Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been laying under the truck quite a bit lately and am contemplating what it would take to create a carbon fiber underbelly for the truck. Every modern sports car utilizes them to reduce turbulence and an integrated rear diffuser with strakes (bumper mod or delete required) helps downforce and guides the rear of the vehicle straight at high speeds.

I have never even attempted creating a CF part, let alone something that would be this complex. Does anyone know of a shop or member that may be interested in working on a design?

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,118 Posts
I assume this would mostly be for looks only. Since everything forward of the axle is a big mess, just smoothing the air behind the axle is kind of worthless. Plus you'd have to have some way for air that goes overtop the axle to excape, so it does not get trapped in a pocket on top of said diffuser.

Still sounds interesting. I'd buy one for the looks only, depending on what it looks like. But, if I have to get rid of my bumper, it's not going to happen.

·
Administrator
18,571 Posts
I have long considered modifying my roll pan to vent trapped air. Or rigging a diverter to keep air from building up back there. Seems like it must act like a parachute at high speeds.

Full pan I have never considered.

Jim

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I need another hobby, so I'm going to work on a form and see if I can get a workable underbody built. Going to take my sweet time but I'll post up if I have anything interesting to update folks with :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Even one under the engine would be a start. Make it into like 4-5 overlapping sections from bumper to bumper that it can be shipped like a hood.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would also be interested in something like this.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume this would mostly be for looks only. Since everything forward of the axle is a big mess, just smoothing the air behind the axle is kind of worthless. Plus you'd have to have some way for air that goes overtop the axle to excape, so it does not get trapped in a pocket on top of said diffuser.

Still sounds interesting. I'd buy one for the looks only, depending on what it looks like. But, if I have to get rid of my bumper, it's not going to happen.
The idea would be to fit the entire underbelly of the truck. Obviously it won't be completely flat, but working around some minor protrusions would still greatly reduce underbody turbulence. I have some other ideas I plan to post up as well, when I get further "down the road" with this project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts