Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so recently I installed a bell tech 2-4 drop on my L. I made sure i installed everything properly but i could be wrong. Anyways, in some cases when im at a full stop and i start to accelerate a tiny bit more than the “safe spot”, as i like to call it, i feel a vibration/stutter in the rear. I call it the safe spot because if i accelerate slowly from zero it gets moving smoothly. but if there is a situation where i have to accelerate a tiny bit faster the trucks rear area shudders. I’m thinking it could be the diff gears slipping???? i’m not too knowledgeable on drivetrains, since most issues i’ve ever encountered in any car ended up being in the engine. cruising all the way up to 80 is perfect, 90 started to shake a little but i think it’s because of bad alignment. please let me know some things i could check

·
Slevin
1,081 Posts
yeah, pinion angle, potential out of balance wheels and wheel spacers that are not hub centric if you have them all can cause this kind of issue.
if it only started after lowering, its pinion angle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, pinion angle, potential out of balance wheels and wheel spacers that are not hub centric if you have them all can cause this kind of issue.
if it only started after lowering, its pinion angle
i only noticed it after lowering so it might be pinion angle because i don’t have any spacers at all. is there a fix to that?

·
Slevin
1,081 Posts
pinion angle fix requires measuring and calculating what shims you will need to place under the leaf spring, but on top of the axle.
you may be able to flip the existing ones around if you have them, but youll need to measure to see if thats the case

search for measuring pinion angle, iirc these trucks like -2 degrees (or that was with traction bars)

Reactions: Boss Hoss

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pinion angle fix requires measuring and calculating what shims you will need to place under the leaf spring, but on top of the axle.
you may be able to flip the existing ones around if you have them, but youll need to measure to see if thats the case

search for measuring pinion angle, iirc these trucks like -2 degrees (or that was with traction bars)
the beltech kit i believe came with the shims. i never installed them because i didn’t know what it was for lol but i’ll definitely be installing it now if it’s that

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,476 Posts
You can see in this video the pinion angle goes above the driveline angle. This is what causes the vibration.
The lower you make you truck.. it will raise the nose of the pinion. Adding some pinion shins will bring the nose back down.
You will need a angle finder to measure your truck.
Hope this helps..
Use your favorite search for how to measure pinion angle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts