Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my truck to the local track this weekend to make a few runs. the moment the truck hits 3rd gear it flat out quits pulling. Has a helacious rattle coming from under the hood too. Idk if its in the tune or if i have something wrong. Ive got a 4lb lower, lfp TB, c&l s/c plenum, jlp filter box, c&l intake elbow. im running NGK TR6 plugs. I just got my starter tune from JJ because the one that came in the kit from LFP was a joke. just wondering if n e one else has had problems like this or if the tune just needs to be revised.

thanx everyone

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Just guessing that your IAT2's were high enough that the truck was pulling some timing...They will usually start pulling timing when they reach 150*...With the weather the way it is most places that is likely to happen unless you are icing or have a Killer Chiller.

·
FUBARed
1,159 Posts
Sounds like you are detonating. Stay out of it until your tune is adjusted or you might be shopping for a new engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your close to venting your block , pull your plugs and check , reason it is not pulling in 3rd engine is fighting itself preigniting fuel before piston is at the top.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Took my truck to the local track this weekend to make a few runs. the moment the truck hits 3rd gear it flat out quits pulling. Has a helacious rattle coming from under the hood too. Idk if its in the tune or if i have something wrong. Ive got a 4lb lower, lfp TB, c&l s/c plenum, jlp filter box, c&l intake elbow. im running NGK TR6 plugs. I just got my starter tune from JJ because the one that came in the kit from LFP was a joke. just wondering if n e one else has had problems like this or if the tune just needs to be revised.

thanx everyone

What octane did JJ tune it for, if this is a starter tune make sure gas octane is where it should be if you are tuned for 93 octane you can't get into boost with 91 octane??:bigtu

·
THE PROPER WAY TO POWDER THAT ASS
7,531 Posts
Holy God I cant believe it didnt blow. Thank God I should say. Yes that rattle is detonation. Your intercooler pump is shot I bet. Even still you need to address your tune. I ran without an intercooler pump for 2 months and never detonated once,and yess I got on it many times.I saw my iats go above 200 once while going from 70-115 just to watch the timing. The timing went from 16 to like 10 or 9 and God it was slow. Iats went from 135 to 210 or so.

Anytime you here that crackle get out of it imediately. check your intercooler resevoir to see if the fluid is circulating. good luck sir

·
THE PROPER WAY TO POWDER THAT ASS
7,531 Posts
oh and a starter tune is just that, a base from which to start. You need to get with JJ so he can llok at your logs and adjust acordingly. He is very good about adjusting the tune but he needs you to log it for him.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx for the help fella's. Im going to pull the plugs tonight after work and check them out. goin to log it tomorrow and get it sent to jj. how much is a new intercooler pump or n e other suggestions??????

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
not sure on the pump, but if they are white you were burning them up running lean.

i would take some serious caution with it until you fix the problem you dont want to be part of the motor sploder club

·
11 sec. Eaton Truck!
381 Posts
I just replaced my intercooler pump. Got a brand new Ford Racing pump for $90 on ebay. Look for Blue Oval Industries.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't think you should be doing WOT runs until you get your tune dialed in.

·
skittles (taste the rainbow)
2,298 Posts
i have seen the intercooler pumps on ebay for cheap..lets us know what you find out..good luck man.. i bet you can't eat or sleep right now..at least that is how i get when something ain't right

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanx guys, didnt get the chance to pull my plugs tonight but ill do it tomorrow on my lunch break. im the service manager and head tech at Pro Motorsports (yamaha dealership) and build our race motors from street bikes to snow mobiles to dirt bikes so i know what to look for. i had a bolt on 03 cobra before but ive never heard n e thing spark rattle that bad. think im gonna put the slicks on hold and get a killer chiller coming. just gonna have to get a lil more life out of those ragged out nittos

·
01 L
2,813 Posts
thanx guys, didnt get the chance to pull my plugs tonight but ill do it tomorrow on my lunch break. im the service manager and head tech at Pro Motorsports (yamaha dealership) and build our race motors from street bikes to snow mobiles to dirt bikes so i know what to look for. i had a bolt on 03 cobra before but ive never heard n e thing spark rattle that bad. think im gonna put the slicks on hold and get a killer chiller coming. just gonna have to get a lil more life out of those ragged out nittos
no WOT runs though. get a good dialed in conservatibe tune first. please

1 - 18 of 18 Posts