Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Black Sunshine
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on the lift trying to locate an exhaust leak. Had the truck in drive reved to about 1200 rpm and the tranny pukes all over. First guess is the front seal. Had no problem or signs before.. My question is why?? Any insight will help a bunch.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Where did it spit from? The rear seal?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nevermind

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've read your post three or four times since you posted and all I can think is:

It was time for it to go. Maybe the free rev finally got the worn torque converter hub to scrape the front seal just right and... it cried.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The seal usually gets dinged up by a worn or damaged converter hub. Either that or the front seal was old and brittle and simply cracked, but that's more common on cars that are not driven frequently.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine just went lol... Okay, not really laughing about it.. wait, yes I am... the alternatives will cost me my freedom. :)

·
RJ Lightning
112 Posts
most common is for the front pump bushing to wear excessively or spin. Sometimes there is too much clearance between the
converter hub and bushing with new parts. I use machine in place bushings when I can get them. With big clearance the seal cant handle the volume of oil getting past the bushing and leaks or even blows out. Engine to trans miss alignment of case to crank or bad flywheel runout are common causes too. Been doing trans work 40 years and seen a lot of this. The modern seals are very good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts