Lightning Rodder banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,203 Posts
I was told to come back with a NHRA chassis certification sticker, SFI clothing and SA2010 or better full face helmet.
This winter I'm going to fab a belly pan, since nobody make an engine containment device (diaper).

·
11 second street truck
10,780 Posts
I ran numbers way lower than it was legal to do without safety equipment. Years went by and only once was I told to shut it down. That was OK with me. I already ran my 9.93 run that day. I always figured I had at least one run out the back to achieve my goals. So I made sure the launch felt right and stayed in it on a good pass. Loved when tracks displayed 60 time on board rather than reaction time.

Roll bars and street driving are a weird mix. Safe where? I thought bars on the street were way more dangerous than no bar on track.

Jim
Agreed a cage on the street is dangerous. That's when you decide do I want to run times without being hassled or drive on the street safely?

·
Premium Member
5,152 Posts
I was told to come back with a NHRA chassis certification sticker, SFI clothing and SA2010 or better full face helmet.
This winter I'm going to fab a belly pan, since nobody make an engine containment device (diaper).
I have a DJ safety diaper for a small block Ford that fits pretty good

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
October 30th is Spookfest, be nice to see the fastest 2.3 whipple truck there!

I Think Uncle Frank would be the fastest 2.3 whipple there, I believe Uncle Frank and his Silver Lightning is still capable of more records.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Most 9 second trucks never see street duty. Sure maybe a drive to the local car show or to get ice cream but in reality they wont be used in a manner which would make having a rollbar/cage dangerous, plus if you get to the point your running 9's your using some lightweight parts that already make it less then street safe/worthy.

IMHO if your going to run in the 9's you need at least a 6pt, diaper, 5pt harness and external shut off, anything less and your not only taking chances with your safety but your also taking a chance at ruining it for the other guys who are tryingt to break into or are already running in the 10's without those items. One accident, one injury or God forbid one death and you have single handedly ruined it for everyone else racing their vehicles. If a track knowingly allows a vehicle to run those times and mph without the required equipment they are to blame as well but if you keep "sneaking by" you are soley to blame.

This is happening in the Mustang world on a daily basis. Take an 18+ GT and put a Whipple on it and a few other items and your in the 9's easy, a few more mods and it will run 8's and thats on the totally stock longblock. Very few of those guys have anything other then a helmet and again its only a matter of time before someone gets killed before they crack down on them. I have a customer who runs mid 9's and he refuses to cage the vehicle but guess what? He is running out of tracks to run his car on because they either know him or he is one and done and honestly whats the point of either?

JJ

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I was not bothered too much running 9.8's and 9.9's with my 6 point but different story now, can't believe i'm in the 9.5's!! That's a perfect day but she is running 9.6's - 9.7's all day in any kind of cooler whether. Atco shut me down last year at an event and almost went to the principals office at SF last year. :rolleyes:

I drive my truck as far as the shore and back and car shows 20 to 30 miles during the summer non race months. What is with the 6 point not being safe of the street?

·
11 second street truck
10,780 Posts
I was not bothered too much running 9.8's and 9.9's with my 6 point but different story now, can't believe i'm in the 9.5's!! That's a perfect day but she is running 9.6's - 9.7's all day in any kind of cooler whether. Atco shut me down last year at an event and almost went to the principals office at SF last year. :rolleyes:

I drive my truck as far as the shore and back and car shows 20 to 30 miles during the summer non race months. What is with the 6 point not being safe of the street?
A 6 point is generally fine. It's when you get the hoop on the roof and cam smack your head on it.

Girl recently got t-boned at 25 mph in her caged car. She hit her head and died.

·
Administrator
18,403 Posts
We don't usually secure race belts or wear helmets on the street. It is a very bad thing to hit a bar with your head...

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I am still confused about the street roll cage and/or 6 point thing? Not sure how you guys have your bars installed but if I have my seatbelt on while driving on the street, whether I have a 6 point or a 10 point certified "cage", there is no way I am hitting any bar with my head. I am only 5ft 8inches tall but maybe someone over 6ft would hit their head on the left bar on a 10 point. No way in hell you are hitting the windshield bar or A pillar unless you were stupid enough not to wear a seatbelt. Just curious cuz I drive my truck on the street quite often.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I am still confused about the street roll cage and/or 6 point thing? Not sure how you guys have your bars installed but if I have my seatbelt on while driving on the street, whether I have a 6 point or a 10 point certified "cage", there is no way I am hitting any bar with my head. I am only 5ft 8inches tall but maybe someone over 6ft would hit their head on the left bar on a 10 point. No way in hell you are hitting the windshield bar or A pillar unless you were stupid enough not to wear a seatbelt. Just curious cuz I drive my truck on the street quite often.
That's exactly it...at 6'4" that left bar becomes the issue and I'd prefer my head not smack it as I'm guessing that DOM tubing is far less forgiving than my skull.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts