Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a few pic of my current twin turbo build. More pics and details to come...

• Gibtec Pistons +.002"
  • Molnar power adder rods
  • Custom spec turbo cams
  • Ported TFS heads with oversize Ferrea valves
  • CG Fab 321 stainless headers w/jethot
  • Twin 67/66 precision turbos
  • Treadstone air to air heat exchanger
  • Custom upper intake, modified lower
  • Reworked front coolant crossover for larger navigator alternator

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few more

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Looking great!
Dumb question, is the header picture misleading or will it be close to the wheel/tire? I know you changed your axles to accept different lug pattern, but I wasn’t sure how wide you were in the front or the exact offset difference in the front.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking great!
Dumb question, is the header picture misleading or will it be close to the wheel/tire? I know you changed your axles to accept different lug pattern, but I wasn’t sure how wide you were in the front or the exact offset difference in the front.
Picture is misleading. Tons of room

Reactions: B4Thunder03

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
165 Posts
I did not know someone makes headers to do this but I've seen the treadstone manifolds before

was there a reason to go with headers ?
- and I hope you have some means of supporting the weight of the turbos

.. the part of my brain that likes knowing how things fit together would really like to see that

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not know someone makes headers to do this but I've seen the treadstone manifolds before

was there a reason to go with headers ?
- and I hope you have some means of supporting the weight of the turbos

.. the part of my brain that likes knowing how things fit together would really like to see that
Treadstone manifolds have long been discontinued

·
Registered
731 Posts
Curious about the specs on the pistons? Went with a set of zero deck diamonds myself, although mine will be for a 4 valve, should be right around 9.5:1

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Curious about the specs on the pistons? Went with a set of zero deck diamonds myself, although mine will be for a 4 valve, should be right around 9.5:1

View attachment 544112
Gibtec
+.002"
.160" skirt thickness
.260" thick crown
Top ring .300" down
Compression distance 1.220"
11.5cc dish
9.5:1 with my tfs heads
Line2line skirt coatings

1.5/1.5/3.0 total seal ap with Napier 2nd

Reactions: cb1

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Sir,
Like your selection of rods Matt. Never thought I would see the day you going turbo tho....heh-heh-heh

Keith

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sir,
Like your selection of rods Matt. Never thought I would see the day you going turbo tho....heh-heh-heh

Keith
I blame my brother 100%

He has an 05 Mustang and has had two different vortec superchargers on a 5.4 4v, 4.0 Whipple stroker 5.0 block, and now a twin turbo 5.4

Honestly I feel it will be much better suited for the street. There is less complexity by going a2a, removing my a/c chiller setup, removing my second alternator, and not chasing/battling iat2 numbers at 25# boost. I'm ready to just enjoy the truck.

The rods were a tough choice but ultimately went away from the norm (Manley I-beam, etc). I spoke with Tom and I am 100% his Molnar "power adder" rods will live a long life.

I honestly can't wait. Another late night here tonight...

Matt

Reactions: Capt.EKB

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Changed the exit angle and port sizes. 3" inlets and 4" outlet now. Just finished up making my alternator bracket and figuring out the upper radiator hose configuration. Radiator hose made up of a 2006 f150 5.4 and a lightning.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Definitely some talent Matt! 👍🏻

Reactions: Painless Autoworks

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just about finalized my a/c hose re-routing. Waiting on a piece of #8 reduced barrier hose then that project is done. TIG welding thin aluminum sucks..............

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Started working on the onboard air system. Waiting on a few fittings and stopped the morning plate off at powdercoat. Utilized some old mounting holes from a methanol tank I had mounted back there years ago.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Started working on the onboard air system. Waiting on a few fittings and stopped the morning plate off at powdercoat. Utilized some old mounting holes from a methanol tank I had mounted back there years ago.
What’s the intent for this? Just to have it?

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts