Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard water every time I hit the brakes the other day. Sounded like it was in the passenger door, checked it, door was fine. Crawled under truck, pulled a rubber plug right under the rear seatbelt bolt, and water poured out of the cab frame. Wondering if anyone might know where it's coming from? (rear window seal leaking??) Checked for cracks/holes on the cab under door weather stripping, looks okay.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Heater core???

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Most likely water intrusion from the read window. Easy fix (relatively speaking), more of an inconvenience than anything. If it is due to a leaky window seal you'll just a new butyl tape seal from Napa for about $20.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did notice that my rear 3rd brake light right side (passenger) screw is not mounted to anything. (you push on it and it moves, the left side (driver) is mounted solid. Just haven't had time to check it out. Does that rear cab brake light have a gasket on it?

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
IIRC there is a little plug the wiring for the brake light passes through but that probably isn't the issue if water intrusion from the rear window is in fact your problem. There is a butyl rope seal that gets compressed between the pinch-weld of the cab and the glass. Over time this seal can dry out, shrink and cause leaks.

If this is your problem its can be fixed with basic hand tools and its not difficult, but the back glass has to be removed which might be a little intimidating but its not a bad job at all and can be done in a few hours.

To give you an idea of what to expect and a step-by-step break down I've attached a great link. As I said previously Napa sells a roll of the butyl rope for about $20, 3/8" diameter is what I used when I swapped to the solid back glass and color matched rear window surround.

If you do replace the butyl rope seal I recommend doing a water intrusion check before you piece all of the interior back together.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26414

1 - 8 of 8 Posts