or something. Like I said, the wear pattern is flat, no excessive corner wear. So it's not likely I have an alignment problem.

·
11,741 Posts
Robert, you have had an alignment problem since the accident. Your just too ignorant to face the facts.
Only three ways front tires wear out..prematurely.
1 out of alignment
2 bad driver
3 over/under inflation

·
10,835 Posts
Accident was at the back of the truck, not the front. They did however , check it at the body shop that did the repair, at my request. Recall, the truck that hit me, his front bumper hit my passenger side rear tire. There was no damage at the front. Truck's frame was checked on whatever machine they use to check such things.

These are 51 psi tires. And since they are close to their maximum weight rating, I run them at 50 psi. And watch them closely. I do plan on taking the truck to the Goodyear shop three miles away and have them check it again. I just know, somehow, that they will try and convince me that the entire front end needs to be rebuilt. Even though it's tight. Not even the slightest little wiggle at all. But all shops try and hoodwink you.

How does a bad driver cause wear? Constantly running over things that may cause the front end to become misaligned?

Once again, if the tires are wearing flat, no excessive corner wear, how is there a problem. I love seeing tires wear flat. Maybe too much toe-in? Causing the tires to scrub all the time? Too much toe-out?

So, even though I've never hit anything, I watch for potholes religiously in this area (Potholes R Us), the front end just went out of alignment due to mysterious forces at work?

Funny, rebuilt the front end of my Ranger in July 2018, with much help from a friend. Took lots of measurements, put it back together using those measurements. Never had it aligned. And the same exact tires, in a different size, are headed for 20,000 miles here soon. But the Ranger is a lot lighter than the Lightning. A lot. The tires are nowhere near maxed out like the ones on my Lightning are.

·
10,835 Posts
BTW, while I don't intentionally drive my truck in the rain, the last time I did so, I drove it to an empty abandoned mall parking lot a mile away, and did some straight line driving in the wet. So I could get out and look at the tire treads on the wet pavement. Front tires leave there mark almost dead center in the treads of the rear tires. The skinny fronts are cut down two inches on the inside, so the fronts are not perfectly centered. This was when I had Nittos on the back and the same fronts. The Nittos were on 1.5 spacers. So they almost made up for the 2.5 inches cut off the fronts. Two different tread patterns, but could still see the front tread pattern in the rear on wet pavement. Nearly centered on both sides. No evidence the front tires are rolling offset as compared to the rears.

So where's the out of alignment from the accident?

·
10,835 Posts
Picked up the rims with the new tires. Will not put them on until I can get the alignment checked. Obviously, I'll need to put them on to get an accurate align, since they are brand new. Will not drive the truck unless I am on the way to get it aligned. If the front end needs to be rebuilt, so be it. But since there is no wiggle at all, they are going to have to convince me of it.

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,131 Posts
Picked up the rims with the new tires. Will not put them on until I can get the alignment checked. Obviously, I'll need to put them on to get an accurate align, since they are brand new. Will not drive the truck unless I am on the way to get it aligned. If the front end needs to be rebuilt, so be it. But since there is no wiggle at all, they are going to have to convince me of it.
Suspension can be tight and still not right.

You can torque the upper and lower control arms all the ugga dugga you can toss at it but if they aren't square.

·
10,835 Posts
Suspension can be tight and still not right.

You can torque the upper and lower control arms all the ugga dugga you can toss at it but if they aren't square.
What caused them to be out of square. Never hit them on anything. The accident mentioned, the right corner of the front bumper of an F250 hit my passenger rear tire. Not even close to the front end. Only body damage was in the vicinity of the rear tire, and it was small. So, they just, all of the sudden, out of the blue, went out of square? No one else has ever driven this truck since I've owned it. I had Toyo's on that truck for years with no unusual wear at all. Of course, Toyo's are kind of like rubber bricks. LMAO!!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
What caused them to be out of square. Never hit them on anything. The accident mentioned, the right corner of the front bumper of an F250 hit my passenger rear tire. Not even close to the front end. Only body damage was in the vicinity of the rear tire, and it was small. So, they just, all of the sudden, out of the blue, went out of square? No one else has ever driven this truck since I've owned it. I had Toyo's on that truck for years with no unusual wear at all. Of course, Toyo's are kind of like rubber bricks. LMAO!!
You've never replaced the front suspension at all? Added clunk washers?

·
11,741 Posts
Bet it’s never been touched since it was new...
I don’t understand why he runs 50 psi in the front tires.., what’s the weight rating on them?

·
10,835 Posts
You've never replaced the front suspension at all? Added clunk washers?
It's a 2004. Weren't the clunk washers put in them when new? My 2000 had been recalled for that. Why wouldn't Ford incorporate them in the trucks when new if there was a recall in 2000? Anyhow, I have a book of receipts from the original owner. Some are from Ford dealers. I'll have to go through them and see. Like I said, when I bought the truck it had Toyos on it. They were on it from Nov. 2009 when I bought it, til I believe it was 2015, when I bought the narrowed fronts from Marty. They never showed any unusual wear in all that time. Truck only has 71,000 miles on it. Why would t he suspension need to be replaced at that low a mileage. Like I said, there is no slop at all. No wiggle top-to-bottom or side-to-side.

In any event, my front end does not clunk. Never heard a peep from it.

·
10,835 Posts
Bet it’s never been touched since it was new...
I don’t understand why he runs 50 psi in the front tires.., what’s the weight rating on them?
When I bought those tires from you, they had 51 pounds in them. I checked. These tires are one size smaller, 225/60-18. There were 235/60s on them when I got the rims from you, with 51 psi in them. You even told me they had 51 psi in them in a text message.

Do I have to draw this picture? I was always taught to inflate your tires for the wear they are showing. If the center wears too much, they're over-inflated. If the corners wear too much, they're under-inflated. The last set of tires I just took off were worn flat. All the tread bars were touching down across the entire tire. No excess corner wear. That tells me the inflation pressure is correct.

I should've taken a picture of them before getting rid of them. They just wore out too fast. As I said, I will have the alignment checked. It'll be a while because this is spring in Oklahoma, lots of rain in the forecast. Truck is under a cover in the garage for the foreseeable future. I put a few hundred miles on it this past weekend. Since I don't drive it much, it feels like a new vehicle every time I do.

The only thing I can come up with is that somehow, the toe-in/toe-out got out of whack. How I haven't a clue. I've never hit anything with the front tires that could've caused that to happen. If the tires are toe-out or in too much, they could be scrubbing off the tread. So, I'll have it checked. It just pisses me off that all the places around here demand you make an appointment, and then when you get there for the appointment, they tell you they have to keep it overnight, and it ends up sitting outside all night. GRRRRRR!!!!!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It's a 2004. Weren't the clunk washers put in them when new? My 2000 had been recalled for that. Why wouldn't Ford incorporate them in the trucks when new if there was a recall in 2000? Anyhow, I have a book of receipts from the original owner. Some are from Ford dealers. I'll have to go through them and see. Like I said, when I bought the truck it had Toyos on it. They were on it from Nov. 2009 when I bought it, til I believe it was 2015, when I bought the narrowed fronts from Marty. They never showed any unusual wear in all that time. Truck only has 71,000 miles on it. Why would t he suspension need to be replaced at that low a mileage. Like I said, there is no slop at all. No wiggle top-to-bottom or side-to-side.

In any event, my front end does not clunk. Never heard a peep from it.

I'd have to do a search on here to verify, however I had to buy and install clunk washers on my current 2004 truck. So all your ball joints and end links are from 2004?

10261 - 10280 of 10301 Posts