Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ive got a buddy who has recently ported the blower on his truck and bought an email tune with the option to retune as many times as possible. I wont name the name of the tuner for respect but i can't figure out why they won't cooperate with him. The truck sees ~10.5 a WOT and the timing at WOT is 14* im not sure about any of the knock variances etc. His truck should be a whole new truck with the ported blower, but with the pig rich set up from the tuner he can't get any track numbers. H has contacted the tuner and even emailed a final data log on the truck and was pretty told to f off. He paid 200$ for this tune and i personally would be through the roof with the outcome. He should dyno the truck but he didn't have the funds at the time and figured they would get his truck closer than that. Any ideas? Ive ran mine at 16* and 11.5 afr for a year with no issue.

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts
If he has a wideband...... Bump the timing 2* global. Then check the Wideband and the datalog. Not sure if I would mess with the fuel, but if I had a wideband.... I would. Hope it is not the tuner in my sig. Nothing but great things from them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the global timing "global spark" in the sct? He does have a wideband. i will see if he can bump the timing 2* but im not sure if he can cut any fuel. He has a aem uego. I just thought for sure they would get it closer than that! no its not amazon.Still even if the timing is upped the afr will not be affected i dont think? 10.5 is ridiculous i wouldn't have stood for that. He paid them 100$ and then when he needed a tweak they charged im another 100$ and barely changed a thing and now doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with the tune.

·
2,428 Posts
Global spark is correct..... Not sure about the fuel though. My old predator could adjust fuel in increments. Never played with the SCT...... Rick dialed me in right off the bat. Tell your bud to cut his loss and call Rick or Linn.

Good Luck

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would def agree! but i hate to see him eat 200$ because a reputable tuner gives him the cold shoulder and just pockets the money. Its bs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I almost forgot! I actually had the guy do a on the fly tune on my truck with just a pulley and bolt ons a few years ago. His tune only made my truck go 13.9 i dyno it with the exact same setup and it goes 13.3 wtf!!!

·
2,428 Posts
time for a change

·
Registered
862 Posts
The tuner probably isnt comfortable adding any timing. Thats just one of the things that you have to deal with. Especially with an email tune. Some tuners have "better safe than sorry" attitude. And to be honest, I dont really see anything wrong with that. :smt102

·
Registered
84 Posts
Global spark is correct..... Not sure about the fuel though. My old predator could adjust fuel in increments. Never played with the SCT...... Rick dialed me in right off the bat. Tell your bud to cut his loss and call Rick or Linn.

Good Luck
SCT has an option to add fuel, the same as diablo, but "only" if the tuner enabled those features on the tune, just plug the tuner on the truck and try to to flash the tune again, and just before it starts the flashing process, its going to ask you if you want to modify the tune, (but only if the tuner enable the options in the tune)........if those options are available, just add 2* of global spark, and go to WOT fuel and add 10% more from 2500 rpms and up, and that should put you on the 11.5-11.6 range.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
Many will say a well-documented email tune can be very good, but in all honesty, every tuner would prefer to have the vehicle right there in his shop. I just had mine tuned locally by Paul Albino at Total Induction. It was a two day session because Paul discovered on Friday the truck was running way too lean at the top end on the dyno and out on the road test. He tried all sorts of adjustments, and then proved out his theory by connecting one of the dyno's sensors to my fuel rail. He suspected fuel pump issues. The following Monday we pulled the fuel pumps and he tested both... one was totally dead. Replaced them with dual Bosch's and he again took the truck for a ride, watching my A/F gauge when he bore down. Problem solved, strapped her back on the dyno and finished the tune properly (boy, can I feel a difference).

If somebody sent me an email tune and I went to the track or hit it hard on the highway, who knows which rod would've went through the block. Paul even cautioned me over that weekend not to get into boost until we checked the pumps on Monday morning. Is an email tune going to do that? Or take a few rides in the truck to "feel, hear, and see" what is happening?

Bottom line is your friend should chalk up the $200 to knowing not to deal with someone who blows them off. A happy customer is the tuner's best friend and best advertisement. Go find a local tuner who knows what he's doing and watch and learn while he tunes it in front of you.

Just my $ .02

Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah he shopped around for quite a while for which tuner to choose and landed on a pretty well known one and i wouldn't expect it from them but besides the point. I agree that the timing could be a bit conservative based on their way of looking at it but there is no reason for him to be 10.5 afr at wot that is ridiculous. No way around its garbage. Im sure he has lost the 200$ but email tunes are for the birds i said that from day one.

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
dyno>email

I feel alot more comfortable having my truck there and letting them have hands on tuning and make it perfect before I leave the shop knowing I can make it home it one piece. Email tunes are cheap and affective but I prefer the tuner to have my truck and tune it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i was always biased to dyno tuning. Email tuning is garbage on these trucks. Now in other scenarios (my evo for example) the guy road tuned mine and dialed it in better than any dyno ever could have. But that is a stand alone ems which is a whole other category from a tuner plug and play. But a dyno is about the only way to go with these trucks if you ask me.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Bottom line is your friend should chalk up the $200 to knowing not to deal with someone who blows them off. A happy customer is the tuner's best friend and best advertisement. Go find a local tuner who knows what he's doing and watch and learn while he tunes it in front of you.
Im guessing the tuner is blowing him off because he tired of saying no to changing the tune. Usually a flat rate with unlimited tunes is for added mods. Not tweaks if they are uncofortable doing them. :potstirring :bolt

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its not like he is asking him to tweak it down to the nitty gritty. The trucks afr is pig rich and not even close to where it should be. Anywhere in the 10's is too conservative and not worth the money of the tune. If you aren't comfortable making the tune at east 11.0-11.1 (which is still rich) i think you should consider a different career lol.

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
vacuum leaks, mechanical issues, stuff installed incorrectly or not plugged in etc...will hinder remote tuning greatly....

if the tuner has commanded a/f's and everything for the mods done to the truck...especially after the tuner has made changes to the tune based off of most recent data logs and its not responding accordingly then 9 times outta 10 there is something that has been overlooked by the individual requesting the tune.....

·
trust me... you cant do what i do!
5,848 Posts
vacuum leaks, mechanical issues, stuff installed incorrectly or not plugged in etc...will hinder remote tuning greatly....

if the tuner has commanded a/f's and everything for the mods done to the truck...especially after the tuner has made changes to the tune based off of most recent data logs and its not responding accordingly then 9 times outta 10 there is something that has been overlooked by the individual requesting the tune.....
tuner might want to suggest to look over the truck and make sure there are no other issues. not sure if they have since im not involved in anyway. but blowing the dude off isnt the way to go about it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
he sent him the complete data log of the truck as it sets and got a virtual middle finger via email lol. IDK i guess he should just cut his losses and go to blankenships dyno. Same relative price for twice the results as it appears.

·
2,428 Posts
I would love to dyno at Rick's, but with my mods.... It would not be worth it. Rick has the tune dialed in. If I go Kenne or Whip, then yeah... .Dyno for sure.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts