Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing with my parts in the garage a little while ago (truck parts - come on people) and I decided to document the differences between the stock heads and the Stage IIs I'll be putting on.  So here that is...

Cams - I was surprised that I could actually easily see the increased duration in the cam grind.  These pics are crappy, but what you're looking for is the overall shape of the lobe, especially the narrow part on top.  The narrower this peak is, the quicker the valve event.  Slower event = valve open longer = more duration.  I could also see a slight increase in lift as observed by the taller narrow part on the new cam, but it is a small difference.
Stock cam lobe:

Stage II cam lobe:

Here are the combustion chambers compared...
Stock:

and Stage II:

and the valves with a tape for reference...
Stock:

and Stage II:

Here are the ports, intake first, with the gasket for reference...
Stock:

and Stage II:

and finally, the exhaust ports, with a tape for reference...
Stock (note that the port is actually about 1-1/4" across - the carbon build up makes it look larger):

and Stage II:

Sorry about the book (but hey it's a picture book), but I thought this might be good info for anyone considering heads, but not really sure of what they'll get.

Enjoy,
Herb

G

·
Yours two. :D Mine are already on, been on for a while. Makes 570 horse on pump 91 W/ stock manifolds. [smilie=eek4.gif]

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
It's hard to find good Head these days :D

Excellent Post Erb, I really appreciate seeing the diff
Man those are awesome Heads Bro :smt023 :smt023, WOO HOO......

Nice porting Allen, :smt023 :smt023
I sooooooo wish I would have done the Heads and or Cams :-?
I'm going to have to do SOMETHING to make up for it ???

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Looks Like you have one hell of a truck in the makeing :smt023

On a side Note It can be hard to find Good Head these days :LOL

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:
I sooooooo wish I would have done the Heads and or Cams :-?
I'm going to have to do SOMETHING to make up for it ???
Quit your squawking already and get that turbo kit! sheeesh :smt064 :smt033 [smilie=drevil.gif]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Those heads look fab iam not gooing to be doing any of that stuff yet.
Just to add this note in the UK good head is easy to find here,Its just being able to AFFORD IT [smilie=xxrotflmao.gif]

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
have you considered the cooling mod i posted about on nloc, while you have the lower manifold off?

there was a good solution posted of drilling and tapping a hole in the water passage in the driver's side rear of the lower.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good info on the cooling mod - I just brought it back up and subscribed.

I was actaully following that one for a while, but lost track of it.

If I do decide on that, I think I like the idea os steel brained hose and AN fittings better, if I can swing a design for that.

Thanks,
Herb

Thanks for the continued kind words on my heads guys - I hope they run as good as they look!!

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
it could be done easily that way. just drill and tap the hole for pipe threads, get a pipe to -an adapter to screw in, and then connect your braided hose with an -an fitting.

you just need a way to connect the other end to the heate after you tee them together.

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
i am trying to decide what to do on mine. the shop is waiting for a new temp and knock sensor to finish assembly of the motor, so the pper intake is off again. i may go get it to do this on the weekend and take it back to them next week. i really want this mod done, and the orginal plan of using the fitting that goes in the freeze plug hole (how the mustang guys do it) won't fit due to the proximity to the firewall.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like someone on the other forum mentioned - just do the holes and tap them. If you back out of the mod, seal them with pipe plugs and thread sealer.

Herb

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
any idea on the size of the hole, and the size of the fitting used? also what size is the heater hose back there?

i will be doing this tomorrow, as this is my last chance before the manifold and supercharger go back on.

casey02L said it was a little tight back there, since i assume you pulled your own motor, any idea on how tight it is going to be back there? my mechanic will be pissed if i do this and it doesn't fit easily.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually pulled the intake off before I pulled the motor. I plan on doing the reverse on the way back in. With that in mind, the clearance available with the motor in place is all that I would worry about, rather than the amount of room required to install the motor with the intake and these additional fittings in the way. I wish I could give you a better idea of the available clearance, but mine is in pieces now. It may be worthwhile for you do do the mods to the manifold, then just install plugs and do the coolong hose install later, once it's out of your mechanics scope of work.

It's easier to work on with all the stuff out of the way, but you really can't be sure of how the mod will clear the blower and other items, without them being there.

The heater hose and the OD on the factory tube both appear to be 5/8"

Herb

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
Man Herb I can't wait to see it all together and what she throughs down :cheers:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thunder Bolt said:
Man Herb I can't wait to see it all together and what she throughs down :cheers:
Nobody want to see that more than ME!! :smt040

Being without the L since February 11 t 10:53 pm really SUCKS! I am jonesing even more now that I see all the pretty parts lying around the garage. I had three runs in the 12's that night (first time in the 12s with the L), so I'm hoping to skip right to some 11's and avoid the whole mid 12 and low 12 thingy. [smilie=fingersx.gif]

Herb

1 - 20 of 21 Posts