Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to sound real crazy... But my 2000 Lightning got struck by lightning 2 weeks ago on I-95 North coming out of Florida. While I was driving, lightning struck right next to me and ended up hitting my truck thru the antenna. All the dash lights went off, and the theft light started flashing real fast. The truck was still running, but I pulled off on the side of the road to turn the truck off and then back on to see if everything went back to normal. Turned the truck off and everything went back ok, dash lights went away, windows, lights, etc were working normally as if the truck was ok. So I went to crank the truck & it just cranked, but didn't start.... After waiting forever on a tow truck, i finally got it home. Two days later I did a fuel and spark test, truck gets fuel to the rail & the truck gets spark. Something odd I did notice, the theft light flashes while trying to crank the truck. I've read forum after forum of people having the same problem, some say relays & fuses. Every fuse was FINE, and all relays were fine!!! Could it be my key? Yeah I have a claim with my insurance but I'd love to fix it on my own without having to pay a $1000 deductible. ANY HELP WOULD BE WONDERFUL!!!! - Kyle.

·
SVT Poster
89 Posts
I had a truck with a few keys and one of the keys did not have the code, and my son tried to use it and it obviously did not work. It also did the theft thing, which actually throws a code. I grabbed my Predator and cleared the codes... used a good key and everything as fine.

So if you have a SCT or Predator loader, try clearing codes... then use a different (good) key and see what happens... then if that's good try the key in question and see if it works. If it throws the Theft light again, you know that key needs recoded and the codes cleared again. But it may work also once you cleared the codes.

If you don't have a loader to clear codes, go to advance auto...

The antenna strike probably took out the tuner in your radio? Amongst the wire itself. The Lightning strike definitely caused a glitch in the Matrix!

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Could be a PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
truck won't start

once I tried putting an old superchips edge card chip from my 01L that I pulled out before selling back in 04 into my recently purchased 03L work truck.when I cranked it the theft light just flashed at a pretty fast rate but no start.i figured that the chip must have self initialized to my 01 making it unusable in any other computer.(however superchips gave me 40% trade in discount for a programmer on the way).I could be wrong about my case but thought it might help you knowing how I got the same fail to start theft lamp.good luck..hope you are up and running soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When the theft light is flashing, does your odometer read the mileage? Or does it read dashes? If it's dashes then your instrument cluster is not communicating with the PCM. It's possible that the Lightning strike could of fried your PCM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts