Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i am restoring a 99 that has been sitting for almost 8 years. I have removed the bed and i am planning to install new fuel pumps. But i am curious is there anything major or cosmetic i should do before i put the bed back on?

I do not want to remove the bed again for a long time so any information or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced for all replies.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If your doing any sort of suspension work now would be the time. Hangers, Shackles springs any thing to lower it. Also traction bars. Some have also removed the spare tire stuff and emissions stuff back there as well like the canister etc. Totally up to how far you want to take the truck. But Since its off I would be doing any and all suspension work I could for the rear right now. even the stifflers x brace

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
Clean up the frame, as most trucks that are 11-16 years old have some sort of surface rust if they haven't been gone over.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Just recently pulled the bed and did the following:
Frame cleaning and 4 coats POR15
JLP shackles
Belltech Hangers
Belltech C-Notch
255 Fuel Pumps
Broncobearer Spyder Brace, Panhars, Longbars, and Shock flip kit
Rodeo Bilstein shocks
All new Bushings
Cleaned and painted the leaf packs and sway bar
Removed the hitch and spare wench

·
Old Guys Rule
74 Posts
Hey anybody that has removed a spare tire winch and would like to get rid of it...the previous owner removed the one on my truck and I'd like to put mine back...

I'll pay shipping on one complete rather than have it go in the trash...

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming....

PM me...

Cecil

·
Registered
151 Posts
The intake Y should be replaced with a better 1 ifit hasnt been,ateast thats what ive read here and plan to do lol

·
Registered
259 Posts
Lots of stuff to do.

Change diff fluid - since it has been sitting so long. (New pinion seal if it needs it)

New brake hoses in the back. Check the lines for corrosion too.

Paint calipers.

Paint the drive shaft - these were steel in 99.

New shocks.

New fuel pumps, socks, intake hose (use the proper submersible hose) in tank Y fitting, new clamps.

New fuel filter.

Basically anything you might have to crawl under there and do, do now. You will be thanking yourself later.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the ideas i will act on all of them. where does anyone recommend getting all necessary things? and specifically where do you find that Y fitting. Thanks again for all replies

·
Registered
967 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas i will act on all of them. where does anyone recommend getting all necessary things? and specifically where do you find that Y fitting. Thanks again for all replies
I believe I got my Stainless Y fitting from LFP. I wouldn't recommend getting their 'kit'. Also, don't forget to get fuel hose specific clamps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks i have already purchased fuel pumps, correct clamps, fuel lines , brake lines, fuel filters and POR15. I will search for the y fitting tomorrow thanks again everyone

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
bump. I'm doing this as well. truck been sitting for 3 years. but I'm in SoCal, so no real rust issues.

what is POR15?
where do get SS Y fitting?
255 fuel pumps.
bronco beater suspension
paint all applicable parts. what do you recommend?

·
Registered
01 Lightning
166 Posts
bump. I'm doing this as well. truck been sitting for 3 years. but I'm in SoCal, so no real rust issues.

what is POR15?
where do get SS Y fitting?
255 fuel pumps.
bronco beater suspension
paint all applicable parts. what do you recommend?

LFP has the Y fitting and 255 pumps.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Lots of stuff to do.

Change diff fluid - since it has been sitting so long. (New pinion seal if it needs it)

New brake hoses in the back. Check the lines for corrosion too.

Paint calipers.

Paint the drive shaft - these were steel in 99.

New shocks.

New fuel pumps, socks, intake hose (use the proper submersible hose) in tank Y fitting, new clamps.

New fuel filter.

Basically anything you might have to crawl under there and do, do now. You will be thanking yourself later.
Were the drive shaft s painted from the factory?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just recently pulled the bed and did the following:
Frame cleaning and 4 coats POR15
JLP shackles
Belltech Hangers
Belltech C-Notch
255 Fuel Pumps
Broncobearer Spyder Brace, Panhars, Longbars, and Shock flip kit
Rodeo Bilstein shocks
All new Bushings
Cleaned and painted the leaf packs and sway bar
Removed the hitch and spare wench
Do you have any pictures of the c notch and panhard bar installed?

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,884 Posts
Paint the drive shaft - these were steel in 99
wouldnt a better idea be just to replace the drive shaft? that's some old ujoints. Id hate for one to let go. I have the same issue right now. I'm going to replace mine asap. Found a local place to do an aluminum one for cheaper than JDM's. Proven on 8-9 sec cars too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts