Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was sitting here reading through old posts, looking at how the site has grown so much in so little time, and just couldn't believe it. And as I was going back through the old threads, I noticed all the welcome threads to new people supporting the site. And I really wanted to put across to them how much I appreciate their support.

I seriously thought about what it meant, these guys hopping on to LR and helping out, supporting the site. It was a risky call - could be money down the drain for them. But you know what, they're here. These guys are more then websites and businesses to buy parts from - these are valuable, giving members to the Lightning community. They make the community stronger each day just by being around and doing what they do. They saw the Lightning community coming together to do something (this website), and so they came to lend what support they could. These are all genuinely fine folks who deserve, in my eyes, a hand. You guys all work hard collecting our cash ( :D - mostly kidding), but you don't often get enough respect or acknowledgement for how strong you make this group of performance enthusiasts. We, as Lightning owners, are so lucky to have each and every one of you.

Thank you, vendors. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And for example, since I JUST saw this post on F150online.com. I'm sure most of you have seen this, but THIS is what I'm talking about.

Quoted from Gregg Evans:

The Street Converter stalls somewhere around 2400-2600 (stall speed is more a range than a number).

I'll also let out a little secret about the street converter.

When I first started building them, they were a modified stock converter, we changed the reactor to raise the stall and used the higher stall 135K impeller. It was cheap, which was the intention of the part, I never in the beginning wanted to build a big expensive converter, because I didn't think there was much market for it, I though more people wanted something a little higher stall for daily drivers on a budget.

A bit later, I did decide to build a very good converter, damn the cost. What we came up with was the Total Domination Race Converter, which I honestly believe is the best converter built for a Lightning, really.

The problem I now had was I felt really guilty about the street converter. In all honesty, it doesn't fit me. I have a reputation for being pretty expensive and worth the extra change and I didn't feel right about making something I knew was inferior just to get the budget market, buit I really didn't want to disappoint the people who didn't want to drop a grand on a converter, either, so Alan and I started noodling around with some stuff, really working on the 4R70 more than the 4R100, and one day when we were building a street converter I basically told him "screw it, build a Total Dom without the billet converter".

This was a problem, it costs us more to build the street converter than we charge wholesale, and just about exactly what the retail cost was at that time. My rationale for it was, and continues to be, I'd rather sell something at break even and have it a good part, that people are really happy with and I'm not ashamed to have my name on, than sell a cheap part and make a few bucks. I convnced Alan that it was worth the effort just to have a good part with the name on it out there, even if we didn't make anything, as long as we made break even. So we raised the price enough to do that, and for all practicle purposes, the street converter is a Total Dom with a stock stamped coverplate, and has been for some time. The coverplate is worth the extra $$$ if you're getting a little radical, or if you have NOS it's a must, but for the money, the street is a heck of a buy, because honest engine, you're getting it darn near my cost and it's really a much more expensive converter than it sells for.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
:smt023 @ Toms Post

and :smt023 :smt023 @ Denny, Terry, Sal, Tim, JJ, Charles, and Gregg
Race Tested, SFPH, PSP, Chickenears, Woodbine, Magnum Powers, + Factory Tech, 
DID take a chance, and I pray everyday it's paying off for them [smilie=fingersx.gif]
FYI, Only our Vendors get my money when I need something.

LR may not be moving as fast as some of the Big L sites "YET",
BUT
People are still joining daily, the post are moving along well, and just this morning I was going through my L Forum Favorites and I delted at least 6 Forums THAT NEVER EVEN MADE IT AS FAR AS ""WE HAVE"". AMOF they didn't make it period, THEY DON'T EXIST ANYMORE,
BUT WE DO, AND WE'RE HERE TO STAY, Thanks to each and every Member and Vendor  [smilie=bow.gif]

BTW
Chris is talking with a couple of other unique Vendors as we speak that would really fit in well here :D (and not as competition with any of our other Brothers and Vendors) :smt109

I wont go on forever, BUT
not to mention we have not had one member banned, not one post deleted due to bashing, and as for Vendor bashing, "NOT HERE", there is no reason to bash a Vendor here,
CAUSE WE HAVE THE BEST..............

And the Best Moderator / Admin on the Net [smilie=wavey.gif]
AND LEEANN
AND ALL OF YOU
:cheers:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the appreciation.

I have seen many posts by Gregg Evans and he seems like a stand up guy. I have also spoken with Charles of MP and Sal of PSP to know they are stand up guys also. I would assume most of us as vendors do take a risk at the beginning, but I also believe if you have a good product along with customer service we all do alright in the end. A small profit can be justified if you are turning over 1,000's of units one day. It's the starting out with being unknown and a lot of money invested that is stressful. LOL

Chris was gentle with us also. I have blown more on various air intakes in the past year. :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just my .02...
Duende,you made an awesome post!
Lightning Rodder is a great site with great people,growing more and more and I'm glad I found it!!!
We are blessed to have the supporting vendors that we do....they answer our questions,give advice and point us
out in the right direction when were lost....I can't wait to do business with them as soon as I get the $$$!!!
I just want to say the Lightning community hands down is the best. 99.9% of the time
everyone is helpful,knowledgable and I think it's awesome!!!!
ok,one last thing and i'll shut up...THIS SITE is one of the greatest,yeah it might not be "one of the big ones yet" but no banned members,no deleted posts,and no bashing of members and/or vendors....That's got to say something!
Lightning rodder will get there..... :cheers:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Stuck,
I agree that this site is one of the refreshing ones to come to. I'm way past tired of seeing forums with people disrespecting each other and childish behavior.

·
Registered
541 Posts
racetested said:
Stuck,
I agree that this site is one of the refreshing ones to come to. I'm way past tired of seeing forums with people disrespecting each other and childish behavior.
I agree with you 100% Denny.
Why some people feel the need to act like that is beyond me...
We all need some help,advice,knowledge,etc.
:cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have only been on this site a short while but have definatly noticed everyone responds in a very civil manner.Very good how to section....

·
Registered
426 Posts
You can tell where the good guys are these days. [smilie=ughug.gif]

Rich

·
Registered
270 Posts
scottraceteam said:
I have only been on this site a short while but have definatly noticed everyone responds in a very civil manner.Very good how to section....
hey was your truck in daytona in november for the turkey rod run? i thought i saw it one night in bel air plaza by la playa.

and yes this is an awesome site i dont even go to svtperformance anymore because most of the people there just bash each other when u ask for example what part is better like comparing 2 parts every1 starts a big argument. the only good section there is the pics and video buffet. thanks to all the vendors and all the people who work hard to keep this site up and running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts