Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - the heads are on order and I'll have them at the end of the month...

Here is my motor build-up so far = [smilie=ughug.gif]what am I missing?

- JDM built bottom end (in the garage)
- Stage II ported heads (on order)
- Stage II cams (in the heads, on order)
- ARP head studs (in the mail)
- all new Ford gaskets (in the garage)
- all new Ford timing parts, including gears, bolts, washers, spacers (in the garage)
- replacemnt stock oil pan (in the garage)
- Steg ported stock Eaton (still waiting for GP to formulate and NLOC)
- Steg ported (or me ported) stock plenum (see blower above)
- Siemens/Deka 60# injectors (in the garage)
- Walbro twin 255 LPH pumps (in the garage)
- SCT BigAir MAF (in the garage)
- JLP 5# lower (in the garage - left over from old motor)
- 12" open element filter (in the garage - left over from old motor)
- Rubbermaid trash can - needs to be formed into a CAI shield (in the garbage, I mean garage)
- tuning by SCT PRP (need to buy still - waiting on Xcal 2)
- 2# upper pulley (still need to buy)

I still need to buy a replacement stock oil pump pick-up

Have I missed the boat on anything or forgotten anything that is going to bite me in the butt?

As a bonus quiestion - what HP do you see with this combo?

Thanks,
Herb

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
if i were you i may consider going to an 8lb lower and forgetting the upper to help with belt slip. that is my plan, actually i want to get the mp idler set up also, but that will have to wait.

·
Registered
202 Posts
spark plugs, new fuel filter, 170 thermostat (if you don't already have one). Perfect time for a converter if you were thinking of changing.

Jody

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Converter....

Yeah Jody, I really should swap that while I'm in - my money tree not only stopped giving fruit - it died, rotted and killed the rest of my garden!

What cost would I be expecting for a convertor? I am not too up on convertor tech - is the stall related to vehicle weight or motor torque, or both?

Plugs and stat will be picked up at FFW in Houston - I was already palnning on those, but forget to list them.

Also good idea on the 8lb! I was thinking of selling off the 5# and getting a 6#/2# combo, but the 8# lower makes real good sense! The motor will see the same boost either way - is there any benefit to spreading the boost increase bwteen both pullies, compare to all on the lower?

Thanks,
Herb

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
What are you going to run for Exhaust?

·
Registered
85 Posts
herb101 said:
OK - the heads are on order and I'll have them at the end of the month...

Here is my motor build-up so far =  [smilie=ughug.gif]what am I missing?

- JDM built bottom end (in the garage)
- Stage II ported heads (on order)
- Stage II cams (in the heads, on order)
- ARP head studs (in the mail)
- all new Ford gaskets (in the garage)
- all new Ford timing parts, including gears, bolts, washers, spacers (in the garage)
- replacemnt stock oil pan (in the garage)
- Steg ported stock Eaton (still waiting for GP to formulate and NLOC)
- Steg ported (or me ported) stock plenum (see blower above)
- JLP 5# lower (in the garage - left over from old motor)
- 12" open element filter (in the garage - left over from old motor)
- Rubbermaid trash can - needs to be formed into a CAI shield (in the garbage, I mean garage)
- tuning by SCT PRP (need to buy still - waiting on Xcal 2)
- 2# upper pulley (still need to buy)

I still need to buy a replacement stock oil pump pick-up

Have I missed the boat on anything or forgotten anything that is going to bite me in the butt?

As a bonus quiestion - what HP do you see with this combo?

Thanks,
Herb
High volume oil pump or did one come with the short block? Got mine from Sal. :D

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
bobver said:
Injectors?  MAFXtender?
read the whole post:

herb101 said:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys,

For exhaust, I was running factory manifolds and cat-back connected with a Maggy Hi FLow catted mid-pipe.

I have a line on a used LT, cat mid-pipe, Bassani Cat-Back system that I am hoping to have when the combo comes together.

Oil pump came with the short block from JDM.

Herb

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DOH! You can't blow a gasket if you don't have one!! [smilie=3gears.gif]

Yep, I got em! Actually I've asked around about the part numbers - maybe you can help...

I ordered 3U7Z-60510AA and 3U7Z-6051-BA and I received 4C2Z-6051-AA and 4C2Z-6051-BA. I was told by the parts guy that these superceeded the other numbers and are correct for the application, but I have not been able to confirm this. Can you?

Thanks,
Herb

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
herb101 said:
DOH!  You can't blow a gasket if you don't have one!! [smilie=3gears.gif]

Yep, I got em!  Actually I've asked around about the part numbers - maybe you can help...

I ordered 3U7Z-60510AA and 3U7Z-6051-BA and I received 4C2Z-6051-AA and 4C2Z-6051-BA.  I was told by the parts guy that these superceeded the other numbers and are correct for the application, but I have not been able to confirm this.  Can you?

Thanks,
Herb
Those part numbers look right to me.. However, I dont use Ford Head gaskets, I use the Felpro MLS gasket and have had great success with them.

I see you are using ARP head studs/nuts, make sure your engine builder gave you detailed instructions on how to torque those heads down.

[email protected]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks JJ,

I'll check with them on the torque and procedure.

The new gaskets that I have are a MLS design with four layers (inner two are stainless - or at least shiny, outer two are charcol gray and embossed).

The old gaskets that came off the motor (an 02) appear to be a composit type design, but (I know this is weird) they 'sound' like MLS gaskets. You can't actually separate the layers - they seem to be sealed around the periphery, but the 'rattle' when you shake them, like there is a loose core inside them. No matter - those are the old gaskets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts