Lightning Rodder banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Takes some serious bite to deform the perch like that. Do using fiberglass springs cause the problem?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,299 Posts
if the center pin goes through the perch, it's good. You don't need it to all the way to the axle tube.
That picture I used was from Blowersluts truck. The upper silver piece is part of the pin, I don't know what the lower piece is..

Marty

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
if the center pin goes through the perch, it's good. You don't need it to all the way to the axle tube.
That picture I used was from Blowersluts truck. The upper silver piece is part of the pin, I don't know what the lower piece is..

Marty
Ok. Thank ya Marty. Just checking. With the Belltech hangers JLP shackles and the 6° Belltech shim my pinion angle is at 0°
Figured going with a 8 or 9° shim would get it to -2°
Thicker shim and all but maybe letting the axle float some wouldn't be too bad. Long bars should keep it in place....

Be like a floating leaf spring. Lol

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
They may. But they are supported by a rigid torque arm setup. Long bars make the springs almost irrelevant.

Still will pay attention to what JDM does. I have a similar setup myself.

Jim
There is a tremendous amount of stress in this area. Without a physical connection or stop tab, the axle wants to rotate and cause a positive pinion angle. It's merely friction holding the axle to the spring at that point. Franks truck leaves very violent and sticky slicks and a well prepped track does not allow for tire slip putting all the force tire and suspension. This happened once before when Frank took a bunch of weight out of the rear of the truck and it changed the pinion angle. Correcting the pinion angle solved the issue immediately. This time he crushed the front side of the axle spring perch! I thought it might be the track since I came out sideways on my 1st pass but after it happened to Frank on the 2nd pass a quick look under the truck showed the driveshaft pointing up!!

I had 60ft issues when I switched to Stifflers long bars. I actually bent the bracket and also the stock top axle plate trying to tighten it enough. So Stiffler switched to a heavier bracket and I used a WFO top plate. (Pic). Even then I was rotating the axle so I had to install 2 "STOP" tabs on my axle (Pic). After that 1.3x consistent 60 foot times!!! Also most guys have to use a 2 or 4 deg shim in this area to keep the pinion angle in check. The ideal position of the angle should be about 2 deg negative (Down).

IMG_20201105_164949.jpg
IMAG0542.jpg
IMG_20201105_164949.jpg

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Good day otherwise, ran consistent 9.69 to 9.72 passes all day in positive DA except my 1st pass. I had something going on with the rear during the burnout and my truck launched violently to the left and truck never really settled down until I aborted at half track!!:oops: . This thing with me having numbers on my timeslips at every outing that are identical to the thousandth decimal freaks me out though. (2) .194 horrible reaction times!!! and I also ran a 9.710 which was identical to the pass when I first broke the KB record!!

Hope to get in 1 more outing with some better air before the weather sets in? Great to be making passes after 1 whole year of not racing. Even had a nice mice nest fall out of the truck when I first started it a few weeks ago!! :oops::D
IMG_20201104_150128.jpg
MVIMG_20201104_161602.jpg
IMG_20201104_224020 (1).jpg

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There is a tremendous amount of stress in this area. Without a physical connection or stop tab, the axle wants to rotate and cause a positive pinion angle. It's merely friction holding the axle to the spring at that point. Franks truck leaves very violent and sticky slicks and a well prepped track does not allow for tire slip putting all the force tire and suspension. This happened once before when Frank took a bunch of weight out of the rear of the truck and it changed the pinion angle. Correcting the pinion angle solved the issue immediately. This time he crushed the front side of the axle spring perch! I thought it might be the track since I came out sideways on my 1st pass but after it happened to Frank on the 2nd pass a quick look under the truck showed the driveshaft pointing up!!

I had 60ft issues when I switched to Stifflers long bars. I actually bent the bracket and also the stock top axle plate trying to tighten it enough. So Stiffler switched to a heavier bracket and I used a WFO top plate. (Pic). Even then I was rotating the axle so I had to install 2 "STOP" tabs on my axle (Pic). After that 1.3x consistent 60 foot times!!! Also most guys have to use a 2 or 4 deg shim in this area to keep the pinion angle in check. The ideal position of the angle should be about 2 deg negative (Down).

View attachment 541495 View attachment 541497 View attachment 541495
Did you show UF your truck I’m been telling him about the rotating the axle and needs a stop like you have

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Good day otherwise, ran consistent 9.69 to 9.72 passes all day in positive DA except my 1st pass. I had something going on with the rear during the burnout and my truck launched violently to the left and truck never really settled down until I aborted at half track!!:oops: . This thing with me having numbers on my timeslips at every outing that are identical to the thousandth decimal freaks me out though. (2) .194 horrible reaction times!!! and I also ran a 9.710 which was identical to the pass when I first broke the KB record!!

Hope to get in 1 more outing with some better air before the weather sets in? Great to be making passes after 1 whole year of not racing. Even had a nice mice nest fall out of the truck when I first started it a few weeks ago!! :oops::D View attachment 541499 View attachment 541500 View attachment 541501
Trucks running strong and consistent Dude and looking good doing it. I need franks TB so we can have twins lol

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Do it bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't let that truck leave the east coast.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,630 Posts
Nice times Dude! Little 2.6 KB still laying it down!

Frank still using that $0.99 cent tire pressure gauge? Couple years ago at JLP Cecil event Frank had the same thing. He was spinning while folks were pulling 1.3's and dragging the bumper. He tried blaming track prep till we pointed out what everyone else was doing, then he blamed pinion angle, and Carmelo and I said check that tire pressure. Watched his pass and saw him rolling over the tire from too low a pressure. Carmelo added 2 PSI to his tires for him and convinced him to try 1 more time, even tho he swore up and down it had to go to JDM again for pinon angle issues. Then he went back out for one more pass and ran a stellar time again. Of course he denied it was the 2psi added to the tires because he's infallible, but it was pretty obvious. In addition to his 2.3 record he holds the record for # of pinion angle adjustments lol.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Looks like UF is back up and running to make some more passes this year. I guess after making over (72) 9 sec passes and 1.3 60's, his rear suspension said no mas! He even crushed the long bar bushings. My guess is he should dip into the 1.30x 60ft, just sayin!! ;) :rolleyes:

·
JDM ENGINEERING
1,893 Posts
Nice times Dude! Little 2.6 KB still laying it down!

Frank still using that $0.99 cent tire pressure gauge? Couple years ago at JLP Cecil event Frank had the same thing. He was spinning while folks were pulling 1.3's and dragging the bumper. He tried blaming track prep till we pointed out what everyone else was doing, then he blamed pinion angle, and Carmelo and I said check that tire pressure. Watched his pass and saw him rolling over the tire from too low a pressure. Carmelo added 2 PSI to his tires for him and convinced him to try 1 more time, even tho he swore up and down it had to go to JDM again for pinon angle issues. Then he went back out for one more pass and ran a stellar time again. Of course he denied it was the 2psi added to the tires because he's infallible, but it was pretty obvious. In addition to his 2.3 record he holds the record for # of pinion angle adjustments lol.
Franks truck had JLP traction bars and all that JDM torque bent the shit out of the brackets and u-bolts. He also had a trans mount bracket installed that changed the pinion angle a bit. The rear suspension was out of whack but don't worry your little heart, Frank will be out at the track again. Frank's made hundreds of passes in the past 4 years you've been down. Did that ext cab f-150 turd set any times yet or are you still working on your gremlins? Frank has 72 9 second passes, add all you and your boys 9 sec slips up and it doesn't come to half that.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Looks like UF is back up and running to make some more passes this year. I guess after making over (72) 9 sec passes and 1.3 60's, his rear suspension said no mas! He even crushed the long bar bushings. My guess is he should dip into the 1.30x 60ft, just sayin!! ;) :rolleyes:
UF going to a rental November 23 let’s hope for some cool air

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,630 Posts
lol, of course it was anything but the driver or tire pressure!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts