Lightning Rodder banner

Trick Intercooler Group Buy?

19K views 180 replies 27 participants last post by  EvilEvoIX 
#1 · (Edited)
Would anyone be interested in a small group buy of Trick Intercoolers?

I spoke with them and they can do 900 shipped if 5 or more a purchased. Saves about 50 bucks they are regularly 925 plus shipping. If you do not need adapter plate and run one of JCs plates that are designed for trick Intercooler take another 25 off.

I am just seeing if anyone would be interested. If this is the wrong area or not allowed here please let me know. I see people asking about them from time to time so wanted to check.

production takes 2-3 weeks after orders are placed

Thanks

#2 ·
I’m interested but will have to catch the next one.

Reactions: bigdogcamwu
#4 ·
Yeah I was hoping for more said they don’t have a lot of markup in them.

#8 ·
Reactions: BlowerWhore
#9 · (Edited)
Whats wrong with the LFP intercooler? Thats the one I have and it seems to work fine. Plus its only $700 (or less, they're open to negotiation). Its dual pass, which as far as I'm concerned is superior to a single pass. Just gotta make sure you have a decent pump (I run an AMG Mercedes pump). The only negative I have with it is that they neck down the hose connections to fit the stock 5/8" hoses, but since they're custom made, I would think keeping them at 3/4 like the Trick would be a non-issue.

#17 ·
A single pass is much less restrictive. The coolant will circulate more times per pass. Which makes the use of ice much more effective.

Reactions: wildtrklightning
#11 ·
The Trick is a 11 row single pass with 3/4"
LFP is more of a stock replacement.
I don't see Single pass as a positive at all. In fact, according to multiple sites, single pass would be a street replacement, where double or triple pass would be more for race use.

LFP is also a 3/4", except for the ends of the tubes which are necked down for the stock lines.

Again, I don't see where Trick is better.

#14 ·
I am not going to bash the LFP but it has been the consensus for as long as I can remember that the Trick intercooler was the best option available. I would suspect the LFP is better than stock be nice to test them side by side. I would think Trick would not sell many if the LFP was better and cheaper. would like to hear from others running LFP or perhaps have had both and can comment on this.

Glad you are happy with yours did you get before and after tests of temps to see the improvemen?

#15 ·
I got no testing done. The stock one was leaking into the motor when I got the truck, so I just replaced it. I considered the LFP to be the better choice because it’s a dual pass vs the single pass. I was always taught that the more passes the better, like stated in my link above. Trick is claiming the opposite which seems counter intuitive to me.

#16 ·
Honestly ive always wondered how its a single pass if the inward line and outward line are the same as stock.... if its a true single pass wld it not come in the back and go out the front or viseversa? How is it a single when everything else is a double(duel) pass?

#22 ·
Sounds good we are at 3 so far! ?

Reactions: NMSVT
#27 ·
Sounds good man! (y)

Reactions: NMSVT
#29 · (Edited)
I will reach out to them about payment and how we have to go about the order. I will let everyone know once I hear back from them. I know lead time is 2-3 weeks after order is placed for fabrication.

#30 ·
List so far and making sure everyone is still in

Bigdogcamwu
Blowerwhore
Truckdoctor
NMSVT
GAGT

I also spoke with them if we get to 10 or more they will do 875 shipped. That is a little more savings if anyone was on the fence maybe that helps. Only took a couple days to get to 5 people. Let me know what you guys think. I am fine with waiting a little bit to get more of a discount.

#31 ·
List so far and making sure everyone is still in

Bigdogcamwu
Blowerwhore
Truckdoctor
NMSVT
GAGT

I also spoke with them if we get to 10 or more they will do 875 shipped. That is a little more savings if anyone was on the fence maybe that helps. Only took a couple days to get to 5 people. Let me know what you guys think. I am fine with waiting a little bit to get more of a discount.
I’m defly in for $875. So if we hit 10 plus. I’m in

#34 ·
An intercooler air/water inter cooler is completely different then a radiator or heat exchanger. One uses water to absorb heat (move heat from one area to another). The other uses ambient air to absorb heat. (Move heat from one area to the next).
Water will absorb more heat then air.
The bigger the split in temperature from hot air to cold water the great the transfer will be. So you want your inter cooler to be as cold as possible. Only way to make the entire core cold is to make the cold water haul ass through there and only once. This is not a radiator. Making the water go through the core twice does not allow you to make that core cold.
Our intercooler is the only single pass core I know of in this market. It’s also the largest. 11rows just move more air then 10rows can.

not knocking anyone’s core design. Ours is unique and has proven itself for a very long time.

would love to build a bigger one for one of those custom Midplates. But would require them to modify there design.

#35 ·
An intercooler air/water inter cooler is completely different then a radiator or heat exchanger. One uses water to absorb heat (move heat from one area to another). The other uses ambient air to absorb heat. (Move heat from one area to the next).
Water will absorb more heat then air.
The bigger the split in temperature from hot air to cold water the great the transfer will be. So you want your inter cooler to be as cold as possible. Only way to make the entire core cold is to make the cold water haul ass through there and only once. This is not a radiator. Making the water go through the core twice does not allow you to make that core cold.
Our intercooler is the only single pass core I know of in this market. It’s also the largest. 11rows just move more air then 10rows can.

not knocking anyone’s core design. Ours is unique and has proven itself for a very long time.

would love to build a bigger one for one of those custom Midplates. But would require them to modify there design.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Appreciate you working with us on this group buy and for taking the time to explain more about the design.

Building a bigger one sounds like a great idea I wonder how hard it would be for JC to change the design to work with it?

#39 ·
I put a post up on Facebook to reach more people as I know not everyone is on LR or frequent the site. I have one person so far saying they are in Cody Berreth. So that would put us at 6 so far.

#41 ·
It would make it not stock anymore haha time to do some mods?

#44 ·
That looks awesome! (y)

#59 ·
Awesome we are at 7 so far(y)

Bigdogcamwu
Blowerwhore
Truckdoctor
NMSVT
GAGT
ami2fst4u
Cody Berreth FB

#63 ·
We are at 8 right now NMSVT recruited one today

Bigdogcamwu
Blowerwhore
Truckdoctor
NMSVT
GAGT
ami2fst4u
Cody Berreth FB
SFSVT

Only a few more to go would like to get to 11 or 12 knowing someone could back out.

Keep spreading the word

#65 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.