Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
paranoid
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just put a 5# lower pulley on my L and now whenever i am stoppedi feel and hear a vibration. but if i put the truck in neutral the sound and vibrations go away.. i dont have detination... i was just wondering if maybe since the pulley bolts to the harmonic balancer maybe if the pulley bolts are coming loose if that might be the problem..

any advice would be greatly appreciated..

:sad:

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Kid

You said "MAYBE IF THE PULLEY BOLTS ARE COMING LOSE"
Do you see a wobble when it's running ??
If you do DEF jack it up tomorrow, and CHECK THOSE BOLTS.
Check obvious stuff like universal joints, driveshaft, etc.

Please keep us informed

·
paranoid
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i contacted jlp and he said that all is fine it is just cavatation air coming from the blower at low idle.. but i still see the pulley wobble like the back piece is out of square or not true...

the bolts felt like they were all tight.. i got under there when it was running and i listend to it and it sounded more or less like the converter (catalytic) had a piece loose inside it.. which make sense since i only hear it when the truck gets warmed up. and i am driving it down the road.. but it shifts fine and all that...

i appreciate everything

·
Registered
207 Posts
If the pulley does not appear to be turning true, it may be worth removings and checking further. The pulley mounting face sits against the balancer inner face - it could be possible to have dirt of debris between the two, holding the pulley out slightly on one side. I would pull it and be sure the mating faces are clean. Also, run it with the blower belt and pulley removed - is the runout still present? if the balance does not turn true, nothing bolted to it will.

I have the same convertor area rattle in mine. I usually notice it in a drivethrough as there is a sounding wall, my window is down, and I am idling. The sound on mine is similar toa heat sheild rattling. I am also suspicious of the cats (I run magna-flows) after reading of several failure. I am definately going to hang around to hear opinion on that side of it. BTW - I am also running a JLP 5#.

Good Luck,
Herb

·
paranoid
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i run factory convertors no high flows..

i am going to check it out tonight.

i will keep you posted i have a magna flow muffler that is it

·
paranoid
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i talked to johnny. he said that he has seen that happen before and he told me that the pulleys are cnc machined to have a .005 or .05 tolerance on them... so i guess it is supposed to wobble. all i know is that i can visually see the pulley wobble. like it was bent.. ( you know how a tire wobbles on a bike if it is not straight). but also told me that the cavatation is apart of the game.... so i am still going to pull the pulley off and check things out. i will keep you posted... :-?

·
paranoid
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tonight, i checked the bolts to see if they backed out a little. and all was tight. so i took the pulley off and wiped the back of it off. to see if i had any dirt behind it. (clean), so i put everything back on and just put the belt back on and then re-tightened the bolts until they were real tight, and started the truck again and you can still see alittle bit of wobbling but i guess that is normal.. i dont know,

thanks to everyone who helped me out

rob02 and herb101

·
Registered
207 Posts
No sweat :D

That what we're all here to do! [smilie=ughug.gif]

I'd say, keep an eye on it and watch for any odd wear at the belt edges. If the runout is not excessive, the length of belt between pulleys can absorb some misalignment.

I'd say you definately did the right thing by double-checking. Sure beats guessing, wondering and worrying.

Glad to hear nothing major was wrong

Herb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts