Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know ive seen posts before about this, but its been awhile. whats the difference between upgrading from a 4# lower to a 6# lower, as opposed to just adding like a 2.80 upper? is it more torque or something? or is it just the factor you can try and convince people your not pullied? lol

·
Registered
391 Posts
having a 4lb lower and a smaller upper is just like having a 6lb lower, the downside to changing upper pulley is you have to worry about belt slippage more but the upside is its alot easier to change the upper pulley, but the most you can get out of changing an upper pulley (assuming you still have the Eaton) is only about 2lbs, maybe a little bit more depending on the truck and mods but usually about 2lbs is it.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I would change out the lower for a number of reasons. Less belt slippage, easier to change the lower.

·
Registered
391 Posts
^^^double post...but you could keep your 4lb and buy quick change uppers so u could switch back to 4lbs instead of 6 all the time, so less wear on motor, just put the smaller upper on when your planning to go to track or race someone.

·
Registered
391 Posts
triple lol...and depending on where you live during the winter when it gets really cold your risking your stock motor running 6lb pulley all the time if it drops to freezing or close where you live

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,399 Posts
Just about anyone can sneak a look under your hood and see if the stock caged pulley is on there. JDM caged pulleys are one way to semi-fake this, but they look nothing like a stocker. Whatever you do, it makes sense to use the quick-change approach for upper or lower pulleys. And if you use a smaller upper, you should at least get 100mm idlers, and better yet would be to get an aftermarket auxilary idler bracket like Metco or MP to give the upper more wrap and less chance of slippage.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i already have a LFP quick change lower, and before i get it retuned right id like to just step up for 6# and be a bit happier, then stick with a 4# and wonder. Cause the races ive ran so far havent been anything spectacular, and im just barely winning. I have access to a idler puller setup, and possibly a throttlebody, so just figured id go all the way and get it over with.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,542 Posts
the smallest I'd go with the upper is a 2.80 unless you have a magnum powers idler bracket with a 100mm pulley up top and on the drivers side

1 - 11 of 11 Posts