Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather permitting, there will be half-mile racing event in Clayton, Ga on Sept 12th and 13th hosted by WannaGOFAST. The racing slots are already taken up, but spectators are only $20 per day.

I registered to run on Saturday. I've not seen a Lightning in any past events, so I'm pretty excited to see what the truck will run. My goal is to trap 150 mph at this event.

It would be nice to see some fellow enthusiasts there. I'll be staged near the Injected Engineering tent, so stop by if you get a chance and also check out some of these amazing cars that Injected built.

--Matt

http://wannagofast.com/clayton2.php

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas! Well I was up all night finishing a few things and cleaning and loading everything up. Had to make a mad dash to a fuel station 1.5 hours away to get the C16 and Methanol.

Updates will follow.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to say, these half-mile races are another animal in and of itself. Battled charge temps today and I can see them being a huge challenge in future events.

I used to bitch about test & tune at Atlanta Dragway, but it doesn't compare to what I experienced here. Staging lane (singular) is a single-file line about a 1/2 mile long that stretches lengthwise down the track between all the spectators. People walk up and comment on your car or the last pass you made. Pretty cool experience that I will happily partake in again.

My first pass was 142 mph on my 14deg street tune on 19ish psi. Ran against a vette and walked him.
Second pass was 141 mph on 16deg but it spun bad in 1st and short-shifted into second at about 4500 rpms. Ran a Camaro something and put what appeared to be two bus lengths on him.

I have a video of the second run on my phone that I will update with tomorrow.

No joke, charge temps are the real enemy here and I look forward to trying some new things to mitigate it.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Shout out to Injected Engineering for letting me stage with them and for being generous hosts

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They don't say anything about cages here. The biggest things are tires and brakes. There is maybe a half-mile of braking and then a 1300' drop-off, lol! In the rules to the event they check to make sure tires have tread, brake fluid isn't dirty, stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just two. I would have made more, but I quickly found out the limitations of my I/C system with the small Trick I/C reservoir and high flow rate of the Mezeire pump. It got ugly quick.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just curious, but aren't these trucks limited to the low 140's anyway due the tranny and 3.73 rear?
Depends how far you're comfortable winding out each gear. I was able to spin third gear to 6100 rpm and it was still pulling hard which netted me 142mph.

If you're running a 45 series 18-inch tire, 3.73s, and had all the power you could need, overdrive would top out at about 175mph at 5500 rpm.

http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts