Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone could help me out. Today i installed a autometer water temp and boost gauge. Everything was working perfect during the installation and after before putting it all back together the truck ran gauges worked. As i was installing the dash pieces back in the wire i used to tap into the ignition got pinched between two pieces of metal i didnt notice it. As soon as i turned the key to the on position the wire shorted, no smoke no nothing. I can only assume it shorted due to the wire being grounded and pinched in the dash. Well now the truck wont start, if i put the key in the on position nothing on the dash comes on, after about a minute a few lights come on the most noticeable being the "theft" light flashing rapidly then slowing down after about 30 seconds, the odotmeter comes on but only shows "--------" Im lost and frustrated that it was all good until one dumb mistake. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Yeah It's Stock
2,829 Posts
Did you check all your fuses both under the dash and under the hood?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i did i checked inside and outside, i didnt seen any blown fuses. I know for sure when i turn the key to the on position im not getting any power out, the temp gauge is tapped into the wire coming off the ignition so it comes on when i turn the key. Everything in the cab works lights radio chime, the stock gauges dont come on fuel doesnt do anything or the battery gauge. turn the key and nothing happens. only thing it does is after a few seconds the thef light flashes really fast and the odometer shows "---------"

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ok whatever wire you pinched , trace it as far as you can in both directions.

Then ohm it. One end to ground. Other end to ground. End to end.
This will tell you if it's open because it melted, or if it's shorting to ground.

No offense but the fact that you don't know what you pinched or what you tapped into makes me think your electrical work performed may not be optimal.

Sounds like maybe you ****ed up more than one. Cause your pats receiver would cause no start but has nothing to do with dash lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im no pro but it was at the very end i wasnt paying attention. but the wire i pinched is the power wire for the temp gauge, its tapped into a wire that is hot when the key is in the on position. it was just that wire nothing else, ill take a look again tomorrow when im not aggravated or tired of working on it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts