Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some cams floating around out there that are way too big for the Trickflow head so be careful.

Pretty much anything over .580 lift you should walk away from. I'm not sure how these cams got out there or why they were spec'd out larger then the cylinder head design will allow but I've seen them for sale but out of respect for the seller (s) I have not commented.

One set that I know of made its way into someones truck and wound up doing damage, bent valves etc... Needless to say the owner of the truck ate the cost of the repairs. Those cams were sent back but wound up for sale again, not sure who got them the second time.

Way back when the TF head first came out in 2009 I was the first shop to grab a set and I took them to L&M engines in Hatboro PA, Mike up there checked them and realized the valvetrain geometry was different from the PI Head but also checked for how big of a cam you could use due to the re design of the head. Here is a good read that he came up with years ago, now everyone else is spouting off this information like they came up with it when in fact they need to give credit to L&M for this;

I have been using TF heads on Lightnings longer then anyone else and have most likely installed and tuned more sets then anyone else for these trucks. We have gotten mid 700hp with ease out of these heads straight out of the box with no problems. Most of our builds are street trucks in the mid to high 600hp range and the cams we have been using for 10 years have proven to make power at all levels in these heads.

So please, when shopping for cams for these heads do your research, dont go just by word of mouth or think that bigger is better, because in the case of the TF head, its not.

[email protected]

·
Professional Lackey
402 Posts
If .580 is too much lift what’s the actual limit for the TF heads? Not that I need to know, I’m just curious.

·
local painter
2,910 Posts
I read that article years ago. It’s what compelled me to use L&M for designing my cams for the TFS heads.
Here’s what he came up with for my trucks setup. I don’t have a really wild build
2B470C03-B290-45D7-B0CD-6AC70A83EE8E.jpeg
129BF150-F91A-40C3-84BA-5CBC92B938B6.jpeg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts