Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought uf was going for another record? I just found his truck on flea Bay. UF whats going on?

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,203 Posts
It's a sad day....

·
local painter
3,020 Posts
Seriously!!! Nooooo

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,482 Posts
Guess he decided to get out of L's all together since he stopped coming here. Sad for sure. But, he's also pretty old, he may have health issues now? Hope not.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have spoken to UF today. Not putting words in his mouth, he loves lightnings a lot, but with his local track (Atco) closing at the end of the year to him it was the best decision.

·
Administrator
18,403 Posts
It is sad to see. But it is a consideration I am going to have once Atco is gone. Lebenon Valley(which sucks) and Island in Jersey would be the only two tracks for all lower NY/NJ/CT/Penn to go to. It would be overcrowded for sure. Not sure if I will sell my junk at that time too.

Jim

·
AntiSocial
21 BMW M550i xDrive, 18 Chevy Equinox LT 2.0T
851 Posts
It is sad to see. But it is a consideration I am going to have once Atco is gone. Lebenon Valley(which sucks) and Island in Jersey would be the only two tracks for all lower NY/NJ/CT/Penn to go to. It would be overcrowded for sure. Not sure if I will sell my junk at that time too.

Jim
What about Englishtown? Thats where I used to go when I lived in NYC after they closed LI Dragway.

·
AntiSocial
21 BMW M550i xDrive, 18 Chevy Equinox LT 2.0T
851 Posts
Really? Shit. So 2 years ago I moved to FL and they closed. Had to be the neighbors complaining about the noise, cause they were always busy.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The same company that bought Englishtown is supposedly trying to buy Atco. Apparently all they need is the Pineland Commission’s approval which is our only chance of it staying a track.

Englishtown shut down drag racing January 17, 2018

·
Premium Member
5,152 Posts
Spoke to Frank yesterday .... I’m sorry to see him go ...We seem to be losing a lot of Racers lately

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Very Sad indeed I am getting old myself, But i am still hanging on to my Lightning A lot of race tracks have closed every where The are making cars and trucks now off of the assembly line that with high Horsepower engines at a cost. But i have and still enjoy every minute of my Lightning.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I will be starting a new movement. Uncle Frank Movement. Keep the truck. The whole Nation will be protesting until Frank decides to keep the truck.

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,880 Posts
I know Franks truck is one of a kind but 37 grand is a lot of money hope he gets it and sorry to see him go

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,550 Posts
I'll get flack for this, but folks know I don't care lol

Said it many times, I've seen so many folks come and go over the years, I can read most of 'em like a book. Frank isn't the first one to come, run impressive times, do good things for the community, then disappear, and he won't be the last either. Sure sucks to see them come and go, but it's been that way for 20+ years now in this community alone.

I'd say sucks to see Frank selling, but honestly the fun around Frank burnt out a couple years ago when he burnt his bridges with quite a few of the local guys. Didn't have to be that way, as many of us still have good times even thought he L scene isn't what it was years ago.

IMO, the real reason isn't Atco is closing or he doesnt want to cage it. He's been sub-cage territory for YEARS now, and the tracks have all been the same for YEARS now. An occasional slap on the wrist, yet go back out and still crack off more passes the next time. That ain't it. And yes Atco is rumored to close at the end of the year, I hope the pinelands commission doesn't let that sale go thru, but atco is still open THIS YEAR, and not closed yet. Frank used to run there all the time. They're open right now, heck I've been twice this year in my Tesla. I could partially see a reason for selling if they were already closed and nowhere to race, but they're OPEN and holding rentals and events right now. Also Frank came to Cecil all the time too. Sure it's further, but not like he refused to go that far, he'd be at every cecil event just like every atco event.

My read on this....Frank thrived off the attention, and got much deserved attention from reaching impressive E/Ts and records on several trucks. And certainly credit was given as it was certainly due. But eventually secretariat fell off it's mark and Frank spent thousands and didn't get the same wonder back and retired it. Silver Assassin continued the record blazing for a while, but then like any combo, eventually peaks out, and Frank only knew being center of attention, even though his records were just one of many records out there which he gave zero respect for yet expected a kiss-the-ring mentality for his. Franks mouth/keyboard didn't peak out though like his truck did, and how many threads in the past 2 years have we seen on new promised records and 8's for it to take the planets to align and still just run what it had? Again still super impressive, but Franks truck wasn't cashing the checks his mouth/keyboard were writing, which he thrived from that attention. Also seeing Marty leapfrog his whipple E/T with a 9.50 clean pass, then next pass let up the ghost with no indication, I think Frank was too scared he'd potentially hurt something on his truck turned to facking mars with 19 deg & 27 lbs lol because at that level, I don't care what folks say, it's not going to go forever with things turned to that level every time. So before he had to eat crow on yet another year of not beating his record, or eat crow on hurting the truck when he'd constantly rub it in the face of others who ever ran into a gremlin, he is just throwing in the towel. His cheer leader squad at the local track slowly shrank over the years as he'd burn his own bridges by either being arrogant to those who once were close to him, or by blaming folks there to help him as the reason he didn't crack a new best. More than 1 person have come out saying "yo wtf I helped line frank up and all he did was come around and curse me out blaming me that his truck spun or didn't get a new record 60....wtf is that"....sure wouldn't be his stubborness to always use the same combo same launch same settings regardless of track conditions, it was definitely the person helping him get into the groove's fault lol <rolleyes>. It was sad to see, I enjoyed the years with a huge lightning family in the pits, but saw it myself at the last event last year, a smaller cluster of L folks there, and Frank off on his own way out pitted solo because every single person there he had burnt a bridge with by being arrogant and disrespectful yet hating on those folks for not bowing down to him. Folks can hate me for posting that just because he's a "nice old guy". I'll get just as many texts and messages on the side from folks that don't want to air it out there going "dude, fact" lol. He absolutely was a super nice generous guy....for a while, then he expected different treatment than what he gave others, and that doesn't fly too well lol.

Also, I find this extremely ironic....From the ebay article

This truck has over $70,000 invested into it and would cost twice as much to build than it would to buy as is!

So 1, Frank always touted how he doesn't want to do a 2.9 or 4v or any crazy build, because he likes to show the guy without a lot of money that he too can run impressive times with a basic build and a 2.3 whipple.....70k into mods?! That's nowhere near a "regular build for the regular joe" lol
And 2, Frank always touted how he never hurt the truck, and has never had to do the motor, or never hurt a thing on it....and 70k spent?! I know it's a GT block, but even still, counting the full retail cost + labor for a 2v GT block with 2V PI heads, fuel system, all that, is a 20k build...maybe 30k with JDM. So either that truck has had more motors/repairs thru it than anyone knew about, or those were some expensive tuning sessions and oil changes to get to a 70k build on a truck that's claimed as never been hurt lol. I've been thru multiple transmissions and motors and I'm probably at that 70k mark lol. If you're at 70k into a sole 2v/motor/trans/2.3 build, holy profit margin or there were some covert repairs done to get to a bill that hefty lol

Truck is being sold as is, basically a full race vehicle. If you want to register this truck for street use it would require additional work and tuning.

What happened to, "that truck isn't a race truck at all! It even has a touch screen head unit!" Now it's "basically a full race vehicle" that can't even be registered for the street? lol Funny how things are on one end of a spectrum to make a record sound more impressive, then take a 180 to make the sale ad sound more impressive lol. I'm sure folks will be tap dancing around this soon haha

This will be interesting if/when it sells. I'm sure JDM won't leave it turned to the moon for the sale, so when the next owner goes out and doesn't run 9.5's it'll be "well Frank was just that great of a driver!" vs "yeah that combo was peaked out" lol. Because if they did leave it turned to mars and it popped, that'd look pretty crummy.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts