Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got into a bind with my new truck. I purchased my Lightning from a guy who repainted over the factory compliance stickers in the door jambs. So now, I have no label at all in there.

I called Ford and they told me that they can't give me a new one because the truck I have is over 5 models ago.

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue or if someone can help me out. I need a sticker for a 1999 F-150 Lightning in Black. Anyone have any ideas on what I need to do or the route I should take to get a new one.

All of the decal reproduction sites I'm looking on require a photo of the original and I don't have one. I need the VIN Decal and also a tire pressure decal from that same year and color. If someone can help me to, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,251 Posts
Reach out to Mike/OldTimer. He should be able to get some made up.

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,703 Posts
I would make an attempt to mask off the surrounding area of the sticker and then try a chemical paint stripper. I would go SLOW. Start at the edge of the label and gently work your way into the center. You might get lucky and not destroy the label too bad. Like I said, just go slow and take your time. Take care to not screw up any of your other painted areas.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
Typically, any printed sticker will have been printed with inks that are susceptible to most solvents and strippers. If you use any form of stripper, I would go very, VERY lightly. First thing I'd try maybe is a little spot with a cotton ball and some nail polish remover. but mask it off beforehand. See what comes off. I would not let anything set up on it because instead of removing the upper layers, it'll soften everything including the label material itself. Just try some light, quick wipes and wait a day or two before doing it again. IOW, let it dry completely and re-harden before trying to get more of the paint off. You might get enough off so that you or an inspector could read it.

I might be able to help you out, but you'd need to see if you can take a photograph of the label if the printing sort of shows through even a little bit. But its a total label recreate, and the replacement will _never_ be an exact replacement as far as materials/inks. The important thing though is to have all the pertinent information on a replacement that can be scanned using the equipment most state inspection systems use including the bar code. PM me once you make some progress.

Mike

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,703 Posts
Typically, any printed sticker will have been printed with inks that are susceptible to most solvents and strippers. If you use any form of stripper, I would go very, VERY lightly. First thing I'd try maybe is a little spot with a cotton ball and some nail polish remover. but mask it off beforehand. See what comes off. I would not let anything set up on it because instead of removing the upper layers, it'll soften everything including the label material itself. Just try some light, quick wipes and wait a day or two before doing it again. IOW, let it dry completely and re-harden before trying to get more of the paint off. You might get enough off so that you or an inspector could read it.

I might be able to help you out, but you'd need to see if you can take a photograph of the label if the printing sort of shows through even a little bit. But its a total label recreate, and the replacement will _never_ be an exact replacement as far as materials/inks. The important thing though is to have all the pertinent information on a replacement that can be scanned using the equipment most state inspection systems use including the bar code. PM me once you make some progress.

Mike
Yes, my thoughts on how to do it are pretty much just like Mike has said. This will take time and caution to remove the paint. Just go at it very carefully.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I removed mine on a day of stupidity - I check and check and there does NOT seem to be a way to recover/ get a new sticker. However the old VIN seems to work just fine for Cops, Emissions and so forth.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dug a little deeper and went on shopfordgear.com and went to the "build sheet section." I wound up purchasing the spec sheets and emission sheets so that in the event that I need to get it smogged, I at least have something certified by ford. The DMV in California says that if the sticker is missing, that will suffice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts